AYPsite.org Forum
 Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 Another Take on Energy Overload
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  1:08:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Yogani's prescription for energy overload is more and more silence. Michael Winn says the same, below, but from a Taoist perspective and relates it to the heart. I'll translate into yoga terminology in brackets:

-----------
The question arises: where does that extra chi [prana] flow? If you haven't opened up the smiling, self-accepting core consciousness, it begins to flow in patterns within your Energy Body that may amplify unconscious struggles still going on within deeper levels of yourself. ...The reason the Inner Smile is so foundational is because it cultivates a very profound sense of unconditional acceptance, first in oneself, and secondly of everything that is "other". I have found that without cultivating this deep self-acceptance in one's inner heart [opening the heart chakra], all other qigong and meditation practices eventually feel limited or imbalanced.

Jack

United Kingdom
305 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  1:23:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jack's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh wow.

That completely reframes how I've been viewing my current upheaval.

Thanks for sharing, Jim.
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  1:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,

Thank you for this quote, I couldn't agree more about excess energy amplifying unconscious struggles. I am curious, what he is referring to as an inner smile? I once used those same words to describe the initial inner-energy awakening here, is this a state or a practice that he is referring to?

A
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  2:36:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Andrew
Inner Smile is a kind of Qi Gong (?) meditation
Inner Smile
There are more discussion on it .. just do an exact word search on "Inner Smile"..
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  6:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Inner Smile is an unbelievably profound practice that, happily, doesn't interfere in any way with AYP. It's such a light, subtle thing that many people shortchange it, figuring it's just a feel-good new-agey affirmation sort of thing. It's not. It's amazing.

Go organ by organ (heart, kidneys, etc), very slowly, really penetrating your attention to the organ (not just your mind's two dimensional visualization of the organ, but to the organ itself) and direct smiling energy there. Literally smile a little when you do it, at least in the beginning. You'll be amazed at how non-bull$**** this is, and how much smilingness you can invest. It's a heart chakra opener, but it's more than that.

Inner Smile been written about by Mantak Chia and the aforementioned Michael Winn and others, but I'd strongly suggest simply fooling around with it on the basis of that explanation. Everyone tends to complicate it too much. It's simple. Keep it simple.

I think fwiw there's more info on Inner Smile in this thread than in the link Shanti kindly provided:
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....&whichpage=1

Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  6:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just a note that I'm not saying Inner Smile is the only answer to energy overload. It's a good practice to do (though anyone with an open heart chakra naturally does much the same), but my point was just to share this little extra dab of insight into what energetic overload is and how/why silence balances it.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 22 2007 6:17:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  6:18:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - May 22 2007 :  7:04:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i've been working on something similar; found I had a grumpy pattern of thoughts upon getting up on weekdays and decided to start a better waking pattern.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  08:51:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jim,

quote:
Yogani's prescription for energy overload is more and more silence.

Is this true? On the face of it it sounds like a recipie for disaster. I thought that increasing inner silence actually increased prana (kundalini) in the subtle body and could exasperate a pre-existent situation of energy overload. I thought Yogani advised people to back off on any practices that could lead to increased levels of inner silence (deep meditation and samyama), and concentrate on grounding practices instead?

Christi
Go to Top of Page

weaver

832 Posts

Posted - May 24 2007 :  10:17:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

The way I understand it is that silence that is already present in the system is a balancing factor against energy or kundalini. However, I agree with what you say, that when there is a lot of energy then it can be counter-productive to do practices that promote inner silence, like meditation, because these practices are likely to promote more energy as well. More grounding is what is called for instead. I have found this to be true in my own case as well.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000