AYPsite.org Forum
 Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 pranayama
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  2:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Some say you breathing should have no sound. what if breathing is regular,or even fast, and their is no sound? ive also heard to concentrate on the tip of the nose, generally as its a point of accumulation. how does one accumulate energys with no sound? just the pure movment of energy?

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 12 2007 :  8:35:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi avatar:

Generally speaking, when our respiratory cycles are slower...i.e. the amount of time required for one inhalation and one exhalation...we are able to extract more energy and oxygen from the air that we breathe, our mind and spirit becomes calmer, and we maximize our potential to live a longer, healthier life...thus also maximizing our opportunity to achieve Self-Realization.

When we breathe slowly enough to eliminate all audible sound, and simultaneously feel that our breath is smooth and even in speed, we can then be assured that we are optimizing the benefits of pranayama, and minimizing the potential pitfalls, IMO.

Hari OM!

Doc
Go to Top of Page

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2007 :  1:17:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hmm awsome stuff. I have another question, in essence, is it really that hard to reach the highst states? when i think about it, it seems as if its simple, just a matter of doing, mabey some refinments here and their.

currently im using breathe, and pranayama when its generated to re direct the energy channels, mainly the sexual channel upwards.

it also seems as if the vibrating created during pranayama is less likly to occure when my solar plexus is empty or aching. it could just be me letting it distract me. but who knows. any thoughts?
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  12:13:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello avatar!

As pranic energy becomes qualitatively purified, quantitatively amplified, and unimpeded in its movement through the nadis, the nerve trunks are increasingly stimulated. In turn, the energetically charged nerve currents stimulate the muscles tissues which they control, often producing muscle 'twitchings' and energetic 'vibratory' sensations. I believe that this is quite common, and is probably experienced in varying degrees by virtually everyone who regularly practices various methods of pranayma.

Whenever a specific nerve center like the solar plexus, or a specific chakra, is relatively empty and not retaining much stored prana, the energy which could potentially be consolidated and stored there under other circumstances is left free to circulate elsewhere in the body, and may be felt to twitch or vibrate at other locations where the prana naturally collects in greater volume.

Conversely, whenever a specific nerve center or a specific chakra is filled to capacity, processing and retaining a maximum volume of prana, these locations might also be felt to vibrate, or may ache due to the constant stimulation of the nerve trunks and the localized muscle contractions which are thus generated.

There could be other factors involved in your personal experiences as well, but those mentioned here are among the generic effects. I hope this helps to answer your questions at least a little bit!

"Yoga is the practice of allowing the body prana to become reorganized and redistributed according to the original design of Cosmic Prana."

"Kundalini Pranayam is the yogic process of consciously creating and sustaining a definite ascending and descending flow of Cosmic Prana through the cerebro-spinal channel."

Excerpts from 'Kriya Yoga: A Path of Action to Unify Our Whole Being'

http://www.kheper.net/topics/chakras/kundalini.jpg

Hari OM!

Doc

Go to Top of Page

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  02:03:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Kundalini Pranayam is the yogic process of consciously creating and sustaining a definite ascending and descending flow of Cosmic Prana through the cerebro-spinal channel."

what is effected,caused, when the ascending and descending flow are in the spinal channel? As i know some other methods utilize the bodys front channel for descent.

Edited by - avatar186 on Mar 20 2007 03:49:25 AM
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  11:05:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi avatar:

Respectfully, these questions are probably better answered by whomever you learned what you practice from, or through your own Sadhana experience with such methods in due course.

Hari OM!

Doc
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  11:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Doc

Hello avatar!

As pranic energy becomes qualitatively purified, quantitatively amplified, and unimpeded in its movement through the nadis, the nerve trunks are increasingly stimulated. In turn, the energetically charged nerve currents stimulate the muscles tissues which they control, often producing muscle 'twitchings' and energetic 'vibratory' sensations. I believe that this is quite common, and is probably experienced in varying degrees by virtually everyone who regularly practices various methods of pranayma.

Whenever a specific nerve center like the solar plexus, or a specific chakra, is relatively empty and not retaining much stored prana, the energy which could potentially be consolidated and stored there under other circumstances is left free to circulate elsewhere in the body, and may be felt to twitch or vibrate at other locations where the prana naturally collects in greater volume.

Conversely, whenever a specific nerve center or a specific chakra is filled to capacity, processing and retaining a maximum volume of prana, these locations might also be felt to vibrate, or may ache due to the constant stimulation of the nerve trunks and the localized muscle contractions which are thus generated.

There could be other factors involved in your personal experiences as well, but those mentioned here are among the generic effects. I hope this helps to answer your questions at least a little bit!

"Yoga is the practice of allowing the body prana to become reorganized and redistributed according to the original design of Cosmic Prana."

Excerpts from 'Kriya Yoga: A Path of Action to Unify Our Whole Being'

http://www.kheper.net/topics/chakras/kundalini.jpg

Hari OM!

Doc

Hi Doc and avatar
I had to jump in here having recognized the above quote as that of my Kriya Yoga teacher, Carl Schmidt. I remembered the quote from his website www.thehomefoundation.com/Pranayama.htm. It was nice to see those words here
Balance

Edited by - Balance on Mar 20 2007 12:48:07 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  04:17:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi doc,
quote:
Hi avatar:

Respectfully, these questions are probably better answered by whomever you learned what you practice from, or through your own Sadhana experience with such methods in due course.

