Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Be As You Are: Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2007 :  3:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message

Hi All,

The info below was also posted today as part of another thread, in the Satsang Cafe section, Burning the Karma Through Yoga".

However, since the following details essentially amount to a strong book recommendation from yours truly, I thought it would be good to post these details here as well.

As In: it's not a "double post"; just a partial-double-up of certain potentially-important (I feel ) information, which I have hopefully posted in "Toto" (the Latin phrase for "Total", not Dorothy's travel companion, and not the schmaltzy but sometimes-catchy 80s rock band. ) in a way that will be most helpful to all AYP Forum members and readers.

I also added a paragraph below (the one that begins "Sri Ramana") covering the topics that the book addresses.

Hope it's helpful and/or interesting!

Heart is Where the AUM Is,

Kirtanman

Be As You Are: The Teachings of Sri Ramana Maharshi (Edited by David Godman), pp.38-40

Please Note: Clicking on the link above will take you to Amazon.com, where you can Search Inside (Amazon's feature that lets you "e-flip"-through a book, before - or instead of - buying it) this book, and/or purchase it, if you wish.

I picked this book up at a local yoga studio bookstore last weekend, and have been reading it this past week; I've found it very, very useful. One of the hallmarks of realized teachers that I've seen, is their ability to convey the most profound truths simply, and clearly.

The teachers, guides and friends who I tend to resonate with (i.e. Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj, Sri Ramana Maharshi, Adyashanti, Yogani, Eckhart Tolle, etc.) all have this ability (to convey the most profound truths simply, and clearly).

I have read various quotes of Sri Ramana Maharshi in the past, and even a bit about his life, but never a full book of his teachings (in easy-to-read Q&A format, edited by one of his leading disciples, who understands how to position and articulate the material very well, for optimal ease-of-understanding on the part of the reader).

Sri Ramana covers a wide ranges of topics, including details concerning true Self-realization, how to get there (aka how to realize you've always been here ), the perspective of realized persons, the efficacy (or non-efficacy) of various culturally-traditional approaches, what doing and non-doing is all about, and so on. I personally found that it clarifies "all of the above" - well, cohesively, simply ... and in ways that highlight that there is no inherent conflict between yoga practices, bhakti, meditation and the advaitic (non-dual; Sri Ramana is one of the best known Advaitic sages / teachers) awareness of Reality.

I've found it to be a wonderful read; literally enlightening, and joyfully Heart-expanding. "Highly Recommended!" ~~Kirtanman.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000