Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 ”How to get friends to meditate”
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Wil

Sweden
150 Posts

Posted - May 28 2020 :  06:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
This might seem to be a harshly directed question but I wish there was a way to convince friends and family to meditate, so, how can you make people meditate?

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - May 28 2020 :  07:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anahora,
This is a good question. Having others around interested in meditation would not only be good for them, but also for us, as they will support our practice. One way to proceed is by example. The effects of your regular meditation practice will be noticed by people around you, sooner or later. They will ask you what you do to remain calm, be happy, stay young, and healthy. Someone in my community has just walked up to me and said: "I've known you for 20 years, and you have not changed. What are you doing?" Someone else came to me at the end of a yoga class: "I have heard that you meditate. What do you do?" This is a good time to talk about meditation and AYP.

Another way is to start a meditation group. You could explain that you are now interested in meditation, and a meditation group would be very helpful to you. Some family and friends would probably want to help you with this. You could also advertise in the community, and maybe find other people interested to join it. At this time, there are some meditation group meeting on zoom. You could take this further and look into getting a yoga teacher certification with the AYP, with the possibility of teaching yoga and meditation in your community.

Finally, there are now many mediation groups, including the AYP global meditation group Other AYP members meet on zoom for virtual retreats (see the AYP retreat page). Joining a mediation group and/or a retreat (virtually now, but someday again in person) often means that you will meet new meditators and maybe make new friends - who meditate.

Definitely, be patient and persevere. Making new habits is a slow process, but in time meditation will be very valuable to you, your family and friends, and your community.
Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
150 Posts

Posted - May 28 2020 :  08:17:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I love that imput Blanche. Going about it as an example is nice it seems that Im getting obsessed with the idea of getting others to enjoy meditation.

Im looking into the AYP group now. Anyone seeing this is more than welcome to contact me regarding meditation in group or if you just want contact with another AYP practitioner
Go to Top of Page

pkj

USA
158 Posts

Posted - May 28 2020 :  09:08:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anahora,

I use to think exactly the same about 8 years ago why people don't meditate as it is most important thing in life. Then I started a meditation group at my work place. it started with 2 people and then gradually it has grown to a big group. Very interesting phenomenon happened I started meeting people who were interested in meditation at different places like coffee area and just walking by. Your intention is the key. One incident I can share one time I was at an international conference and I met CEO of a company in coffee area she asked me why don't you drink coffee I told her I drink breaths while joking. She asked me about meditation as the conversation started and invited to do a session at her company. I went there and did a talk and a session for 20 minute but everybody there meditated about 40 minutes. they were very happy and relaxed after the session and wanted to continue every week. so it has grown since then.

All the best to you
Go to Top of Page

Wil

Sweden
150 Posts

Posted - Jun 23 2020 :  2:00:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for the imput in this thread!

If anyone is interested in simply talking to another AYP practitioner, if you will, contact me. For instance we can use Zoom. (See my email in my profile)

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000