Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Believe nothing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  1:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
The following is quoted from a birthday card, "quotable cards", that I am sending my cousin:

believe nothing,
no matter where you read it
or who has said it,
not even if i have said it,
unless it agrees with
your own reason and
your own common sense.

-buddha

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  3:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Great post, Hunter, and I couldn't agree more:

VIL
Go to Top of Page

Maximus

India
187 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  07:31:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Maximus's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just wondering once you have stopped the mind as a result of Yoga, how to reason or how to believe?
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  10:52:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Maximus

Just wondering once you have stopped the mind as a result of Yoga, how to reason or how to believe?

Hi Maximus,

It's an interesting question. From my perspective, the ability to reason or believe isn't the part of the mind that stops. These abilities are inherent in the mind. What stops is the constant chatter of the mind which is concerned with things like what was said or done in the past, what will be said or done in the future, what he/she meant by that, what could something that happened possibly mean, am I less, am I more? etc. etc. there are a thousand permutations to these queries of the mind.

These everyday thoughts first slow down, lose momentum and take up less of consciousness. Silence comes up more and from that silence, there is tremendous clarity and ability to "see" the possibilities and how you can make things work out. Things that need to be done spontaneously come up (yes despite not worrying about them) the mind is free to function far more efficiently without being bogged down with micro-managing the details of life.

It is a constant letting go of everything we think we need to think about. It is also a letting go of the many pre-conceived ideas we have about what we surmise this life is all about. It stops mattering, it just is, it can’t be controlled, enjoy the ride!

A

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000