Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 sensations at the crown: good or bad?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  04:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All,
On numerous occasions I've read, both here at the forum and elsewhere, about 'pin-prick' sensations at the crown or the feeling of 'sunburn on the inside of the head.' Although words like 'pin' and 'sunburn' bring negative connotations related to pain, on the occasions my crown speaks to me it feels more like a pleasant sunbathing sensation. No burn, just tan so far. It does also feel like a pin slightly pressing into me, but the word 'pain' certainly doesn't come to mind. It's almost pleasant (and I'm not a masochist)

I guess any sensation at the crown is a bit of a warning sign. Nevertheless, should we listen more to the quality of the sensation or the fact that it's simply present?

Here's an analogy: while we don't need to worry about self-pacing if we feel pleasant energy running up and down our spine, if we were hit by a kundalini jolt (ie. different quality of the same energy) in the same area of our body, our reaction would be rather different and self-pacing would become almost inevitable.

Thanks for your thoughts!

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Dec 04 2007 :  09:25:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tallis,

You are right. When doing AYP, it will be common and normal that sensations occur in the crown. That in itself is not a warning sign. You will have to use the quality of the sensations to determine your self-pacing. If they start to get unpleasant it's definitely time to self-pace. Also, the effects of any yoga practices can be delayed, so the sensations you experience now can be the effect of what practices you have built up for a long time, and likewise, when you apply self-pacing it may take a good while before you see effects of it. Therefore it's best to be cautious in general in our application of practices.

Also, we never focus our attention in the crown (unless in advanced practices designed so). Being aware of the sensations in a passive way is in itself not dangerous, and is often inevitable when they get pronounced, but the more we can disregard them in terms of attention the better. If we should use a guideline when crown sensations are to be called excessive, it could be when they get pronounced enough that it's difficult to be unware of them in daily life. Then it would be advisable to self-pace our practices accordingly. In my own case I have even found it necessary to suspend AYP practices for periods of time to manage unpleasant crown activity.
Go to Top of Page

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Dec 05 2007 :  04:10:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Weaver,
I guess the gist of what you're saying is that all these sensations at the crown are ok as long as you're in control of the situation. (But are we ever really in control?...) I guess that the risk, if you're at all aggressive in your practices, is truly keeping perspective and maintaining balance.

I do sometimes get crown sensations in daily life as well (mostly in the morning for whatever reason), but then it's enough to draw my attention away and that's that. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  11:08:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tallis,

quote:
I do sometimes get crown sensations in daily life as well (mostly in the morning for whatever reason), but then it's enough to draw my attention away and that's that. Thanks!

I also get sensations at the crown during the day. I don't see it as a cause for concern primarily... but if I started getting touchy and irritable (which does happen sometimes), or spaced out or angry, then I would see that as more of a sign that things are a little out of hand.

quote:
I guess the gist of what you're saying is that all these sensations at the crown are ok as long as you're in control of the situation. (But are we ever really in control?...)

Hopefully we are.... can't imagine who is if we are not!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  11:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi again

quote:
I guess any sensation at the crown is a bit of a warning sign. Nevertheless, should we listen more to the quality of the sensation or the fact that it's simply present?

Just to mention... AYP is designed to open the crown chakra... it wouldn't be good for much if it didn't. It is just that it is designed to do it in a safe way. The pin prick sensations are some of the first sensations felt at the crown (sometimes they feel like they are crawling around in a circle). We can also feel like petals are starting to unfold upwards. Personally I don't worry about these symptoms. The light sunburn is O.K. too, but I watch that one more carefully as it can easily turn into heavy sunburn (with headache) and that's no fun at all.

If that happened I would cut back.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

tallis

Hungary
71 Posts

Posted - Dec 08 2007 :  3:27:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit tallis's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,
I'll watch out, then, for signs of sunburn, if that's a dodgy one. Thanks! Is the petal sensation subtler than the other symptoms you mention? Is it as if the petals are rising from the skull, above one's earthly body? I wouldn't relate it necessarily to opening petals (though it's a beautiful image), but sometimes I 'open' the top of my head - which makes me feel more open to and at one with the universe - and I get this sensation as if someone is lightly brushing against the hair above my crown. But when I reach to touch the hair in question I find that my hand is searching somewhere in mid-air, usually about 3-5 cm above my skull.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Dec 09 2007 :  04:11:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Tallis
quote:
Is the petal sensation subtler than the other symptoms you mention?

I experience sensations at the crown when it is closed (down) and when it is raised up. The petals unfolding thing happens when it is rising up. I wouldn't say it is any more subtle.

quote:
Is it as if the petals are rising from the skull, above one's earthly body?

Yes

quote:
but sometimes I 'open' the top of my head - which makes me feel more open to and at one with the universe - and I get this sensation as if someone is lightly brushing against the hair above my crown. But when I reach to touch the hair in question I find that my hand is searching somewhere in mid-air, usually about 3-5 cm above my skull.

That could happen if your crown is rising up , but you are not feeling the petals rise, only the experience of openness that comes with it. Different feelings come when the crown is open and raised up... bliss, intoxication, benediction, grace, surrender etc.

quote:
But when I reach to touch the hair in question I find that my hand is searching somewhere in mid-air, usually about 3-5 cm above my skull.

The opening crown is very sensitive to movements of prana in the atmosphere, which can feel like someone waving their hand over our head. Also, sometimes beings from the higher realms will come and touch us gently above the crown. It is like a way of saying hi and giving us their grace... it's very beautiful when it happens.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000