Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 What was this??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Eitherway

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  4:41:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eitherway's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

Just wanted to relay a couple of experiences in the past and get some input back if possible.

Both experiences involved the mind or a lack there of. The first was a few years ago (2003) when I was busy studying with a friend. I noticed all of a sudden some kind of mental shift. It is hard to describe but felt like a "declutching". I felt a release of tension and ease in studying and a surge of mental energy (clarity, concentration) but no body changes. This only lasted a few hours and then it was back to my normal functioning. Although I have been a decent student all my life, I often have some mental fog when trying to study and can be distracted by random thoughts and planning. This experience felt like being "in the zone".

The second experience was in 2005. I had taken a entheogen type substance known as 2ci a couple of days before and generally had been practicing a type of mindfulness which I had found in reading some J. Krishnamurti. Basically just observing the mind and not reacting to its content. This experience was definitely a lot stronger and started with my thoughts receding into my heart area. Again there was a release of tension and a surge in mental concentration as well as a general positivity and well being. For example, my girlfriend's constant trips to the mall annoyed me but during these few days I was completely fine with going along and also didn't mind a lot of other things. I experienced a dramatic reduction in thoughts and when a random thought did arise, just observing it caused it to "burn up" and go back to the heart space. I actually was confounded by what was going on. I wondered if this was sartori or something akin to it or maybe "no mind" that I have read sparingly about. I really enjoyed the feeling which was basically feeling light and agreeable with no mental tension at all but at the same time I kept thinking about it (not thoughts that came up but rather I genereated on purpose -seems like there is a big difference) and the experience passed after a few days.

I think I had been observing my mind (krishnamurti's "meditation") for about two days and as I mentioned this was after my imbibing of an entheogen.

I had not heard of ayp or had any other knowledge of this stuff before the past few months and thus I was wondering if anyone could shed some light upon these. Strangely, there wasn't any "love" or "higher consciousness" but rather just a cessation of random thoughts and the easing of mental tension followed by feeling great.

I wonder if my heart chakra was not open at the time and whether that would have caused the experience to be different. I have been practicing ayp for a few months and absolutely love it. The meditation and pranayama have led me to praying more and asking for forgiveness for a whole host of doings in the past. I have some ringing, musical sounds in my ear and also feel some energy type thing in the heart area. Is this my heart chakra opening up or something else?

Thanks in advance for any light on this subject.

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  6:05:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
what kind of entheogen is 2CI? From your description is sounds like an empathogen like MDMA.
Go to Top of Page

Eitherway

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2007 :  8:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eitherway's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi anthony,

I don't believe 2CI is generally thought of as a entheogen as say LSD, ayauhausca, psilocybin, or peyote but generally the couple of substances that I have used in my life (weed, psilocybin, mdma, and 2ci) always had a spiritual bent for me. I believe 2CI is somewhat related to MDMA but with less of the empathogenic qualities and more of the perception changes associated with the above mentioned substances. Specifically, tremendous perceptual differences in the visual sphere are seen. I'm a little hazy on the specifics (family, chemical structure) but solid info can be found on erowid.org as you might already know. I would be happy to share any more info if you are curious. Also I feel it is possible that 2ci did somehow help with the 2nd experience as I have tried the Krishnamurti meditation several times since then (sometimes for a couple of days or so) and never did have the same receding of the thoughts to the heart area but I don't think the substance had much to do with it directly but maybe an opening of the nervous system that the meditation practice was able to use to get deeper. The general light feeling was not from 2ci because I am pretty familiar with its effects and generally use the same setting and wait for the proper set as well.

Edited by - Eitherway on Sep 03 2007 9:17:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  8:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
2C-I or 2,5-dimethoxy-4-iodophenethylamine is a synthetic hallucinogen. It is a chemical cousin of 2CB. The ‘I’ refers to an iodine atom rather than bromine which is contained in 2CB.
2C-I is a phenethylamine. This group of drugs also includes MDMA, MDA and MDEA, however their effects vary drastically. . .

2C-I is known to have been sold as ecstasy. However in the main it is sold at a higher price than ‘ordinary’ pills such as ecstasy.

http://www.release.org.uk/html/~drug_menu/2CI.php
Go to Top of Page

Eitherway

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2007 :  9:20:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eitherway's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just wanted to clarify my first post a bit. Although a I did mention 2ci, I really don't think the experience was a direct cause of it as I had used it a few times before and remember there was a couple of days between taking the substance the experience. I had mentioned the substance just to be more thorough.

What I needed input about is:
1) What do you guys think about the thoughts receding to the heart and then almost completely subsiding for a few days. As I mentioned the rare uninvited thought that would come up would "burn" up and recede back to the heart center. I am not very knowledgeable about this so hopefully someone can give me some more info about this type of thing.

