Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Questions about three practices
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paradox

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2024 :  2:27:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I was recommended the AYP site from someone I trust, and I've been doing some exercises that my intuition called me to. I have some questions about them though (not super knowledgeable in yoga)

a) Spinal breathing seems to be focused on visualization of the breath. Is that really it? (seems very simple)

b) I can do the abdominal lift in nauli, but I can't do the "churning" thing with the left and right as seen on Youtube. Does that come with time?

c) According to the videos, Navi Kriya seems basically to be leg lifts and breathing. Is that it?

The exercises all seem relatively simple, I just want to be sure I am doing them right.

Christi

United Kingdom
4487 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2024 :  2:45:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I was recommended the AYP site from someone I trust, and I've been doing some exercises that my intuition called me to. I have some questions about them though (not super knowledgeable in yoga)

a) Spinal breathing seems to be focused on visualization of the breath. Is that really it? (seems very simple)

b) I can do the abdominal lift in nauli, but I can't do the "churning" thing with the left and right as seen on Youtube. Does that come with time?

c) According to the videos, Navi Kriya seems basically to be leg lifts and breathing. Is that it?

The exercises all seem relatively simple, I just want to be sure I am doing them right.

Hi Paradox,

Welcome to the forum!

Spinal Breathing Pranayama involves visualising the Spinal Nerve (sushumna nadi) between the root and third eye and moving your attention along it in synch with the breath. It may appear simple at first glance but it is actually one of the most powerful and effective yogic practices that there is. Full instructions can be found here.

To master nauli, first of all practice isolating the left and right muscles of the lower abdomen, so that you can contract these muscles separately from each other. Once you can do that, alternating the contractions is not difficult to do. Again, it is a simple but very powerful practice. Full instructions can be found here. Videos demonstrating nauli can be found on the AYP Plus website here. Nauli is also taught by Devrim in lesson 11 (day 5) of the 21-day AYP Asana Online Video Course here.

Navi Kriya involves drawing the lower abdominal muscles in and up repeatedly. The legs are not involved in the practice. Full instructions can be found here. Videos demonstrating Navi Kriya in both the seated and standing positions can be found on the AYP Plus site here.
Go to Top of Page

Paradox

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2024 :  4:42:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The links seem to be to a pay site?

I have read the navi kriya instructions but I don't really get it. Perhaps there are better YT videos than the ones I found?
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4487 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2024 :  5:03:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Paradox,

Some of the links I gave above are to the free public AYP Main Lessons, which include the instructions on Navi Kriya. It is not a difficult practice and is not hard to work out from the instructions.

If you want to build a full-scope yogic practice that you can do at home, I would suggest starting at the beginning of the lessons here. Taking practices randomly from different places and cobbling them together is not the most effective way to build a yoga practice and can actually be dangerous.
Go to Top of Page

Paradox

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2024 :  03:08:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I did read through the instructions. If I am understanding them correctly, navi kriya is lifting the abdomen during uddiyana?

I am not actually trying to start a complete formal practice. I already have a formal meditation practice (shikantaza) and mastery of the samantha jhanas. I just feel guided to add some yoga practices to it.

I have done Supreme Kriya Fire (tumno) for about a month with no ill effects.

Thanks for all your help!
Go to Top of Page

Paradox

USA
4 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2024 :  04:08:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If I am understanding it right, nari kriya is just the navel lift? I seem to be able to do it sitting normally.

I can tuck in the abdomen but I cannot get the right and left sides to move independently in nauli.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4487 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2024 :  09:53:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Paradox

Uddiyana bandha involves the contraction of the lower abdominal muscles. Navi Kriya is the practice of repeatedly drawing the belly button inwards and upwards towards the back of the diaphragm. It is a pumping technique, so it is applied, released, applied, released and so on, with one to two seconds for each application of the kriya. So, if you practice it ten times that would take ten to twenty seconds.

With nauli, many people do find it difficult to isolate the abdominal muscles between the left side and the right side. But, with repeated practice, it will usually come. It can take weeks or months of practice in some cases. Just a minute of practice a day is usually enough. When it comes, it comes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000