Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 AYP or more meditation?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

drexciyan_cruiser

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - May 18 2023 :  6:33:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone

Very nice to be here. I began my meditation journey this year at 35 years old after many years of following teachers such as Alan Watts, Eckhart Tolle etc without putting much of it into practise and mostly only knowing what they teach in theory.

At the start of the year I started Qigong which helped me get into a great place to begin a meditation practise. I believe this helped to prepare my body for the mental aspect of meditation.

Ok so here's the thing - I'm fully obsessed with this journey. After a few weeks of 30 minutes per day I had a week off work and went fully in, doing approx 3/4 hours meditation every day and have carried it on for the past few months. During this period I've had many blissful moments and some borderline scary Kundalini experiences, but all of which I know is happening at its right timing.

When I'm not meditating I'm mostly reading, studying and thinking 24/7 about my awakening and all things related to it (with a few breaks to reset). This is when I stumbled across this site after a redditor recommended it.

I've so far only tried the deep meditation (plus the pranayama as I already feel I've developed my meditation abilities to the point where this shouldn't do harm) and have to say it felt pretty amazing - but here's the catch - I don't really want to reduce my time meditating from 3/4 hours per day down to only one hour in total.

So my question is - is it possible to do several of these deep meditations per day, or is this not really recommended? I was thinking that if I limit the pranayama to twice per day and go ahead with the rest then it may work out nicely.

Thank you for any and all advice!

Namaste

Edited by - drexciyan_cruiser on May 18 2023 6:37:05 PM

Wil

Sweden
150 Posts

Posted - May 18 2023 :  9:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome drexciyan_cruiser!

How long have you been practicing the AYP methods? Do you know that the AYP is supposed to be done only twice a day?

Someone or 'a search away' in this forum will probably fill you in more thoroughly but all I can say is to read the lessons...
"less is more" is really a key with these powerful methods. I have been trough a couple of years of AYP. The 'effects' (scenery) or whatever that drives us will sneak up on us and then even weeks or months later, you may realize that you have been overloading (kundalini issues). In the end the desire fuels the routine but remember, it is a journey from here, now. To here, now.

I have a similar urge to meditate more at times of intense desire (Bhakti) but I can merely handle around 10 minutes of meditation usually. I could manage Spinal breathing the first months but then my sensitivity changed and I stepped down to just some breaths of spinal breathing. Later I realized, although after weeks of subtle overload, that I merely get crazy restless and impatient even from a few breaths of spinal breathing.

The first time of my AYP journey was weird and paradoxal as I could not even discuss or read philosophy/spiritual things because I would end up unsettled or restless. I recall screaming full of fury and totally convinced of the validity of my argument "It just IS!" to my poor friends.

Best wishes
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - May 19 2023 :  04:58:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome

You are a young man (compared to my 65) and already have a big head start to the rest of your life. I wish I had started at 35! AYP is specifically designed to inform how to set yourself up for liberation in this lifetime, in a safe discipled way, with thousands of years of knowledge at your fingertips.

It does sound, so far, that you are not overly sensitive, which is a good thing because, in time, you will be adding more practices. I hope you are reading the lessons in order, so you arrive at the proper mindset regarding how to self pace yourself, and how to ground, should discomfort arise. The strength and scope of these yoga practices are strong, and that needs to be respected, if you don’t want to get sidelined.

quote:
So my question is - is it possible to do several of these deep meditations per day, or is this not really recommended? I was thinking that if I limit the pranayama to twice per day and go ahead with the rest then it may work out nicely.

Several meditation a day is not recommended, because it is too much too soon. If you haven’t read the lessons, click “start lessons here” on the left side of this page. Once you are sure that five/ten minutes of SBP and twenty minutes DM, twice daily, is stable over a few months. Then one can start adding things like asanas, chin pump, bastrika, YKM, Samyama.

Eventually enough purification of your neurobiology will realize conductivity in your body, and the experience of much less effort resulting in more sensation, much deeper silence.

You are doing great so far! DM will build your inner witness and silence. These are crucial milestones and experiences. Dedicate intention/attention to discipline, learn to appreciate and release experiences, and to be kind to yourself. Remember it was the tortoise that beat the hare in the fable. Try not to let desire get you too far over the skis! Report back

Go to Top of Page

drexciyan_cruiser

Germany
2 Posts

Posted - May 20 2023 :  09:53:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for your replies :)

I had read everything up until the end of the "spinal breathing - pranayama" section. So I had prepared myself trying out the AYP methods.

For me, and no disrespect here, AYP is not for me. I prefer to sit longer each day and the AYP method seems similar to Kriya in that its a fast track way, but for me meditation is a very enjoyable thing that I like to do several times a day. Even though I'm meditating much more per day, it actually feels much more slow burn as I practise zazen and shikantaza.

Thank you anyway - all the best in your journey(s).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000