AYPsite.org Forum
 Books, Web Sites, Audio, Video, etc.
 Dr T Lobsang Rampa
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nameless

23 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  7:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nameless's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
He writes many books like The Third Eye, YOU forever and Chapters of Life

when I was very young I read a lot of his books.
they inspire me to these New Age and spiritual stuffs.
too bad I didnt have much result with the exercises in the books.
Maybe he is a better story teller.

He is a Yellow hat sect lama and i read that he possessed an Irish guy to publish the books.

I think the Chapter of Life is his best illustrated book
and YOU Forever is good for those who want to know some of the spiritual and psychic stuffs.

Edited by - aypmod3 on Jan 09 2007 7:15:21 PM

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Jan 09 2007 :  8:07:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
i liked the third eye also when I was young. This page claims he was a hoax, but he says he was possessed:

The Third Eye, published in 1956 and authored by Tuesday Lobsang Rampa, purported to be Rampa's autobiographical tale of his study and mastery of Tibetan Buddhism.

Rampa claimed that he had been born into a wealthy Tibetan family and had studied in Lhasa to become a lama. He had then undergone an operation to open up the "third eye" in the middle of his forehead. This operation had bestowed upon him amazing psychic powers.

Naturally, this description of an ancient Tibetan operation that could provide psychic powers raised a few eyebrows, especially among serious scholars of Tibetan culture. Keen to debunk what they were sure was a fraud, a group of scholars living in Britain hired a detective, Clifford Burgess, to determine the validity of Rampa's tale.

What Burgess discovered was that Rampa had never been to Tibet, nor had he ever had any operation done to his forehead. Instead Rampa was actually Cyril Henry Hoskins, born in Devon, England, and son of a plumber named Joseph Henry Hopkins.

Cyril, it turned out, had always been interested in the study of the occult. He had studied it as much as he could in his spare time. But one day he had taken his interest a step further. He grew a beard, shaved his head, and began to refer to himself as "Dr. Kuan-suo."

Burgess confronted Cyril with what he had learned, but Cyril had a ready explanation at hand. He said that while he may have been born Cyril Henry Hoskins, he had become Tuesday Lobsang Rampa because his body had been taken over by Rampa's spirit. Therefore, according to him, all the information in his book was true.

Despite having been proven to be a phony—a plumber's son posing as a Tibetan monk— a market still existed for Rampa's brand of humbug. Evidently quite a few people were willing to believe his tale about having been possessed by the spirit of a Tibetan monk. So he continued on with his career as Tuesday Lobsang Rampa, writing twelve more books before his death in 1981. However, none of them sold as well as The Third Eye.

http://www.museumofhoaxes.com/thirdeye.html
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  9:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The third eye was lots of fun. I like to think that he regained memory of a legitimate past life. What gets me to think that there might be something to it was the fact that he was genuinely pissed off about not being able to levitate.

Then again, my dad is a mentalist (no psychic claims) and he says that if you fail sometimes, that makes people believe more ardently.
Go to Top of Page

Nameless

23 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2007 :  9:44:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Nameless's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have read many of his books in the past but I like Chapters of life most.

It discuss about life and reality
reading it feels like watching the movie matrix. :)

Fun !

there are some books on adventures as well like Doctor from Lhasa.
He has a "talking" cat Cleopatra, really like the black cat in sailormoon and sabrina the teenage witch.

However, I do not agree with everything he said.

You can say that he contributed significantly to the New Age trend in the west. Maybe some of the modern New Age jargons are originated from his books.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000