Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Late Night Practise
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jun 14 2020 :  11:54:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi Everyone:

Just a general question.
So alot of times since i have started back into my practise, my second SBP and DM is being done late at night. Sometimes just before midnight.

Now I'm not that tired when i practise, but last night I had some really bad dreams and was very restless. i again had practised just before sleep.

Is it not recommended right before sleep?

Thanks

Maria

Christi

United Kingdom
4371 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2020 :  06:56:37 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Maria,

The recommendation for afternoon practice is before your evening meal and before evening activities. See here:

"This practice is to be done twice each day, before you start your day and before you begin your evening activities. It is best done before meals, as digestion can interfere with the process of meditation." [Yogani]

From lesson 13.

There are cases where people do have to practice before bed, for example if they have young children to care for, or their work hours do not make it possible to practice before dinner. In some cases, people do not have a problem doing this, but for others it can affect sleep. If it is affecting your sleep, then try to bring your practice time forwards, to before dinner.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2020 :  11:14:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks very much Christi!
It just seems my schedule dictates a late meditation before bed. If the choice was between skipping a late meditation session altogether or better off to do it regardless if it's right before bed?

Also how did u find the relevant info ?
Thank you so much again !
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4371 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2020 :  1:22:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi SparklingDiamond,

AYP follows the principle of self-pacing. This means cutting back on practices if anything is happening which is uncomfortable or disturbing/ painful. So, if meditating before bed is causing sleep disturbance and bad dreams, then I would suggest not doing it. Good sleep is really important for spiritual progress, so it is better to go to bed and practise when you wake up.

If you want to find things in the lessons, you can do a search on the word, or words, that you are interested in. Click on site search in the top menu bar when you are viewing any of the lessons. You can also search these forums (again the link is in the top menu bar). AYP Plus has a better search function, as well as topic paths, for finding relevant lessons on a whole topic. "Sleep" is one of the topics listed.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

SparklingDiamond

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - Jun 19 2020 :  10:04:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi!

Incidentally I have been getting overload, and then I remembered this is why I quit practise a few years back when I discovered AYP

But now, I have cut back to five mins of SBP before DM rather than the ten mins of SBP, and its helped tremendously!

Thank you for your kindness and response.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000