Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Overload
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rod

France
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2020 :  9:55:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm looking for advice for practitioners who have hit a brick wall with their practice. I have practiced AYP method for 2-3 years with consistency. Twice daily DM, SBP, did some samyama for a while as well.

I was very much addicted to the practice and found it hard to give up but I had little choice due to some serious problems with overload. It actually took me a while to realise the practice was the problem.

My symptoms were spaceyness, unable to think clearly and logically(a big problem given I am an engineer), clumsiness(had a couple of accidents), quite a few close calls whilst driving, major problems socially and anxiety as well.

I haven't practiced properly for 6 months now and things have improved. My main issue was my ability to do my job was quite badly hampered. I still don't feel I am able to operate at the same level as I used to but I'm just about getting away with it. If I sit for 5 mins just doing breathing meditation I experience the above symptoms for the day so I can't really practice any longer. I still have a strong desire to practice but the AYP method is definitely on hold for now. Major overload with ayam. When I am in overload I generally feel like there is too much energy in my head.

I've since read a lot about grounding and found running and lifting weights to be excellent for me. My main motivation was to hopefully ground enough to allow some meditation time each day but seems like it is still too soon.

The AYP method encourages not too worry too much about what is going on 'under the hood' but in my case, to fix the issues i'm having, a deeper understanding of what is causing my problems is needed I think. I read that my lower chakras could need some work but I also read that working with the lower chakras can start to raise kundalini which is the last thing I need! Very confusing.

I have read a surprising number of people on the forum have had similar problems and are probably quite a bit further down the path by now since they first had issues. I wonder if there is anyone on the forum who can offer some other suggestions or another practice. I am already self paced down to nothing!

Thanks in advance.

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2020 :  08:22:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

It sounds as if you did not realise that you needed to self-pace your practice, and charged ahead to fast. When that happens, it can take a while to get back on track.

You have done the right thing by self-pacing to zero for a while. Staying grounded is important. Some people find that running actually stimulates the prana in the body, making it take longer to come to a balanced state, so keep an eye on that.

Trying to bring things into balance by working on specific chakras, can have undesired effects. You are right that activating the lower chakras deliberately can stimulate kundalini, especially when someone is sensitive. So, it is not advisable to go down that route. In terms of spiritual practices, service to others (karma yoga) can be both grounding and beneficial in your situation. Some light alternate nostril breathing may also help to bring things into balance.

Gradually things will stabilize, although it could take time, so be patient.

You may find these lessons useful:

Lesson 81 - Charging Ahead Too Fast?

Lesson 69 - Kundalini Symptoms, Imbalances and Remedies

Lesson 367 - Suggestions for Over-Sensitive Meditators

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Rod

France
8 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2020 :  10:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Christi,

Thanks a lot for coming back to me. Really appreciated!

Yes I would say that me charging ahead too fast is probably a fair assessment of the situation although I don't actually recall much info or warnings about some of my personal symptoms. That said, I guess when we first get into the practices most of us are looking for benefits instead of drawbacks! I suspect the warnings are there but perhaps I just did not want to see them.

I thought it was strange that I have found a love for running in the last month or so. It has felt very good and I have always hated it! Now I know why - looks like this now probably also counts as a spiritual practice. Guess I will have to give that up as well for the time being.(Ouch)

I was thinking I will give it a year or so before I try to practice again. Do you think this is a reasonable time scale or is it likely to take longer.(Probably a tough question but based on others that you have come across in the same predicament).

Cheers Christi!
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2020 :  06:52:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Rod,

With effective self-pacing and grounding, things can become stable quite quickly. It all depends on your unique matrix of obstructions and on how far beyond the envelope you went before you realised that you needed to cut back.

It could be just a few weeks, or months, before you can begin practices again. You would want to start out gradually and build up slowly, self-pacing as necessary.

Kundalini symptoms are actually quite numerous, so it is difficult to list them all. In the lessons, the most common ones are discussed. The ones you are experiencing are more related to the crown chakra and the manipura chakra. Spaciness and the feeling of not being able to focus/ concentrate, are related to the crown chakra activating too soon. The feelings of anxiety can be related to the manipura chakra opening. So good things are happening, just a bit too fast.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2020 :  5:30:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi rod even just sitting for a few moments embeds the idea of Sadhana ,practice is not necessarily about being able to enter into the stream of conciousness at times just the effort is enough to recognise transcendence and glance at it rather that full immersion ,we are drawn to full on exsperience of this other realm and yet we live in many simultaneously ,dreaming ,sleeping ,waking ,practice opens all three like a fork with its prongs the handle of which we rely on to hold all three states in a coherent stability which we call life ,just a nod sometimes to our desire sitting and searching can be a reward In itself ,the feeling of stopping altogether is something we all face ,it becomes mundane not necessary or something we just don't like doing the trick is to acknowledge this but still make space for some attention time ,it took me few moments to realise when I was boy to realise one and one is two this was after I realised what counting is ,this for me is like practice a moment to become but each moment being eternal yet momentary you may achieve more by one minute of sitting rather than an eternity trying to sit for eternity if that makes sense ,embed the habit ,ritual whatever it is you do the less ornaments the better many rocks many rivers .
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2193 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2020 :  8:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Hi rod even just sitting for a few moments embeds the idea of Sadhana ,practice is not necessarily about being able to enter into the stream of conciousness at times just the effort is enough to recognise transcendence and glance at it rather that full immersion ,we are drawn to full on exsperience of this other realm and yet we live in many simultaneously ,dreaming ,sleeping ,waking

This is a good observation. Obviously much is to be had in a full daily practice, but “checking in” for a moment or two also has its fruits, for the stable practitioner as well as the over-sensitive. In moments of waiting, or rest, or in the midst of a routine, to gently rest attention on/along the shushumna can be as refreshing as a breath mint.
Go to Top of Page

dietarydongguan

USA
22 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2020 :  07:28:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I had this same condition before and I also chose running as my remedy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000