New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2021 :  1:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi All:

This was posted today as an AYP Plus lesson addition.

The guru is in you.

https://www.aypsite.com/plus/24.html#24.6
quote:
Hello All:

I want to share an experience that has a profound spiritual message that applies to all of us.

Late last year I noticed several lumps in my groin, and upon performance of a biopsy received a diagnosis of "metastatic melanoma," a dangerous and potentially fast-moving cancer, which years ago had a survival rate of one year or less. This was after some 50 years of yogic living habits, spiritual practices and almost never being sick. Quite a surprise.

Scans were done and it was determined that, fortunately, the cancer had not spread beyond the groin to other parts of the body yet. It was decided not to do surgery, and an aggressive course of "immunotherapy" infusions was undertaken using a drug specifically designed to redirect the power of the immune system to destroy this particular kind of cancer. Within six weeks it was working and the tumors were shrinking. However, the side effects from the treatments were extreme, leading to high fevers, extreme weakness, nausea, inability to eat anything for weeks, or even get out of bed.

The treatments also led to the immune system attacking the body's blood, reducing it to less than one-half its normal volume. This landed me in the hospital for nine days in March, where efforts were undertaken to save my life from blood loss, including administering additional drugs to stop the destruction of blood, having transfusions, etc. It finally came around, and since getting out of the hospital, I am doing much better, though in a very weakened state with a lot of rehabilitation to do over the coming months. Meanwhile, the cancer is currently in retreat, but I am still a patient who will have future scans and potential treatments as needed.

On the spiritual dimension of this experience, the one thing that really stands out is the power of the witness, and the effect of many years of daily Deep Meditation. At no time was I (or my wife who has been primary caretaker) overcome by fear, regret, or even much grumbling, live or die, and it could have gone either way (still could, I suppose). There has been a silent joy throughout the whole thing, with quite a bit of levity, and continuing now. No suffering... A definite confirmation of the power of the benefit of long term Deep Meditation practice in the face of a major life challenge.

Of course, this applies to everything in life, whether it be a pandemic, personal financial hardships, health issues, loss of a loved one. Any major life challenge. The life experience will be there, the pain and all the rest, but so too is the silent Divine within us for those who meditate. No real suffering, which is the identification of awareness with the life experiences, including physical, mental and emotional. We saw a lot of suffering in the hospital, people crying out in attachment to their pain and worry, both patients and family members. I wish they had been meditating all these years too. We who teach and share Deep Meditation have a lot of work to do. The world needs this!

The most important thing that has come out of this experience for me is that everyone needs to take a much closer look at undertaking a steady daily Deep Meditation practice. It is the cornerstone of establishing freedom in this life. It is not a big thing to do, only a few minutes each day. Over time, this will bring in the element of abiding inner silence in all aspects of our life and insulate us from the suffering and misery that come when awareness believes it is the external experience. It isn't! In our essential nature, we are beyond all that, untouched, and direct experience verifies this again and again. We can engage fully in life, in absolute freedom.

Deep Meditation is the simplest and easiest way to cultivate this condition of freedom from suffering, no matter what challenges we are facing in life. The book (which is top rated on Amazon with hundreds of reviews) is the quickest and most direct way to get started with Deep Meditation and sustain a simple practice that can change our perspective on everything, including the difficult circumstances we will all surely face at some time in our life. That is why I am telling this story. We never know when extreme difficulties will happen, and we'd like to be ready, established in the witness where we are free.

I also want to offer a few comments here about the overall AYP system of practices. It is vast, developed over many years to cover every nook and cranny of yoga practice and the broad range of spiritual experience that human beings are capable of by virtue of our inherent subtle neurobiological structure. It is a teaching for the ages really, refined and collated here, and accessible for anyone to use. Human beings are designed for advanced spiritual expression and experience, and radiating that into the environment in the form of outpouring divine love, and the emergence of unity in all aspects of ordinary life. This too is very real and verified by many long term practitioners. However, it is not for everyone right now. It is a long journey from the cultivation of abiding inner silence in Deep Meditation to the outer expressions of inner silence as ecstatic conductivity, radiance, and unity.

I feel that I, and many, have jumped the gun in focusing on the broader scope of AYP too much, where instead, the focus for the vast majority of people should be on establishing an easy and steady routine of daily Deep Meditation, and that only. The broad scope of AYP is for the few who are experienced and are ready for that. But it isn't a good idea for most people, and most will not be interested in the broad scope of AYP anyway. Simple daily Deep Meditation alone will provide the necessary abiding inner silence to support all aspects of our life, including reducing suffering in trying times. This is all you need. Trying to do everything at once in AYP (energy practices, etc.) can actually reduce the effects of Deep Meditation.

For everyone engaged in ordinary daily living, this is all that is necessary. So engage in daily Deep Meditation first. Get the book, and do it today.

Thank you for listening to this old yogi. It can make all the difference when a crisis comes. That is what has been brought home by my experience. Meditate!

The guru is in you.

nina

USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2021 :  3:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit nina's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

firststep

USA
23 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2021 :  6:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani, thank you for sharing your experience. Hope the cancer stays gone and you stay for years. I appreciate your reminder to prioritize DM to cultivate inner silence.
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2021 :  03:18:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2021 :  03:50:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani
It's good to see you posting on the forum again.

