AYPsite.org Forum
 Yamas & Niyamas - Restraints & Observances
 Fasting problem
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

compassion

87 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2020 :  05:29:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
So I've been quite a regular intermittent faster now (eating lunch and then not eating again until a late breakfast the next day). After some energetic openings, I felt called to experiment with fasting a bit longer. I had the idea of 48 hours in my head.

I've tried this twice now, but both times after waking (around the 40-hour mark), I got strong symptoms of low blood sugar and broke the fast. I would like to explore this more, because also both times I found a new calm & clarity in mind and body, a more pronounced divine sound in my ears, and some stronger energetic effects.

But low blood sugar can be dangerous, and I don't want to push the limit to see what is there. I'm curious to those who might have experienced this before, does the body adapt and does this improve with time and practice?

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2020 :  11:03:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Compassion,

If you are diabetic, then a drop in blood sugar level could be an issue. But if you are not diabetic, or suffer from hypoglycemia, then fasting for 48 hours should not normally be a problem. However, everyone is a bit different in terms of fasting, and what works well for someone else may not work well for you. So, you have to find what works best, depending on the particular stage you are at.

See this lesson addition from AYP Plus:

Addition 310.1 - Why are AYP Fasting Instructions so Varied?

"diet and fasting are highly personal, and especially so on the spiritual path with various degrees of kundalini, evolving nectar cycle, etc. mixed in at certain stages. It is for the practitioner to find what works best in each circumstance." [Yogani]

If you find it difficult to fast on only water, you could try juice fasting, which can be easier and provides some sugar intake. It can be quite easy to fast for 2 or 3 days on juices, or even longer. See lesson 310:

Lesson 310 - Fasting - A Powerful Spiritual Practice

"Liquids are another matter. No fast should ever be undertaken without adequate hydration. Our body needs water on a daily basis to continue to function, whether we are fasting or not. On a strict fast, only water is necessary to continue it. There is also the popular juice fast, which adds nutrients, particularly sugar, which is an energy source. For those who are inclined toward ongoing discomfort during a fast, a juice fast may be preferable." [Yogani]

Christi
Go to Top of Page

compassion

87 Posts

Posted - Jul 17 2020 :  05:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi!

I'll think about alternating shorter fasts with juice fasting and see if the situation improves :)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000