Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Mantra refinement
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

qspadone

France
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2024 :  09:34:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi all,

I've been following AYP for a couple years now, on and off. My experience has become more significant over the last year or so, or even just the past few months, where I've practiced twice a day, as recommended.
My current practice consists of 20 mns of DM twice a day, with a couple of minutes of rest afterwards.
I've had to cut back (mainly SPB and samyama) after having experienced some pretty significant overload symptoms which I believe were due to strong heart and crown purification.

Now, I'm aware that analysis can be counterproductive when it comes to mantra management. I'm also aware that the real test for our practice is "do I have more peace, energy, joy and creativity in between my sessions?". But I'd just like to ask one question, to know whether or not I'm on the right track with deep meditation.

Anyway, here's my current experience with the mantra : it refines in a faint 'mmmmmmmmm' after only a couple back to back repetitions. It seems that for me, currently, this single vibration which goes 'mmmmmm' is the faintest level the mantra has refined into. This is what I pick up when I find myself off the mantra, until the end of the 20 mins.

Since the mantra we're supposed to repeat is 'ayam' and not 'mmmmm', the fact that it settles in a single 'mmmmmmmm' vibration makes me wonder if I should make a conscious effort to come back to an 'ayam' pronunciation altogether. Makes sense?

Also, there seems to be, along with the faint 'mmmmmmmm' sound in my mind, some degree of mantra visualization going on. Is this normal? When I'm off the mantra, I gently favor the sound, rather than the mental image, but the latter is there anyways, most of the time.

Does that sound like correct practice?

Can anyone relate, in the sense that they've also experienced such a refinement of the mantra?

I'd appreciate any feedback/guidance.

Cheers!
Quentin

Christi

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2024 :  11:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi qspadone,

Thanks for sharing. Yes, the mantra can refine to become a continuous sound vibration. And when the mantra is refined, and we find we are off the mantra, then we have the choice to come back to it either with a more clear pronunciation, or at the refined level it was at before we lost it. So, you are on the right track.

And yes, if a mental image of the mantra is appearing during meditation, then easily favour the sound vibration of the mantra, over the image. It is the sound vibration that purifies the subtle nervous system, not an image in the mind.
Go to Top of Page

qspadone

France
5 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2024 :  10:52:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your quick reply, Christi!

I used to do 10 minutes of SPB (with ujjayi, mulabandha, and sambhavi) twice a day before the 20 minutes of DM, as well as samyama afterwards (for a couple of weeks). Looking back, I don't think I should have jumped ahead so much. I went through some pretty hectic energy related experiences (heart and crown openings, I assume) that were so distracting I could barely attend my daily activities.

I think that for the time being, I should just stabilize my practice with 20 minutes of DM twice a day for a month or two.

My question is, which practice should I add next to my routine? Mantra enhancements? Solar plexus centering? Samyama?

I think I need to add something which builds up and helps me integrate even more inner silence in my nervous system. Experience has shown that I don't need much practice to have energetic experiences.

My other question is, I'm not sure exactly which practice exactly led to the uncomfortable heart and crown opening symptoms. Could it be SPB (along with mulabandha, sambhavi), or samyama? Can DM lead to such symptoms, for sensitive meditators?

So, I don't think I should add anything which could lead back to those energy overloads. On the other hand, I read somewhere in the lessons that SPB can have a stabilizing effect for the inner energies when they are out of control. Is that right?

Any advice/guidance much appreciated.

Cheers!
Quentin

Btw, I'm not sure whether or not I should have started a new thread in another section. Please let me know if that's the case.

Edited by - qspadone on Jun 12 2024 12:16:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4428 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2024 :  12:27:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi qspadone,

It sounds like you are doing the wise thing by cutting back to meditation only for a while.

For a practitioner who is sensitive, any spiritual practices can lead to the activation of chakras and nadis, and possibly to uncomfortable symptoms. However, it is more likely to be the energetic practices that are the cause. Things like pranayama, mudras, bandhas, siddhasana etc. So, these would be the first things to cut back on. However, meditation and samyama do also cause inner purification, so we cannot rule them out.

If you are looking to expand your practice, but are concerned about energetic overload, then adding samyama rather than pranayama could be a good move. You would find out pretty soon if it was too much for you, and can always step back again. If you are having issues with the crown chakra, then it could be good to avoid the mantra enhancements for now. The first mantra enhancement in both the original series and the alternative series involve SHREE, which is a crown activation mantra. Solar centering is an advanced practice and would normally be taken on after samyama and the mantra enhancements, if taken on at all.

And yes, some people do find that adding a short Spinal Breathing Pranayama session (such as 5 minutes) before meditation can be stabilising as it balances the prana between the root and the brow. However, other people who are sensitive find it to be too stimulating. So, again, the only way to find out would be to try and see.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000