Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 Improving Daily Practice
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

afonsolfm

Portugal
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 16 2018 :  10:45:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste,

For almost 2 years, I have been practicing daily meditation. For 20 or 30 minutes, remaining in a thought-free state, rooted in "I am" (sense of self). This had been working greatly.

Last week or so, I decided to finally invest more in my daily practices.
Now my routine is as followed:

-----------------------
Morning Session (11am)
Afternoon Session (4pm)
Night Session (10pm)

Posture: Siddhasana
Session:
Spinal Breathing Pranayama (10 minutes)
Meditation (30 minutes)
-----------------------

I've kept this routine for 9 days already. It feels solid. Occasionally I do 60 minute sessions. I'm on summer holidays, so I have a lot of free time.

I would appreciate some feedback and other practices I could add to my routine.

Edited by - afonsolfm on Aug 16 2018 10:49:29 AM

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2018 :  02:59:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi afonsolfm,

Your bhakti is very touching

Regarding your other posts, I would not add more to your schedule at the moment. I would even say you do too much at the moment, and maybe already for a long time. It is not about how much can we practice, it is how do we feel in daily life, let that be your guide. If you are feeling un-happy, irritable, fatigue, fuzzy, this is a sign that you are doing too much. Self-pace is needed, grounding.

If you have a lot of free time at the moment, it might be a good time to read the lessons written by Yogani. You will receive many insights in this journey by reading and re-reading the lessons. If you are in nature, go out and take long walks, while looking around to the beauty. Nature is healing and grounding, this is a very important part of practice.

Enjoy your holidays

Edit: Lessons

Edited by - Charliedog on Aug 17 2018 03:27:00 AM
Go to Top of Page

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1532 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2018 :  03:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Alfonso

Me again.

You are doing way too much. Less is more in these matters and it often takes some time (weeks /months) before you hit a wall and cannot practice anymore because you have been over-doing. Negative effects from over-doing practices may not become apparent immediately but rear its ugly head down the line. And you don't want that!!!

Please twice a day - 10 mins SBP + 20 mins DM + 10 mins Rest is more than sufficient to start with in AYP. Over time (months /years) you can add other advanced AYP techniques to promote more purification but not time. It is only in retreat circumstances that we practice 3x a day.

Helpfully yours,

Sey

Go to Top of Page

afonsolfm

Portugal
12 Posts

Posted - Aug 17 2018 :  04:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by SeySorciere

Dear Alfonso

Me again.

You are doing way too much. Less is more in these matters and it often takes some time (weeks /months) before you hit a wall and cannot practice anymore because you have been over-doing. Negative effects from over-doing practices may not become apparent immediately but rear its ugly head down the line. And you don't want that!!!

Please twice a day - 10 mins SBP + 20 mins DM + 10 mins Rest is more than sufficient to start with in AYP. Over time (months /years) you can add other advanced AYP techniques to promote more purification but not time. It is only in retreat circumstances that we practice 3x a day.

Helpfully yours,

Sey

I really feel I needed this. What's the worst it can happen? Summer holidays is the best time to test new routines. Wouldn't it be ok if I tried this for 2 weeks and see how I feel after?

I'm falling into the void and it's beautiful and scary

Edited by - afonsolfm on Aug 17 2018 04:50:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2018 :  4:34:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Reconstruction after falling apart can sometimes be the hardest part ,be gentle ,kicking up dust is just for you

Edited by - kumar ul islam on Aug 21 2018 4:44:01 PM
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2018 :  07:27:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Extra during summer holidays is fine. When you go back to the daily routine, twice a day should be more than sufficient. Reading AYP lessons again is also an excellent suggestion. If you want you can give samyama also a try.

All the best
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2018 :  07:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by afonsolfm
What's the worst it can happen?

The consequences of over-practising range from mild to severe and in some cases debilitating, depending on the intensity and length of the abuse.

Reading another post you have written on this forum, it appears you have been overdoing practices for a long time. So I would advise you not to take the self-pacing warnings lightly. The consequences can be very serious.

I am copying a fragment of your other post in here to put your question in perspective, and for others to see, so that they can advise you accordingly.

quote:
Originally posted by afonsolfm
I'm aware of a chronic tension in my abdomen, stomach and spine. I tell myself that this will eventually dissolve, like all my previous tensions and pain. But somehow, the abdomen has been showing huge and persistent tension for the last year. Every day, since the moment I wake up, there's a knife in my gut and it's there 24/7.

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Sep 02 2018 :  08:12:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And some feedback on the routine you described in your opening post.

Adding a third yoga session before bedtime is not recommended. Read lesson 193 - Extending Practice Time Safely

Any additions to your practice should be done in small increments, allowing plenty of time for an addition to bed in, before considering adding more.

Take care
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000