Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Retreated.....
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  07:29:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello everyone:

So i have taken a longish break from all spiritual practises, i.e meditation. SBP etc etc

I'm now feeling the draw to engage once again in the practise.

Now as im not a newbie to meditation or to SBP, how long should i start into the meditation (weeks?) before I incorporate back into SBP?

Many Thanks,

M

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  09:08:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you quit because of overload, I would err on the side of caution, perhaps ten minutes of DM, and see how that feels. If nothing adverse bubbles up after a few days, add five minutes of SBP, and build up your practice at a measured pace from there, IMO.
Go to Top of Page

alain

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  09:14:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi! SparklingDiamond

Good question, it's up to you, do what you feel like. Perhaps start small and see how you feel then come up with a plan to increase slowly to the level that you were before. But no matter how you decide to proceed keep in mind to monitor how you feel after your practices in order to avoid a repeat of the condition that caused you to stop in the first place.
Also this is a good time to brush up on your practices by reading the instructions again.
The longer the break the slower the restart, just like a car on a cold day, you need to warm up the oil before you drive away, but once it's warmed up you can start it up on and off and drive it right away.
Good luck and trust the guru in you.
alain
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2021 :  12:14:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Maria, Nice to see you back on the forums. I hope you find a stable path back.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2021 :  05:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks dogboy, allain and interpaul!

The truth is I quit because of my personal life nothing at all to do with overload. I was actually progressing really well. I'm annoyed at myself for getting distracted.

I have been a long time meditator on and off for about thirty years now.

In the interim of stopping my ayp I have still meditated every now and again. But rather randomly.

I stopped my ayp practises aug 2020
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  11:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If you did not stop because of overload I would suggest you continue as per your last routine.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2021 :  4:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Agreed. Spiritual muscle memory.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  02:57:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you SeySorciere! And Dog Boy!

So today I began back into my meditation practise. its been about three weeks since my last meditation session.

Disappointed somewhat.

I started with twenty mins of chanting (just gets me into the right headspace and seems to calm my body down in preparation for DM)

Except, after the twenty mins of chanting, I could only sit for ten mins of DM!
I started to feel bored with the DM. I don't know why. Now i'm questioning have i just been getting too much stimuli from my online activities and sitting for meditation is just not stimulating enough. I know online can give us a dopamine hit, and lately i have been spending alot of time online.

Any words of advice please? Should i just not do the chanting and head straight into DM? I was even considering using crystal bowls youtube vid to get me to settle into the meditation without feeling a bit bored with it. I didnt get bored with the chanting though.

Thanks for any help.

Maria
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  09:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Any words of advice please? Should i just not do the chanting and head straight into DM? I was even considering using crystal bowls youtube vid to get me to settle into the meditation without feeling a bit bored with it. I didnt get bored with the chanting though.

Only you (and Inner Guru) can structure your individual practice. Making a decision based on one sitting seems a bit flighty to me though. The focus on any given practice should not be based solely on experiences or entertainment value, but on how it enhances (or not) your life beyond your meditation space. Do you really need to be micromanaging “head space”?
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  09:34:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you dogboy. I didnt even realise i was micro managaing. Maybe I am.
Its just don't know how to sit through that uncomfortable feeling of restlessness and boredom.
I certainly plan to continue, not giving up that easily, but just thought i would slip back into my DM practise without too much hassle. Maybe I have a lot of buildup of stress in my system and its releasing through restlessness/boredom. I know that meditation is not about entertainment, and I forgot to not have any kind of expectations.

Edited by - SparklingDiamond on Mar 17 2021 09:40:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2021 :  2:41:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
SparklingDiamond, I suspect your struggles are very common. I have certainly had some days when the medidation session was boring or I felt restless. We do live in an over stimulated society. Coming back to AYP after very stimulating online experiences may result in the inevitable comparisons of short term impact. My experience with AYP is the benefits come from persistence. In the same way we come back to the mantra when our mind wanders, we come back to the practice when we feel underwhelmed. Yogani has certainly thrown in a variety of stimulatory practices that can boost one's enthusiasm for the practice but ultimately the goal is to find that inner silence at the center of the deep meditation. As Dogboy states you ultimately have to sort out what makes sense for you. I like yogani's example of the person digging for water. If they dig in many places giving up after only digging for a short while, they never find the water that is a bit deeper. Staying with one practice and going deep overtime yields the best results.
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2021 :  05:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for your reply InterPaul. The hit of dopamine from online activities such as social media, gaming etc etc becomes a habit and the brain becomes a bit addicted to that. ITs a process of weaning one's self off of it.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000