Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Fasting - Distilled Water!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  7:40:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I am sure that this topic was discussed before. But I would still like to get the opinion about taking distilled water with some lime (to keep the ph or electrolyte balance?) during fasting.

I have been fasting (water only - 1 day a week) for the last 6 months. I did a 3 day water fast last month and this month. I used the tap water filtered with some lime as prescribed by a fasting naturopathy book that I read. This book also suggests to use only distilled water during fasting with some lemon juice on it to maintain the PH level.

I know that a lot of people including doctors believe that water fasting is unhealthy. I am convinced based on my experience in the last 6 months that fasting is greatly beneficial to me, health wise and also spiritually. The question that I have now is whether to use distilled water with lemon juice during fasting. I know that distilled water has no minerals on it. The book that I read about fasting says that the body can not absorb the inorganic minerals on the water. I am not so sure about this. I wanted to get the opinion of others who have long fasting experience.

Thanks,
Ram.

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  10:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The sources i have used say distilled water too. i dont do it 100% but i do use distilled sometimes
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 18 2007 :  11:46:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is very dangerous to drink only distilled water. Tap water is much safer. The body does absorb some minerals from water, but there is a much more important reason.

The body doesn't like to get rid of water unless there is something dissolved in it that is waste.
If you usually don't fast, and then suddenly do, there should be plenty of toxins flushed out with the water.
But if you get cleaned out and there aren't many toxins, the body will send minerals and electrolytes out with distilled water, and you can get very light headed and sick. The body may store large amounts of water also to avoid leaching the minerals out. People have died from too much water consumption because of this. They drink water, but they are not urinating.
So it is much safer to drink tap water that has something in it to make it easier for the body to get rid of it.
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  5:29:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Etherfish,

Thanks for your response. Can you quote the source from where you got this information (body doesn't like to get rid of water unless there is something dissolved in it that is waste) from? So, even if I add some lime juice to the distilled water, will the body still be not able to get rid of the water?

Have you ever fasted on water before? Don't mistake me, I am trying to get the actual experience of persons instead of the book knowledge. Lot of sources outrightly (including books/doctors!) say that fasting is bad for the body. After my own experiments I have found that the contrary is true.

Also tap water contains chlorine and fluoride, right? So, would I be better off drinking spring water?

Ram

Edited by - rkishan on Oct 19 2007 5:37:13 PM
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Oct 19 2007 :  11:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, definitely do not use tap!
Go to Top of Page

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2007 :  04:38:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I once heard of a women, who ate only a cracker twice a day. it seems the stomechs fires may stop eventually, so a simple small cracker that is digested quickly, can start these fires for howver long agian. but! who knwos.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 20 2007 :  10:06:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
yes spring water is definitely better. I forgot my tap water has a filter. But plastic bottles are not good, especially if they get warm or in sunlight. If you get natural water in a glass bottle it's best, or directly out of a spring. The closer to nature without man's meddling the better. i had some medical education and that's where i got the other info. Don't have time to look it up right now; i'm volunteering all my free time for a few months. I'll look it up when I can.
Yes I've done a lot of short fasts on water only (3 to 14 days) and found them to be very good for me also. But part of the benefit is getting the body off things you habitually eat that are not good for you either because they are acid forming, or you have a slight allergy. Many people are allergic to milk products, wheat, animal products, and other things we always eat and they don't know it. If you compare the effects of a fast with the effects of the same period eating only raw vegetables, you will be able to see what's really happening with your body.
or you can go on an alkalizing diet and see those effects too. You'd be surprised how many effects are not really from fasting.
Go to Top of Page

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Oct 21 2007 :  5:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
http://quickfasting.com

this is a very good site for info on water fasting and how to do it right
Go to Top of Page

rkishan

USA
102 Posts

Posted - Oct 22 2007 :  11:28:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit rkishan's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Etherfish and Anthony for your valuable input on water fasting.

anthony574
"Posted - Oct 21 2007 : 5:04:46 PM http://quickfasting.com

this is a very good site for info on water fasting and how to do it right"

I have gone through this quickfasting site (I got the link from the AYP forum some time back, not sure if you posted it before!). I agree that this pdf book is pretty good and, it's also free to download. It's one of the books that motivated me to start the water fasting initially. The other book that I liked was Paul Bragg's "The miracle of fasting!". Here is the amazon link for that. I picked this book from my local library.

http://www.amazon.com/Miracle-Fasti...66576&sr=8-1

Edited by - rkishan on Oct 22 2007 1:02:07 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000