Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 2 year anniversary
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  11:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Today is my 2nd year of doing AYP practices and I would like to share some observation. Before AYP zero meditation in my life, now I meditate every day almost always twice a day. My progress is slower than I would like, but I'm sure everybody could say that. I feel somewhat confused as to the term "Inner Silence" and by that I mean I just don't think I have achieved IT yet or maybe I have to some small degree and just haven't noticed it yet. I meditate approx. 45%at home, 45% in my car and about 10% wherever else I may be. I often use earplugs. From the first day I stumbled onto AYP website and started reading the Main Lessons I knew unquestionably that this was Truth, that what Yogani was writing was what I have been looking for my entire adult life, I am 56 yrs. old. And I feel as certain today as I did Dec. 20th 2005. I lay no blame anywhere outside of myself for what I consider to be slow progress and it only makes me more determined to stick with my twice daily sitting practice. I know I need to tweak back on my daily evening ritual of "social drinking" of Single Malts, Fine Wines, and an occasional Cubano.

I'm not really sure what my expectations are or what type of experiences I think I should have, only that my meditations 2 years later aren't much different than say 12 months ago. I also think it I'm having trouble "letting go" or "surrendering" to what I'm not sure. Maybe I just need to chill and not worry about it. I wish I could let go. Relax. Until then I'll just follow Yogani's advice and just favor the practice and honor my twice a day sitting. Thanks for listening. Thanks Yogani.

Guy

mikkiji

USA
219 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  12:23:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit mikkiji's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Guy!
Progress slower than I would like, yes indeed--but you are so new at this, 2 years is still the honeymoon. I'm about your age (55), but began my meditation practices in 1970, so I have a 35 year head start on you. Your progress is just as it is, all you need is to ensure that you maintain a sincere desire to do as good as you can in all of your practices. What we eat, drink or smoke has some bearing on spiritual progress, but it not the major factor. Karma, meditation and living life in the moment do most of our work. There is very little that can be done in the way of forcing progress or hurrying things along. Staying in a retreat, or ashram, for extended periods of time can be very helpful for fueling the vehicle of you spiritual journey and gaining speed, but is not for everyone, and can be very impractical for those of us living in the material world. I was fortunate enough to spend from 1974-1976 in retreat, plus summers in '77 and '78. The boost from that has had to carry me through all the years of householder life, and proved to be quite sufficient to keep my progress realistically moving toward the goal.

The most helpful thing you can do to help your spiritual progress is to assume an attitude of joy every moment of every day, to live life--every moment of it--consciously, aware of everything. The Inner Silence you seek is already there, it is the core of your very being. Nothing need be added, only taken away. Beneath the jumble of sensations, perceptions, memories and thought, at the base of your mind, is that silence. That is your true Being, your real Self. Shhhhh, quiet... there... you see, how easy it is? Live a natural life, be thankful and compassionate, and do your meditations, and if the opportunity arises to go on retreat, take it, but most of all, live life consciously and joyously, there is nothing more to do.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - Dec 20 2007 :  1:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Guy,

quote:
Maybe I just need to chill and not worry about it....Relax. Until then I'll just follow Yogani's advice and just favor the practice and honor my twice a day sitting.

Yep.

I know that sometimes it seems like you are treading water, but when you look back, I think you will find that the time you spent practiceing AYP was your biggest bargain.

Best, yb.
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  12:45:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Michael, very well said. Thank you. And thank you Guy, for sharing your thoughts on your two year anniversary.... Blessings to you and I hope you continue your practices...

light and love,
Kathy
Go to Top of Page

Sparkle

Ireland
1457 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  01:17:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Sparkle's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Guy said:From the first day I stumbled onto AYP website and started reading the Main Lessons I knew unquestionably that this was Truth, that what Yogani was writing was what I have been looking for my entire adult life, I am 56 yrs. old. And I feel as certain today as I did Dec. 20th 2005. I lay no blame anywhere outside of myself for what I consider to be slow progress and it only makes me more determined to stick with my twice daily sitting practice
Hi Guy
Thanks for the inspiring post. The knowing that you have, about the practice,and the way you have stuck by it despite the lack of scenery brings a warmth to my heart.
If it brings this warmth to my heart I must know it does the same for you in some way and to the people around you.