This recent lesson might be one of the most important in AYP. We have had too many practitioners rushing to add energy practices and falling out of meditation altogether because of overload. I feel we could be more conservative in our advice in the forums. Beginners often do not recognise overload. Maybe we could do more to help them understand how important it is to safeguard their meditation practice. And also encourage everyone to stick to the meditation technique that suits them. There is a perception that the alternatives to the I AM meditation are second best. This perception puts pressure on some practitioners to hang on to a meditation technique that is too strong for them. The best meditation technique for each of us is the one that is sustainable. If that happens to be breath meditation or passive awareness, then that is the practice we do and love, and we should not feel that we are underprivileged because we're unable to meditate with I AM. I also feel that passive awareness meditation can receive more attention in AYP. For oversensitive practitioners, it is the natural progression from breath meditation.
Maybe more on this later. I won't make this post very long. We should let you focus on rest and recovery now.

Best wishes for your health.
Go to Top of Page

Buffle37

Switzerland
79 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2021 :  05:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Buffle37's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

Your message is very important. It highlights what the world needs today: a simple and practical method that everyone can do.

When in 2008 I discovered AYP, I found it was a simple and practical presentation for the 21st century of yogic techniques shrouded in obsolete beliefs and superstitions that were very difficult to navigate one’s way. At that time AYP was a revelation to me.

Indeed I wanted to do everything from the beginning and I had to learn self-pacing and to moderate my practice. Being retired with time on my hands, this was not really a problem. But I understand that for those engaged in everyday life, it is quite different.

So I think it's a good thing to focus on a simple method accessible to all. Anyway, the other practices will always be there for the enthusiasts like me.

I have translated your message for the forum in French:

https://forum-meditation-ayp.com/vi...07d8a92#p490

My very best wishes for your health and thanks for your enlightning text.

Didier

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2021 :  06:18:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by BlueRaincoat

I feel we could be more conservative in our advice in the forums. Beginners often do not recognise overload. Maybe we could do more to help them understand how important it is to safeguard their meditation practice. And also encourage everyone to stick to the meditation technique that suits them. There is a perception that the alternatives to the I AM meditation are second best. This perception puts pressure on some practitioners to hang on to a meditation technique that is too strong for them. The best meditation technique for each of us is the one that is sustainable. If that happens to be breath meditation or passive awareness, then that is the practice we do and love, and we should not feel that we are underprivileged because we're unable to meditate with I AM. I also feel that passive awareness meditation can receive more attention in AYP. For oversensitive practitioners, it is the natural progression from breath meditation.

Yes, the variations in technique, breath meditation and passive awareness in particular, are perfectly valid in AYP for those with sensitivity to mantra meditation, and these are covered here: https://www.aypsite.com/367.html (with substantial additions in AYP Plus)

Sensitivity issues are the exception rather than the rule, off on the right side of the standard distribution bell curve of sensitivities to Deep Meditation, with most practitioners falling in the center with good results. Sensitivity is most often related to overdoing non-Deep Meditation energy practices either before or after arriving at AYP. There are also the rare instances of those who are born with an inherent sensitivity to Deep Meditation. We do our best to address all of these situations. But again, they are mostly exceptions to the normal positive response to daily Deep Meditation, and should not be off-putting for the average person considering beginning Deep Meditation for the first time.

And yes, we should be more conservative in pointing the general public to the resources in AYP, with much more attention on helping folks establish a simple daily meditation routine that will have a positive influence in their life, and especially prepare them to live in the perpetual happiness of abiding inner silence (eternal witness), moving beyond the unnecessary experience of suffering when the inevitable life challenges come. That is what meditation is for. It is not primarily for all the other adventures that can lead practitioners who overdo into trouble.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2021 :  06:30:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Buffle37

I have translated your message for the forum in French:

https://forum-meditation-ayp.com/vi...07d8a92#p490

Thank you for all your love and support, Buffle37 - Didier.

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

SuperMonk

Indonesia
15 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2021 :  07:52:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Praying for your speedy recovery Yogani!
A few serious overloads in the past two years made me realize that indeed meditation is the key. I am grateful to @Jimandhiskarma and several other people here for advice's regarding grounding. I had to struggle quite a bit to have a balanced routine of deep meditation, Spinal breathing , Samyama let alone the other techniques. I tried to add spinal bhastrika last year but realized its causing too much purification that i can handle.
Our fellow brothers and sisters here who have just started , i would recommend the same to what Yogani has mentioned. Strive for Inner Silence and not energy overloads.

Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2021 :  08:40:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blessings to you, dear Yogani

I had never meditated before AYP nor had any spiritually energetic experiences, so I am proof positive DM is highly effective in promoting Witness and ecstatic conductivity. I have outlined in earlier posts how my practices have reduced my suffering, as a parent of an autistic child and in dealing with sobriety struggles within my family. It is amazing to experience chaotic exterior realities juxtaposed with an interior calmness, one of many paradoxes yoga practices foster. Before AYP, I was also very nervous when taking off or landing in a plane, and the fruits of practice dissipated that fear. Every sitting leaves me with the distinct feeling I am being upgraded by samadhi.

