Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Off the mat
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cato

Germany
239 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2024 :  2:48:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everybody,

reading the AYP lessons and in the forum, it is often said "Just do sitting practice, then go out and live your daily life" or similar. It can easily be misunderstood. It suggests that AYP is only about sitting practices, which it isn't. It is much more than that. It is about inquiry, conduct, service, relationships, being mindful, healthcare and much more. Sitting practices are just at its core and focus often is there, but there are so many layers around. Of course, what I say can easily be seen when one has a look at the booklets and the forum topics.

Never mind, it ist just a thought. Doing AYP does not end when one gets up the sitting cushion. There is just as much AYP-practice off the mat as there is in sitting practices. And every tiny practice is one step forward (to whatever).

Dogboy

USA
2281 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2024 :  8:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agree Cato! As our practices opens up our inner blockages, we bring this purified body forth into the everyday, so there is no doubt the benefits show up there. At some point yoga becomes our everyday, and the separation dissolves.
Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
160 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2024 :  4:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think Yogani is trying to emphasize grounding or practice over intellectual pursuit of truth.

And that spiritual practice is for more people than may think so...

As meditation is getting a better, more civilized, reputation...
...there still is associations to barefoot walking, retreating into the forest or whatnot that is not neccesary. Amaroli, basti, jnana or the more conspicuous practices is not necessary.

I think he is wise to use these words.
Go to Top of Page

Mithuna

France
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2024 :  6:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When we begin DM, the inner silence is like a little child, both precious and fragile. We protect him from the noise and disruption that assail our daily lives.
Many of us isolate a "consecrated" space with sometimes a statue or a sacred image, which we dedicate to our Meditation sessions, which are carried out in our AYP practice usually twice a day. This space and time are well sealed, separated from all the vicissitudes of the world, they constitute a haven of peace to recreate ourselves by immersing ourselves in the depth and fullness of inner silence.
If we persevere in our practice, there comes a time when a tipping point occurs, in which, imperceptibly, puffs of inner silence insinuate themselves into the meshes of our daily activities, professional or private. It is not a voluntary act, a kind of invocation, but a gentle emergence like a barely perceptible whisper, the voice of inner silence.
The inner silence of the child has grown up and gradually it responds to our ishta by appearing timidly in our daily lives. This is a fundamental aspect of entering into the relational approach for which the divine in us is no longer an abstraction but a reality that pokes its nose into our lives. But this voice, this presence of inner silence is never invasive, it whispers and this whisper becomes clearer and clearer as through continuous practice, new perceptual channels are woven into us, through the purification of our psychosomatic apparatus.
Reciprocally, during our DM sessions, situations, figures from our daily lives present themselves to us, reabsorbing themselves into the inner silence, lines of tension fade. New concepts are emerging that shed new light on difficult real-world situations.
This area of inner silence that was limited to our DM sessions is getting closer to the surface of our consciousness, emerging in the very middle of the field of our daily thoughts, but in a strange way without in any way disorganizing them, on the contrary strengthening our capacity for concentration and efficiency. Discreet but always present, the inner silence, the voice of the Divine within us, inspires us in difficult situations, and creates in us an inalienable space of peace in the very midst of the agitation and inevitable disturbances that assail us, if we let it happen...
The inner silence child has grown: day after day it sheds new light on our surroundings and the situations we are going through, revealing new paths in our destiny as our conditioning dissipates.
Yoga as AYP teaches it is not a speculative path, a kind of ivory tower cut off from the world, isolating us in a world of beautiful and noble concepts, but a path of profound metamorphosis gradually involving all aspects of our life by guiding us on the path of Union.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2281 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2024 :  01:17:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Yoga as AYP teaches it is not a speculative path, a kind of ivory tower cut off from the world, isolating us in a world of beautiful and noble concepts, but a path of profound metamorphosis gradually involving all aspects of our life by guiding us on the path of Union.

This is my experience.
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1563 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2024 :  06:21:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Mithuna,

Thank you for the beautiful sharing and I agree with you to a large extent, yes, inner silence does penetrate into our daily lives. It is for me not a whisper, not 'not intrusive', it often freezes my mind, takes away all words, takes away space-time, takes away memory (I struggled this weekend to get around from one location to another because all I have is an image of my current location, no access to memory to how I got there or how to get where I need to go next.)

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Mithuna

France
15 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2024 :  11:36:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Seysorciere, thank you for your testimony.
The beauty of Yoga, like any authentic spiritual approach, is that if the tools and practices are common, each of us experiences the appearance of inner silence differently in our life.
The Inner Silence, the expression of the Divine in our personality, expresses itself in a thousand ways that can also be modified during our inner transformation. A faithful and discreet friend for some, it can also, as you say, "transport" us and "take us away from ourselves" by detaching us from the contents and conditioning that make us captive balloons and thus prefigure the fullness of Liberation.
As our psychosomatic apparatus metamorphoses, this relationship is also transformed, this divine breath inspiring and regenerating us from within, just as it can envelop us and speak to us through a thousand voices that seem to come from the outside. Interior and exterior, whisper and squall, sun and night are only the expressions of this Divine Reality who tirelessly guides us on the thread of our destiny.
Go to Top of Page

Jeanjean82

France
29 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2024 :  2:25:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Cato,
i think it is important to focus on Deep meditation (so a sitting practice), then maybe inner silence will naturally and spontaneously penetrate in our daily life and daily activities without particular intention. Precociously or in a forced manner, doing self inquiry or other practice could be counterproductive and cause inconvenient. I think it is more important to focus on it for beginner (many of you are not). Advanced practitioner know that yoga is not only sitting practice.
That's the way i understand "Just do sitting practice, then go out and live your daily life" . Christi in his book say too: "It is better to simply purify the body and mind each day and to allow things to unfold as they will". I guess that many of you are not really concerned by that but i think it is a important things for beginners like me. We are tempted to add practice (for "fun" or big Bhakti, whatever the reason) and i think that is not a good idea for many of us.
Best
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000