Gratitude friend
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2007 :  08:46:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all for your wonderful feedback.
Michael for your wisdom
Kathy for your Blessings
YB for your wonderful hindsight
Louis my friend, Nollaig shona duit

Love to all

Guy
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  08:49:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by robertjames

Today is my 2nd year of doing AYP practices and I would like to share some observation. Before AYP zero meditation in my life, now I meditate every day almost always twice a day. My progress is slower than I would like, but I'm sure everybody could say that. I feel somewhat confused as to the term "Inner Silence" and by that I mean I just don't think I have achieved IT yet or maybe I have to some small degree and just haven't noticed it yet. I meditate approx. 45%at home, 45% in my car and about 10% wherever else I may be. I often use earplugs. From the first day I stumbled onto AYP website and started reading the Main Lessons I knew unquestionably that this was Truth, that what Yogani was writing was what I have been looking for my entire adult life, I am 56 yrs. old. And I feel as certain today as I did Dec. 20th 2005. I lay no blame anywhere outside of myself for what I consider to be slow progress and it only makes me more determined to stick with my twice daily sitting practice. I know I need to tweak back on my daily evening ritual of "social drinking" of Single Malts, Fine Wines, and an occasional Cubano.
I'm not really sure what my expectations are or what type of experiences I think I should have, only that my meditations 2 years later aren't much different than say 12 months ago. I also think it I'm having trouble "letting go" or "surrendering" to what I'm not sure. Maybe I just need to chill and not worry about it. I wish I could let go. Relax. Until then I'll just follow Yogani's advice and just favor the practice and honor my twice a day sitting. Thanks for listening. Thanks Yogani.
Guy

Hi Guy,
When the feeling is strongest that "I have not made any progress", "I am not achieving anything", "I am going nowhere".. the changes happening within are at its max. Reason.. there is nowhere to go.. nothing to achieve.. no progress to be made. The restlessness comes because your inner silence is trying to tell you to drop the expectations 'cause you are already there.. and just because it does not look like what you think it should look like.. you are missing it. When someone tells you .. you will meet God.. you have an image of what God is.. and when he brushes your face as a butterfly.. you miss it.. because you are waiting for him to show up in the form you have made in your mind.

This journey is a journey to achieve "nothing". If people tell you this.. no one will follow the path. So spirituality is made to sound like something that is so magnificent and so vast and soooo very out there (which it is because it is beyond the mind's comprehension that "nothing" can be so awesome).. when in reality.. it is right here.. right now.. and if you just stop trying to measure your progress with the measurement scale you have let your mind create.. you will find you have actually moved far ahead and you don't know it because you are trying to see it with what your "ego" has defined progress in your mind. You have a preconceived idea of what you should feel and see.. and when you are stuck to this.. you miss the endless blessing and miracles happening every second in your life.

The hardest part of yoga is to unlearn all the concepts we have imagined.. and when you drop that.. when you drop imagination.. when you drop the concepts.. when you drop the ego stories of what it should be.. you will experience "what is". Just because your mind is not getting the satisfaction of seeing progress like it thinks progress should be.. you think there is nothing happening. If you drop the thought.. "I need to experience bliss", "I need to see through my third eye", "I need to experience scenery".. you will actually experience all you are looking for.. just not in the form you are expecting it. This post of yours actually shows how much your silence is craving for you to drop the filters. Just allow.. just open.. be ready to accept whatever comes your way, in whatever form, with an open heart, without analyzing, explaining, contemplating. Practice.. Open.. Allow... that is all there is for us to do.

Guy, you are already there... just drop the expectation.. not the expectation of when you are going to see some progress as defined by your ego.. but the expectation of progress itself.

Wish you a very Merry Christmas and an awesome 2008.
Oh yes...
...and a very Happy second anniversary.

Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Dec 23 2007 :  10:25:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Shanti

I want you to know how much your words of wisdom and encouragement mean to me. You put things in a perspective that really hit home. Thank you my friend.

Guy
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Dec 25 2007 :  11:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lot's of great wisdom above, the thought that there isn't progress, or that it isn't quick enough, is resistance in itself, and only serves to slow us down. It creates a stress in the body, that the body must devote resources to balance. Letting go of the thought of progress, will actually speed the process of transformation. In other words, not worrying about progress is the quickest way to travel the path home.

quote:
live life consciously and joyously, there is nothing more to do.

Beautifully summarized Michael, thanks for that. Encouragement to Guy to bring that joy into practices, to love the manta "i am" that gives itself in service to you each and every day, so that you may use it to find your way home. Gratefulness to the pranayama breathing which clears the path, so that we may make the trip more quickly.

Edited by - Anthem on Dec 25 2007 11:25:10 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000