2) Bells, tones, musical sort of stuff in my ear, especially if i close them to outside sound and some feeling in the heart area. Is this heart chakra opening??? And if it is, any idea on how long it would take (i know this probably varies but months or years???

3) Lastly, how would I know if the heart chakra is open? Is it the type of thing where there is no confusion (like kirtanman mentioned with samadhi)?

Thanks for the replies in advance. The 2ci experiences as well as a couple with the other substances were enjoyable but I prefer ayp exclusively now because of the simple fact that with the drug experiences, there is a let down after the fact (even if there is some general feeling of wellbeing for a few days) whereas ayp seems like a one way street (although can be bumpy necessitating self pacing).
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2007 :  12:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lastly, how would I know if the heart chakra is open? Is it the type of thing where there is no confusion (like kirtanman mentioned with samadhi)?

Hi Eitherway,

You may find it of interest to read some of the extensive posts Christi has written about open heart chakra:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=2412#21259
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=2412#21287
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....D=2751#24294
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  04:21:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Eitherway,

quote:
What I needed input about is:
1) What do you guys think about the thoughts receding to the heart and then almost completely subsiding for a few days. As I mentioned the rare uninvited thought that would come up would "burn" up and recede back to the heart center. I am not very knowledgeable about this so hopefully someone can give me some more info about this type of thing.

This sounds like what Adyashanti would call an awakening. It is like a short preview of things that come later on in the enlightened state. they can happen at any time, even before our chakras start to open. I was flying around with celestial beings before my chakras started to open. I also had a very similar experience to you, about 18 years ago, where I spent several days in a state of absolute mental silence, and any thought that tried to enter my mind would (as you say) kind of burn up upon entry. The world became very bright and clear, and peaceful.

quote:
3) Lastly, how would I know if the heart chakra is open? Is it the type of thing where there is no confusion (like kirtanman mentioned with samadhi)?

Two things happen when the heart chakra opens. We feel an energetic opening happening in the chest area, and we feel profound states of love that seem to have no cause. So yes, it is like samadhi, you know when it is opening. The bells and stuff are associated with the heart chakra, but they can be heard before the chakras open if we are entering the depths of our being during an awakening experience.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  07:29:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Eitherway

2) Bells, tones, musical sort of stuff in my ear, especially if i close them to outside sound and some feeling in the heart area. Is this heart chakra opening??? And if it is, any idea on how long it would take (i know this probably varies but months or years???

Hi Eitherway - I was blessed with a dramatic heart opening, and there was no question in my mind what was going on. Extreme physical and emotional pain. I thought, This is it! I'm done...my heart is open and now I can move on to other things. But what I've found is that opening the heart is a lifelong process. It's one thing to have it blasted open in ecstasy, it's another to keep it open on a daily basis, when the ecstasy is over and the problems or disappointments of life flood in. In other words, after the initial "bells and whistles", a heart opening is often a practice rather than a done deal.
Go to Top of Page

bewell

1275 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  10:47:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by meg
In other words, after the initial "bells and whistles", a heart opening is often a practice rather than a done deal.

Which brings us back to Yogani's lesson 220: Opening the Heart Chakra: http://www.aypsite.org/220.html
As referenced on the "Surrender: Kind of Important" thread.

I've been doing some heart breathing since reading that lesson, and finding it opens me not only to pleasant heart awareness but also to awareness suffering. Last night I had a bout with intense awareness of suffering. This morning, I'm feeling the usual joy again.
Go to Top of Page

Eitherway

USA
100 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  1:20:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Eitherway's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Thanks for all the feedback.

I thought the lack of mind might be something like an awakening but I distinctly remember thinking (maybe that's the problem) there's got to be more than this. It did feel peaceful and I felt great but seems like there wasn't the "intensity" that I think would accompany "awakening". I now somewhat understand the nature of this process as our unfolding is gradual and occurs in fits and spurts, even as we diligently practice.

I would love to practice the heart breathing but I figure I should stabilize in the latest addition first (sambhavi/siddhassana). Thank you all for your replies. Your experiences give me hope and fuels my bhakti.
Go to Top of Page

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2007 :  1:21:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BeWell - You bring up a really good point. Opening one's heart is often mistakenly thought of as a pleasant, ecstatic experience, and often it is. But when the heart is open, it's open to everything, which includes the unpleasant and heavy energy that's out there in abundance. The wider you're willing to open your heart, the more that you have to be prepared to take on, and that can mean holding a lot of suffering in your heart. When I think of those who are much, much further down the path than I, I think of the amount of intense pain that they have to absorb with their hearts open so wide, and I know that I wouldn't be capable of that at this point on my spiritual path. Of course, they also get to experience comparable joy, so I guess that's the payoff. The heart has its own rhythm and timeline; it knows better than we do what we're ready for.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000