Hari OM!

Doc

With all due respect, Avatar is asking questions regarding energy and spinal breathing pranayama. Why should he not ask them on this forum? There are many people here who can offer much advice on these things as well as on many other aspects of the yogic path.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  10:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi:

If avatar is learning by self-instruction, such as reading Yogani's Lessons presented here, then this is undoubtedly a great place to ask these questions as you noted.

However, if avatar is learning via personal instruction from a Teacher, then avatar should ask the Teacher, IMO.

Additionally, I am not an AYP practitioner, nor have I read all of the Lessons relevant to his questions, hence my reply. But please feel free to answer avatar's questions yourself, if you feel so inclined.

Doc
Go to Top of Page

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  8:35:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ah i am learning by self instruction you could call it, yet we are instructed by all huh. anyways, thanx for all the replys, everything helps.
Go to Top of Page

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  6:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
ha!! to breathe up the spine is key, but not the back of the spine, but the front of the spine, least i get stronger effects this way. (= i am on the way my friends!
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  8:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting. I seem to get better results feeling the energy of breath going up the back of the spine butthen after awhile it just seems to follow its own course without being sepcifically routed as it were
Go to Top of Page

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  11:42:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
freakin awsome.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  12:12:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Victor

Interesting. I seem to get better results feeling the energy of breath going up the back of the spine butthen after awhile it just seems to follow its own course without being sepcifically routed as it were

Me too on the up...but alas, the down requires very specific concentration for me. One thing that's helped me, btw, is for the first few circuits, to be a bit hazy and think big picture. Go for just a general feeling of energetic upness followed by downness, with no specific attention to ANYTHING. For one thing, it helps avoid the unpleasant starting-out feeling when the breath hasn't quite settled and you come up short (until you settle into the groove). For another, it sort of loosens things up and lets you ease into the pranayama session. Again, not more than like 3 or 4 circuits, though (otherwise you're doing a whole other practice).

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Mar 24 2007 12:14:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  12:30:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok, now that i have explored it specifically further..this is interesting. back when I did Iyengar Pranayama I was always opening the front body and lifting the chest so in AYP it felt that opening the energy flow in the spine up the back of the spine felt like an energy circuit was opening that hadn't been open before and it felt like adeep relief..however..
Now that Avatar mentioned the front of the spine i tried it and LO and Behold something New openined up in the breath!
I used to post every new insight that came up for me in this practice as the next piece to the puzzle and important new info until I started to realize that these openings seem very personal and individual and at least in my case seem to change as practice progresses. So one insight may be perfect at that point but then a few weeks later it may copmpletely change. Its like the scenery on the road, one hill or valley becomes fascinating but you can't dwell on it too much because it will change and its the process thats important and we are all covering our own individual and quite different terrain. Its really quite interesting and our tips can certainly help each other yet at the same time it is likely to feel different to us than to the other poster is this all part of the process
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  1:03:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello
This is another one of those times when having tried something new in my practice I find that others here are trying the same thing. A few days ago it just felt like the thing to do, breathing the front of my spine, and I too find it to be refreshing and opening. Sort of like something that had been needed. Then I find you guys talking about it. Interesting. I like what you said Victor, about our personal practice being a very private affair (your scenery on the road and hills and valleys thing was nice), but I too thought it was worth mentioning my similar experience.
Alan
Go to Top of Page

ckdCosmo

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  6:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit ckdCosmo's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have a question about the physical effects of pranayama. I started doing AYP for about two months, but I haven't kept up since January. I am planning on starting again soon, but have also noticed something odd. It seems that regular breathing is no longer enough for me. If I breath like I normally would before AYP, it feels like I am out of there, so I end up breathing deeply a lot, otherwise I feel like I am very lacking in oxygen. Has anyone else experienced this, and is it normal? I would imagine it was my lungs getting used to the increase 02 content from the spinal breathing, but I don't know for sure.

Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  07:06:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
HI Shawn it seems you are doing just fine.

What you are describing is perfectly normal and a natural part of the process of spinal breathing. We always favour slow deep breathing but the pace that suits you best will occur naturally as time goes on. Remember never to let there be any strain involved spinal breathing should be easy and pleasant.

I can thoroughly recommend Yogani's little book Spinal Breathing Pranayama all these matters are discussed in detail there.

Here is a short exert.

Sometimes we can go deep with our spinal breathing, and breathing can become very slow. Sometimes it can stop for a little while. This is nothing to worry about. If we are practicing easily and just favoring slow deep breathing, and the breathing slows down or stops, it means our metabolism has gone very low due to the deep relaxation occurring in our nervous system. In that case, the breathing slowing down is not deprivation. We just have less need for oxygen at that time. This is a normal part of spinal breathing that will happen from time to time.
Go to Top of Page

USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  3:53:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit avatar186's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
it also seems, that this spinal breathing, reduces sexual stimulation, or rather draws all stimulation upwards out of the sexual organs. i believe this is exspecially good for tantric practises. hmm, possably a further stage is the drawing upwards of all the sexual winds/energy channels, so during tantra the warmth rises easily, and the practise is preformed smoothly. not to mention conciousness will be less likely to wonder downwards twards the sexual centers during sleep, or any other time. but! this is just my current thinking.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000