Thank you for all you have done for us practitioners by making AYP an open source. May the future winds continue to blow in your favor!

Edited by - Dogboy on Apr 11 2021 08:41:43 AM
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2021 :  10:32:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Yogani
The witness seems very much dissolved into awarness of absence
And it is a great joy to read your words about encouraging new people to stick to basic practice of dm and give them more conservative advices
It is a topic that I mentioned before in private with many people in the forums since I started re posting in the forums in 2020 after few years of absence
Initially ayp was more conservative and down to earth .. when I stopped posting around 2016 and came around again in 2020 I saw lots of discrepancies
I believe the retreats topics should be simplified too....less fireworks promises and practices and more silence
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2021 :  5:51:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani,

Good to hear that you are recovering. Thanks for the update and good to hear that you have not been suffering during your illness. It is a tribute to the power of yoga!

And I would agree with you that most people in the world would benefit from focussing on meditation. It would certainly make a huge difference in the world if many more took up the practice of meditation on a daily basis. It would be the saving grace that the world needs right now.

And yes, certainly the more advanced practices are still only for the few. For those who are ready. That has always been the case with yoga. It is for sincere seekers. I am sure that one day the more advanced practices will be for the many as well, but we are still some way off that. The few who are ready are preparing the way for the rest.

One step at a time!

Christi
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2021 :  8:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2021 :  8:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani, I have felt your absence from the forums in recent months. Hearing of your struggles with melanoma and anemia affected me deeply. We project onto our teachers a desire for them to manifest special powers making them invulnerable to illness. I am happy to hear of your recovery and how meaningful inner silence has been during this heath threat. Although I have had my challenges at times with the full array of AYP practices (which this community you've created has helped me work through), I am grateful you have made these teachings available to the world in the way you have done. It is true the teachings come with a burden of responsibility that falls on the practitioner rather than the teacher. You have done an outstanding job spelling out in detail the risks, and your recommendation for self pacing, grounding, and building Rome slowly. I hope you continue on this path to full health as we all benefit from your wisdom. Interpaul
Go to Top of Page

Steve

277 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2021 :  9:35:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit Steve's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani ,

Thank you for all that you have shared and for sharing your current experience now. It has helped many world-wide. Wishing you the very best in all things .... am keeping you in my prayers.

Much love to you always,
Steve
Go to Top of Page

American Baba

USA
48 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2021 :  10:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

amuhai

USA
18 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2021 :  01:42:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Yogani,
Thank you very much for your kindness, selflessness and contributions to evolving humanity. We wish you a full and speedy recovery.
Love and Blessings to you.
Go to Top of Page

glamao

8 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2021 :  02:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
hello Yogani,
happy to read that recovery is on track.
Om
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2021 :  11:23:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Zaelithe

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2021 :  2:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you so much for sharing this Yogani. It is a powerful reminder that none of us are exempt from illness (and death) but you describe a path by which we can live out all of life’s ups an downs but stay serene in the experience of ourselves as the awareness that witnesses all that arises. What you have written has been a much needed reminder to me to ‘keep it simple’, stick with the most important practice of all (DM) and not to get diverted by the scenery. With gratitude for all you have given and my wishes for your complete recovery.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2021 :  09:01:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Yogani and AYP friends,

So glad to hear that Yogani is recovering well after this health crisis and his experience with “looking over the edge.” The point Yogani is making is of the utmost importance: Meditation is the central practice in yoga, and really in any spiritual practice, even when called by a different name. As a psychologist, I can say that therapy/counselling are only ways to manage/live with life problems, while meditation brings in time a complete restructuring of the mind, to a point where the life problems lose their potency. The inner silence cultivated through meditation is the cornerstone of the spiritual transformation.

The AYP system covers all the major practices leading safely and quickly to this spiritual transformation. I am currently taking a 9 months course in Tibetan yoga and Theravada-Mahayana-Vajrayana, with a lot of lectures, readings, and practices, and everything I am learning is present in a form or another in the AYP. And the one practice that stand out, that can take us all the way to enlightenment, that it is always present for the ones who walked this path ahead of us, is meditation. All the other practices are enhancements to be possibly added to a stable meditation practice.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2021 :  09:05:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Cato

Germany
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2021 :  09:34:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yogani, I feel your post is encouraging in many ways. I also feel that the importance of DM is stressed out in AYP very well. The lessons keep it at heart and come back to this maxim quite regularly. However, for me, reading about self-pacing was one thing, but experiencing the need for it was another.

I am happy to hear you're feeling better and wish you all the best
Go to Top of Page

Walter

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2021 :  06:11:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you,Yogani.You have taught and inspired thousands over years passed. I'm sure I speak for all of them as well as myself in thanking you from the depth of my being. May your recovery be sustained and you be blessed with many more years of health and happiness.
Go to Top of Page

alain

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2021 :  5:05:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

iamthat

India
14 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2021 :  10:34:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thankyou Yogani
Wish you a very speedy recovery.
Lots of Love

Iamthat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000