Enlightenment Milestones
 Complete Stillness
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

julia1312

Germany
1 Posts

Posted - Mar 13 2019 :  10:31:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Recently I`m experiencing long periods of complete stillness in my mind, without any thoughts. Even though it feels very peaceful after awhile i find myself missing thinking/the commenting voice in my head, as if i just lost a part of me. I start to actively think something so as to make it come back, but it does not and the stillness remains. I don`t really know what to make of this.
Has anyone had any experiences regarding this?

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2019 :  07:01:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Stillness in the mind, with periods of no thoughts, is normal. As you describe, there is some discomfort associated with falling away of the habit of continuous thinking. We are so used with the mind working continuously that sometimes we do not know what to do if it stops - the same way we might get so used to working all the time that we forget how to rest.

See if you can relax in the state of no-mind. The mind is there, ready to go active if needed. However, if there is no real task, the mind can rest, and another layer of your being revels itself, a profound silence. Allow it to deepen, embody it, open to it - see what happens. This is not an end, but a gate to another way of being.
Go to Top of Page

jean

Germany
107 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2019 :  3:59:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes this is also my experience.
2 or 3 years ago what I would call the "self-referential narrator" disappeared and with it about 90 percent of the usual thought activity dropped away.
This is when a deeper meditation can begin
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2019 :  10:47:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome to the AYP forum, Julia

Sounds like good progress. Things will probably stabilise a bit further.

The mind is still there, don't you worry Else who would be doing the missing? It will catch up with the new state of affairs by and by.

Enjoy your practice

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Mar 21 2019 10:47:41 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000