Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Nimitta
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hopeless meditator

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  11:41:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit hopeless meditator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'd be grateful if someone could tell me what a nimitta is. Also, what - if anything - does it signify?

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  2:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste hm:

Here's list of known Hindu uses and meanings of the Sanskrit word 'nimitta' in Classical Indian Spiritual Works such as the Bhagavad-Gita (BG), the Srimad Bhagavatam (SB), and the Sri Caitanya Caritamrta (CC) for your reference as published by The Bhaktivedanta Book Trust International, and offered online at vedabase.net:

nimitta

nimitta-m#257;tram — just the cause; BG 11.33
nimitta — for the matter of; SB 3.9.14
nimitta-m#257;tram — remote cause; SB 4.11.17
mr#803;gatva-nimitta — of the cause of a deer's body; SB 5.8.31
nimitta — fruitive activity; SB 5.9.9-10
bhav#257;ny#257;h#803; #347;#257;pa-nimitta-jñah#803; — who knows the cause of the curse by Bhav#257;n#299;, the wife of Lord #346;iva; SB 5.17.15
nimitta — cause; SB 5.19.20
nimitta — the cause; SB 5.19.20
tat-nimitta — caused by the sight of her; SB 6.1.63
nimitta — and of the material energy; SB 6.4.23
nimitta — for the sake of; SB 8.5.35
nimitta — their motivations for activity (and the subtle bodies activated by such); SB 10.87.29
nimitta-k#257;ran#803;a — immediate cause; CC Adi 5.62
nimitta-hetu — original cause; CC Adi 5.63
nimitta — the cause; CC Adi 6.14-15
nimitta-hetu — original cause; CC Adi 6.14-15
nimitta — the original cause; CC Adi 6.14-15
nimitta k#257;ran#803;a — the original cause; CC Adi 6.16
nimitta-am#803;#347;e — in the portion as the original cause; CC Adi 6.17
nimitta-k#257;ran#803;a — immediate cause; CC Adi 13.75
nimitta-hetu — the efficient cause; CC Madhya 20.271
kr#803;s#803;n#803;a-sukha-nimitta — to satisfy Kr#803;s#803;n#803;a; CC Madhya 24.25
hita-nimitta — for benefit; CC Antya 4.140
sva-nimitta — for my personal self; CC Antya 10.96
prabhura nimitta — for #346;r#299; Caitanya Mah#257;prabhu; CC Antya 13.69

Additionally, it may be helpful to read the following definition of the word as it is commonly used in Theravada Buddhist writings:

nimitta:

mark, sign; image; target, object; cause, condition. These meanings are used in, and adapted to, many contexts of which only the doctrinal ones are mentioned here.

1. 'Mental (reflex-) image', obtained in meditation. In full clarity, it will appear in the mind by successful practice of certain concentration-exercises and will then appear as vividly as if seen by the eye. The object perceived at the very beginning of concentration is called the preparatory image (parikamma-nimitta). The still unsteady and unclear image, which arises when the mind has reached a weak degree of concentration, is called the acquired image (uggaha-nimitta). An entirely clear and immovable image arising at a higher degree of concentration is the counter-image (ga-nimitta). As soon as this image arises, the stage of neighbourhood (or access) concentration is reached.

2. 'Sign of kamma' (kamma-nimitta) and 'sign of destiny' (gati-nimitta); these arise as mental objects of the last karmic consciousness before death (sanna-kamma).

Usages (1) and (2) are commentarial. In sutta usage, the term occurs, e.g. as:

3. 'Outward appearance': of one who has sense-control it is said- that "he does not seize upon the general appearance' of an object (na nimitta).

4. 'Object': the six objects, i.e. visual, etc. Also, when in explanation of animitta-cetovimutti, signless deliverance of mind, it is said, 'sabba-nimitta; nam amanasik'. It refers to the 6 sense-objects, and has therefore to be rendered "by paying no attention to any object, or object-ideas." - A pleasant or beautiful object is a condition to the arising of the hindrance of sense-desire; a 'repellent object' (patigha-nimitta) for the hindrance of ill-will; contemplation on the impurity of an object (asubha-nimitta) is an antidote to sense-desire.

5. In a repetitive series of terms, nimitta appears together with upp;do (origin of existence), pavattam (continuity of existence), and may then be rendered by 'condition of existence'.

Nimitta simply means "characteristics" or "sign" and is often associated with sensory experience, where the contemplative is paying attention to the characteristics of an object of desire.

However, Sidharta Gotama also used nimitta in conjunction with absorption to indicate that there were indeed characteristic phenomena that a contemplative could look for as a sign that absorption had arisen.

And lastly, since ancient times, the Indian System of Astronomical and Astrological Luminaries (Jyotisha) uses the word 'nimitta' in reference to 'omens' as outlined here:

http://varahamihira.blogspot.com/20...yotisha.html

Hari Om Tatsat Jai Guru Datta!

Doc

Edited by - Doc on Mar 30 2007 2:46:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

hopeless meditator

United Kingdom
38 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  05:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit hopeless meditator's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow! Encyclopaedic answer, Doc. I salute you. Thank you for your kindness in answering my question so comprehensively.
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  09:22:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Namaste hm:

My pleasure! I'm glad you found it useful.

Hari OM!

Doc
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000