Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Chin Pump and Uddiyana - how?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

jzatopa

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Oct 09 2024 :  6:51:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit jzatopa's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was looking at the Chin pump lesson and I have a question. Within the directions here - https://www.aypsite.org/139.html - it is said to do uddiyana as one of the bandhas. Only problem is that the directions list the breath as in and held in, and thus one cannot do uddiyana bandha. Is this a mistake in having that listed as one of the locks?

What I did to include it was reverse the breath to awareness on spinal breathing, having the awareness at my agni, third eye (daat), and my breath out, then did the rotations. I am sure the directions are to be different (although this is obviously an effective set as it works) however I wanted to hear from someone else how they practice this and if they include uddiyana bandha in it.

Christi

United Kingdom
4487 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2024 :  02:10:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jzatopa,

The instructions in the lessons for Chin Pump are correct. Inhale coming up the spine to the point between the eyebrows, then hold the breath and begin the head rotations. At the same time you can be lightly drawing up through the root, gently contracting the anal sphincter muscle and the muscles above that going up towards the belly (mulabandha), and gently contracting the lower abdominal muscles (uddiyana bandha). These two lower bandhas can be held throughout the practice. The contractions of the muscles can be so light and gentle, that they would barely be noticed by someone watching.

quote:
So, we are sitting in siddhasana. We do our standard inhalation from the root up the spinal nerve to the point between the eyebrows, and we hold our breath closing the windpipe in our throat in the regular way we hold our breath using the epiglottis. Then we have ourselves in mulabandha, uddiyana, sambhavi and kechari, and looking out with attention through the third eye, all the same as in yoni mudra kumbhaka. With the chin pump, our hands are resting easily on our knees or thighs.[Yogani]

From Lesson 139

Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
872 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2024 :  1:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
As Christi explained, Uddiyana bandha can be practiced both with the breath out (the end of exhalation) and on the breath in (the end of inhalation). Often Uddiyana bandha is taught after exhalation as most people find it easier to isolate the diaphragm muscles and contract them with the lungs empty (ok, almost empty).

So you could hold the breath in and apply uddiyana bandha and practice the chin pump. If it seems like too much, add them one at a time to the practice, until they become quite natural.
Go to Top of Page

jzatopa

USA
16 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2024 :  06:02:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit jzatopa's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, I have only used uddiyana bandha with my breath out.

I will add this into my practice as Mulhabanda is easy but uddiyana and breath in is not in my muscle memory just yet
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000