Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Bandhas during Spinal Breathing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

anthony574

USA
549 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2007 :  10:42:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit anthony574's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hey guys. Quick question.

I have been doing Spinal Breathing for a while and finished Yogani's book on it and decided to incorporate some bandhas into my routine. I want to do sambhavi and mulabhanda to emphasize the root-ajna connection. What I started doing was I would do a mulabandha contraction for a few seconds at the end of my exhale and to help me hold my attention to the perineum. I would let go and then do sambhavi when I would reach the third-eye on inhalation and hold my attention there until I go back down. I sit in siddhasana and found it to interfere with mulabandha so I decided to just stick with sambhavi and let siddhasana take care of the lower half.

My question basically is whether I am supposed to hold sambhavi or any other mudras or bandhas for a while or the whole practice, or whether I am correct in only holding it while my attention is on that particular region.

Thanks!

Namaste

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2007 :  02:15:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It sounds to me to be a perfectly ok practice with the mulabandha when it comes to the rythmical contractions.

Yogani writes:
quote:
Mulabandha can be held for as long as comfortable and then released. Then it can be inititated again as comfort allows.- - - Variations in anal sphincter actictivity during mulabandha can occur with breathing, particularly during spinal breathing pranayama, where our contractions and releases of the anal sphincter and pelvic floor may find a rhythm in relation to inhalation and exhalation. There is no best way to do this, but the tendency can arise during spinal breathing especially. The important thing is that mulabandha is occurring in a regular fashion, once we feel ready and have decided to do it."

The sambhavi I understand is more meant to be held the whole time, a fixed position with the eyes and brows, while the attention moves along with the spinal nerve. See lesson http://www.aypsite.org/131.html for a very detailed description of how to learn to master this!

One major issue though: I found it very difficult to add BOTH at the same time, and in AYP it is recommended to add ONE thing at a time and get used to it, to get passed the clunky stage, before you add the next one. I started with mulabandha for approximately one month until I got that stable. Then I added sambhavi. It was tricky enough doing one at a time! I have not yet felt the need to do siddhasana, so I couldn't tell how siddhasana and mulabandha would interact or complement eachother, or which one would be chosen in the first place. Some one else might shed some light over that one.

Edited by - emc on Jul 01 2007 02:21:04 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000