Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Ecstatic conductivity "under the hood"
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2020 :  7:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I've been wondering lately what actually is ecstatic conductivity. From a neurophysiological perspective it feels like SBP and DM stimulate the center of the brain that is associated with arousal. From my recollections of college courses on neurophysiology I wonder if it works on the reticular activating system, as well as the autonomic nervous system and the endocrine system, yet I suspect it it more.

My sense of Yogani's teachings points more to this being associated with the flow of the divine in the body. The way this energy moves in samyama and what I've read about "inquiry" (which I haven't done yet) suggests ecstatic conductivity is a channel to the divine. How do you view this process?

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2020 :  06:21:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by interpaul
I wonder if it works on the reticular activating system, as well as the autonomic nervous system and the endocrine system, yet I suspect it it more.

I guess it works on all these things. We, humans have another mode of being. When we move into it, it probably changes lots of things in our biology.

It would be good to see science look into it more. I think spiritual transformation should be the object of neuroscience and psychology. Traditionally, religions have hijacked this field. A more scientific and less dogmatic approach would be useful.

There are already quite a few scientific studies on the effects of meditation on the brain. As meditation and yoga become more widespread, and more people are transformed by spiritual practice, science is bound to pay more attention to the changes that we experience as a result. We are part of that trend.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2020 :  12:19:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
My sense of Yogani's teachings points more to this being associated with the flow of the divine in the body. The way this energy moves in samyama and what I've read about "inquiry" (which I haven't done yet) suggests ecstatic conductivity is a channel to the divine. How do you view this process?

Meditation certainly seemed to rewire me neurobiologically and opened me up to feeling/arousing interior energy flow that was not possible before. More scientific study would be helpful in discovering if meditation unveils something dormant, or activates the process over time, perhaps a combination of the two? As religions deal with divinity, it is understandable how someone with a history of devotion and prayer equates this state with “being with God” rather than simply a neurological/physical change. I remain open to all possibilities of “big D little d” divine.

The experience of ecstatic conductivity and inner silence enlivens my body in asana, moves me outward beyond my flesh, allows me interior explorations of physiology and emotional states that was not possible before, all in the simple act of surrendering when it is noticeably present. It’s nice to discover I have a super power!

Edited by - Dogboy on Nov 22 2020 12:23:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Stille

Germany
76 Posts

Posted - Nov 22 2020 :  12:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'd say it is definitely working on every level of our being. At the moment I experience it very physically in the form of bodily shaking/surges, automatic asanas/pranayama and some nectar cycle sensations. I am looking forward to the more refined states that eventually shall arise.

I experienced "elevated states" for a few moments here and there but overall my journey seems to be linear in progression. Meaning that more of the "higher states" will happen once the bodily transformation is finished. At least that's what im expecting
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2020 :  12:35:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your comments. I wish I had a background in basic science research as I would love to study this. In the end, it doesn't really matter what is going on under the hood, but rather the fact that things are going on under the hood. I am grateful for this change to my neurobiology.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4365 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2020 :  08:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Interpaul,

You may find this website interesting:

https://biologyofkundalini.com/

I believe a lot of the ideas presented are based on speculation, but then new scientific discoveries have always started with speculation. It is quite a comprehensive site, covering many aspects of the neurobiological changes that happen during a spiritual awakening.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

k.cherry

USA
86 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2020 :  11:37:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by interpaul
it feels like SBP and DM stimulate the center of the brain that is associated with arousal

Quite literally the only thing that has ever made me feel that way is weed, hence my apparent propensity to reach for it. I suspect I must be brain damaged in that region or something. I've always had a low sex drive, and I've always felt that something wasn't right, like some huge aspect of myself has not ever been brought online. I get glimpses of ecstatic conductivity (I think), but I would love to someday understand what everybody is talking about here.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2020 :  12:01:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
From a neurophysiological perspective, the ecstatic conductivity seems to express as a rewiring of a nervous system to renew and restore normal functions. Research on long time meditators shows that their brains produce gamma waves – the high frequency waves associated with a state of awareness and focus, like when we are engaged in problem solving. While for regular subjects this is only a momentary state, for long term meditators this appears to be a normal way of functioning. In long time meditators, the default mode network (medial prefrontal and cingulate posterior cortex) quiets down, which seems to be experienced as a reduction in negative affect, and a reduction or disappearance of a sense of ego and consequentially a sense of expansion and unity with the world. The research I have read talks about this as a “temporary” state, but my experience is that this becomes a stable state of functioning. Jud Brewer wrote a book “The Craving Mind” in which he describes his studies of Tibetan monks with fMRI.

The ecstatic conductivity brings a considerable increase of energy in the system, and sooner or later a general relaxation and improvement in functioning. I agree with you, the reticulate activation ascending system is involved, there is none or less switch-off when going to sleep, or maybe it is a different way to turn off the cortex, while keeping some structures active and this is the reason there is an experience of continuous awareness. There is much more to learn about this, so if any grad students are here looking for something to study this is an interesting topic.
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2020 :  12:52:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the additional sharings.
Christi, This looks like a meaty website which I will need to devote some considerable time, thanks.
K.cherry, I know what you mean. For most of my life I have heard folks make all sorts of claims of exceptional experiences and I was both doubtful and jealous at the same time. I came to AYP already having had a kundalini awakening and I've used the AYP practices as a way to focus and cultivate the energy. I would expect anyone who truly committed to Yogani's practices as written would eventually experience the ecstatic conductivity. It is very real and I would keep at it. It does seem inner silence is ultimately the ticket to true spiritual growth. It has taken me a year and a half of twice daily meditation consistently to just start experiencing this during DM.
Blanche, I do wonder if the AYP practices, particularly SBP are different from what is studied in the Tibetan monks. I know from having tried a number of other practices prior to AYP, this is a very different practice. SBP is nothing like mindfullness meditation or any of those other calm practices. It really revs up the system. I am now finding DM to be pretty powerfully charged with ecstatic energy too.
I am seriously considering associating myself with a research lab at one of the local colleges/medical centers when I return from my career in medicine and study this stuff.
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1506 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2020 :  4:16:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello interpaul,

Interesting conversations. AYP and the website Biology of Kundalini that Christi referred to helped during the peak/midst of awakening here.

Tantric Buddhism covers the energetic practices. They have detail maps of the subtle body. Many Western practitioners (including our very own legend Yogani ) are bridging the chasm between the wisdom tradition of the East and the modern science of the West or the Western Mind as they say. I had the opportunity to enroll in a class by Dr Ian Baker recently. He is one such pioneer. The last module was dedicated to Science and Tantric commons “current research in experiential neuroscience of the role of introceptive attention, vagal tone, interstitial integrity, piezoelectricity, and neuroplasticity in mediating human experience.” The course was fascinating to say the least.

I highly recommend his book Tibetan Yoga: Principles and Practices. If you are interested in reading/researching further. In addition, these two books on details of subtle body and Kundalini awakening.

1)Kundalini Vidya The Science of Spiritual Transformation: A comprehensive system for understanding and guiding spiritual development
2) Stories of Spiritual Transformation: The Fulfillment of Kundalini Process - Modern Seekers, Ancient Teachings

You are already aware, AYP includes everything one ever needs to realize luminous emptiness as the Tantric Buddhism/Tibetan Buddhism would say.

Sunyata

Edited by - sunyata on Nov 24 2020 4:19:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

interpaul

USA
524 Posts

Posted - Nov 24 2020 :  7:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sunyata, Thanks. I will check them out,much appreciated
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000