AYP Home | Main Lessons | Tantra Lessons | AYP Plus | Retreats | AYP Books
Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Jnana Yoga/Self-Inquiry - Advaita (Non-Duality)
 Help with self inquiry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

microcosm

102 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2017 :  12:32:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I get that I am not any object in my awareness. I try to observe the observer or observe the observing process but I only see how my awareness does something (noticing objects or searching for its source).

How should I practice?

Kentox

India
61 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2017 :  1:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
first of all don't make it difficult for yourself with filling yourself with grand idea of knowing what you are doing. Start from exploring what is awareness. Ask the question to yourself, search for it...what is awareness? how do I bring it in yourself? how do I cultivate it? These basic questions should burn you until a answer from inside comes.

don't fall into entrapment of observing the observer or observe the observing process, mind can fool you just like that in million ways. Even if that ACTUALLY happens, you really wouldn't know at first because you'll be endlessly confused about what just happened.

the goal is to create a distance, hence to do that the simple Kriya of chanting "I am not the mind, I am not the body" is enough. Say it yourself with feeling 108 times a day, or perhaps record it and listen to yourself on a loop.

also, improving your body in such a way that it is not jerky is of paramount importance too, do a bit of stretching It is going to come really handy sooner or later. Hatha Yoga is there for a very good reason.

Basic idea is not to fall into inceptions and complexities which are hard to organize, comprehend and follow through with. Keep it simple, keep it easy.

When we say be the witness, it means to have a distance from your mind and body in such a manner that you are not easily attached to anything and can move through life without friction. By having a distance in your mind and body, suffering ends and you become more capable to live life. The idea is to distance yourself from identification from your mind and body. The less identified you are, the less fearful and anxious you become as a result and the more joyful you become because there simply is no suffering. This concept is very simple, I don't get how people make it such a inception, all you need is distance and lesser identification not inception.

most simplest of buddhist practices of noticing sensations within the body is perfect for you if you like doing that. just simply pay attention to sensations happening within body, do not act even it itches simply observe and become one with process and you'll get there. You'll end up even forgetting where you are what you are when you get deeply involved. It is simple but it works wonders, all you need is patience in the beginning.
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2017 :  08:37:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What are your daily practices, and are they AYP or otherwise?
Go to Top of Page

microcosm

102 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2017 :  12:03:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My daily practice is vipassana.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2017 :  07:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I get that I am not any object in my awareness. I try to observe the observer or observe the observing process but I only see how my awareness does something (noticing objects or searching for its source).

How should I practice?

Hi Microcosm,

Your practice is fine. You will notice that as you practice, the things that arise and pass away in your awareness are objects, and that they are not who you are, or what you are. This will lead to a gradual disidentification with the objects of awareness.

This is the beginning of the process of viveka, or the discrimination between what is real and what is not real. As this process develops, we will find that we are spending less time discriminating between what is real and what is not real, and more time simply resting with that which is real. This is Vairagya and is associated with joy, bliss and freedom. From vairagya, the stage of unity, or yoga, arises naturally and spontaneously.

You may find this lesson useful :

Lesson 350 - Practices for Moving Beyond the Witness Stage

You may also find Yogani's book on Self-inquiry helpful.

Remember that the usefulness of self-inquiry depends to a large extent on the level of inner silence that is present in the mind. When there is a strong presence of stillness and silence present, self-inquiry practice will be useful to do. Before then, it can be confusing, or a distraction on the path, as it will simply be the mind creating more mind. If your self inquiry practice is not leading to increased joy and clarity in your life, but only to more confusion, then that would be a sign back off for a while and concentrate on cultivating stillness and silence through meditation.

Christi
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000