AYPsite.org Forum
 Yoga, Career and Money
 Balancing business and spiritual life
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

compassion

90 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2024 :  4:36:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Folks,

Some background: I have been a private music teacher for a while. I'd had a dream for a long time of managing my own music school. Well one thing lead to another - there is a music studio with other teachers working, and I have my own students whom I teach from home. However it's been much more work than I anticipated.

I still have time to meditate twice a day, to walk in nature, and spend weekends with the kids. But I often feel like I'm burning out and emotionally drained.

Yes, there might be solutions, such as hiring someone to help with the admin. But I just feel like I'm digging myself a bigger and bigger hole.

Looking back, there was nothing wrong with being a humble music teacher, just with private students. I had a lot of free time. I'd have more time for yoga, studying texts, etc.

What is the right way to approach a situation like this? I'm familiar with karma yoga, but translating that to my situation seems difficult. Am I taking on too much for a yogi to handle? Is the stress a hindrance on the path? Should I be working only enough to live by? Or is any situation fine as long as I'm meditating twice a day?

All thoughts and perspectives welcome!

Christi

United Kingdom
4487 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2024 :  5:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Compassion,

Having a stressful work situation can hold someone back on the spiritual path. So, if that is happening it can be best to make changes to reduce any stress, even if it means a lower income for some time. Of course you need to be able to support yourself and your family financially, but if you can manage with less, for the sake of a more stress-free life then that will benefit you and everyone else in the long-run.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2281 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2024 :  03:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Compassion

I agree with Christi, you should encourage your desires by identifying the taxing parts of your everyday and manage, if not eliminate them so silence can migrate into daily activities. Find a way to stop digging first, and then begin the task of filling the hole. You don't have to make major changes all at once, or maybe at all. Bring your problems to the forefront in rest after twice-daily practice, acknowledge them and release them into silence (Samyama has primed the pump for this). Perhaps, over time, the solutions will begin to manifest, especially if you believe the miracle of that is possible, because of your dedicated yoga routine.
Go to Top of Page

compassion

90 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2024 :  5:54:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Christi and Dogboy for your answers. There's actually no difference right now in the amount of money I earn now, just a lot more to do. I'll give some thought how to hand over some (or all) of the work.

There's a follow up question, but I'll post it as a separate topic since it might be unrelated.

Thanks again!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.04 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000