Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Heart Sensations and rate
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Zaelithe

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2022 :  8:08:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Greetings all, I am just looking for a bit of reassurance here to satisfy my mind rather than any deeper fear (which I am not really feeling). Recently I have been experiencing a lot of sensations in the central chest/heart area. The sensations are mostly very pleasant and sometimes almost ‘groan out loud’ ecstatic (heartgasm anyone?,) but they can also feel pretty weird.
A friend recently gave me a Fitbit which monitors activity and heart rate in the day and it is this that has prompted my query. When I am meditating or resting my heart rate drops to the low 50s (I am physically active and fit) but when I feel a rush of ecstatic sensation running through that area my pulse can plummet into the 40s or leap up to 140+. This only happens when I feel the flood of energy, not at other times. I do a lot of quite challenging hillwalking (having found this the best grounding practice for me) and have no problems with breathlessness, fast pulse or any other symptoms. At one level I feel certain that this is another interesting bit of ‘scenery’ on the journey, but heading into my mid sixties I am loath to dismiss such things entirely. I would be grateful if any of those who have traveled further could tell me if they have experienced similar and if it is one more ‘new normal’ to get used to! Blessings, Zaelithe

interpaul

USA
525 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2022 :  01:03:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Zaelithe, Based on your description, I suspect this is all in the realm of "normal", i.e not dangerous. If your heart rate was high or low for bad reasons you would likely feel pain, shortness of breath or break out into a sweat. I suspect a lot depends on how quickly your heart recovers from these extremes and if you feel any lingering symptoms. The very low heart rate is likely do to increased parasympathetic tone in deep meditation or possibly oxytocin release, which has been associated with bradycardia (and pleasant connected feelings). Increased heart rate is clearly linked with ecstatic experiences as we all know our heart races when we are aroused. There are many hormones at play with this pathway including serotonin and epinephrine. I agree this is likely "scenery". You may want to run this by your doc as 140+ is pretty fast and in your mid sixties this could be stressful to your system (although if you are in good shape as you point out, your body is likely able to tolerate). Curious to hear others experiences.
Go to Top of Page

Zaelithe

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2022 :  09:56:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you Interpaul. What you have written is so helpful. ‘In my gut’, I just know that this is all fine and I probably wouldn’t have known the actual rates without the Fitbit. However, your explanations have satisfied the medically curious aspect of my mind as to what is going on and reassured me. I too am also interested to hear of the experiences of others and am mightily grateful to have this forum to come to with such unusual questions.
Blessings, Z
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2198 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2022 :  02:17:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Zaelithe

I too am in my mid sixties, enjoy a fit, healthy lifestyle, have a resting heart rate in the low fifties, and wear a Fitbit. Because of my low resting rate, twenty years ago I was outfitted with a halter monitor for 24 hours and then did a thirty minute stress test on a treadmill, to assure I had no underlying heart issues (I did not). 140 does seem very high for a heart rate; if you have any doubts, please seek advice from your physician. Chances are, you probably have nothing to worry about if you are experiencing no other symptoms.

I have to say I love my Fitbit. The daily tracking of active minutes, steps travelled, calories burned, and logging my sleep has been a great motivator in keeping healthy habits.
Go to Top of Page

Zaelithe

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2022 :  8:50:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Dogboy, I agree, Fitbits can be quite motivating and fun. I think I might be more concerned about the occasional high heart rate if it happened at times other than when I am aware of a flood of prana/ecstasy but happily, it doesn’t. Similarly with the very low rates too. I think I’ll skip bothering any doctors - the situation in the UK at present means you’ve little chance of seeing one face-to-face unless you are mortally ill anyway!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000