Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Forum FAQ | Search
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 AYPsite.org Forum
 Member Announcements - Events, Classes & Retreats
 Does Yogani come to a retreat 'in spirit'?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  02:43:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Moderator note: This discussion has been split off from here

quote:
Thank you, Yogani!

I expect you to manifest out of thin air midway through. A couple weeks of anticipation should be sufficient for us to get primed for your arrival, then you can take us down the home stretch in spectacular fashion!

A question (for you if Yogani himself doesn't answer):

When does Yogani come to retreats/TTs?
I was once on a retreat held by Christi (end of 2013), and (other than for food) it was a complete dissapointment for me.
Needless to say, Yogani didn't come. My dissapointment came from my (obviously false) idea, that he always comes to retreats.
I got some interesting ideas on how to cook, as the food was pretty good, but other than that - it was pretty unexceptional. Were it not that I took another day to stay in London and to look around, it would have been a complete waste of time and money for on my side.
So, is Yogani's visit something we need to ask for in some way, like you just did, or what is the deal?

Edited by - Mykal K on May 08 2017 07:34:06 AM

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  04:14:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I was purely joking, Mykal. It's my childish sarcasm, if you know what I mean.

Sometimes you have to read in between the lines a little bit to see the hidden meaning in things. Everything is not always exactly as it seems. There are layers, symbols, metaphors, mirages, humors, twists and turns.

I'm glad you enjoyed the food! I'm looking forward to a vegetarian cuisine, which will be mostly new for me, and I suspect, quite purifying.

Yogani is perfect in maintaining his anonymity, as I am perfect in maintaining my playfulness. You are also perfect in your discontent. May your discontent find the heart of its yearning, which is surely within as much as without, as I'm sure you're discovering.

Yogani's absence heightens my intrigue, which fuels my bhakti, which refines my practices, which enriches my life, which makes everyday a kind of spiritual adventure, like Secrets of Wilder.

Godspeed!
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  04:19:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
P.S. Maybe you were joking along with me? It's hard to tell. That's the thing about writing on the forum--we can't perceive other's facial expressions, mannerisms, tones of voice, and so forth, so things can get lost in translation. Anyway, wishing you the best!
Go to Top of Page

Mykal K

Germany
266 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  06:43:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mykal K's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Bodhi,

I didn't mean that he would physically come.
Rather, that the depth of silence or however you want to call it, would be present. Or at least something, if not that.
Thanks for the wishes, wishing you and all the teachers to be all the best!
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1505 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  09:05:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Mykal K

Rather, that the depth of silence or however you want to call it, would be present. Or at least something, if not that.

Hi Mykal,

If I may, Yogani's support and connection is always in Stillness, as he mentions. It is felt here all the time.

Edited by - sunyata on Apr 20 2017 09:10:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  1:40:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Mykal K

Oh! Perfect.

One time I had a dream I was talking to Yogani on the telephone, and it was incredibly lucid. The thing was: he wasn't speaking words. It was just pure silence coming through the end of the receiver, but I knew it was him. One of the best dreams I've ever had, hands down. True story.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4364 Posts

Posted - Apr 20 2017 :  6:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

When does Yogani come to retreats/TTs?
I was once on a retreat held by Christi (end of 2013), and (other than for food) it was a complete dissapointment for me.
Needless to say, Yogani didn't come. My dissapointment came from my (obviously false) idea, that he always comes to retreats.
I got some interesting ideas on how to cook, as the food was pretty good, but other than that - it was pretty unexceptional.

quote:

I didn't mean that he would physically come.

Hi Mykal,

Sorry to hear that your retreat experience was not what you had hoped for.

It is not often that people travel to England, expecting to feel the presence of someone who lives in the USA. I have not experienced anyone doing that before, so it is quite surprising to hear!

It is certainly possible to do, but it is not easy and usually only happens at advanced stages of the path. Simply believing that it will happen, is not often enough to make it happen. It requires a high level of purity of heart and a strong foundation in inner silence to be able to do something like that. The fact that you believed that it could happen, shows that you have a high level of faith (bhakti), which is good. Having strong bhakti is useful, but it is most useful when it is guided towards spiritual practices. Then through practice, you can purify the heart and cultivate samadhi. If you do that repeatedly, eventually you will be able to feel Yogani's presence where ever you are if you want to. It will be always available, as will many other things.

But that is not something that can be done on a weekend retreat. It usually takes many years, or even decades of practice, for people to reach that stage.

It is better to think of retreats in terms of an opportunity to deepen our practice. That does not mean that retreat experiences are always what we want them to be. AYP is a powerful practice and the process of purification can bring things to the surface. When this is happening we experience the effects of the purification, which can be anything, depending on the nature of the obstructions that are being released. This can be frustrating at times, but it is a stage on the path and does not last forever.

Eventually things do settle down, and our experience becomes one of increasing and expanding joy and love.

So do persevere. It is worth putting up with the difficult times and the disappointments that may come on the way. And do be careful about building unrealistic expectations.

I also remember the food was very good on that retreat. That's thanks to the cook though, not to me.

best wishes,

Christi

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2017 :  12:39:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Christi

Then through practice, you can purify the heart and cultivate samadhi. If you do that repeatedly, eventually you will be able to feel Yogani's presence where ever you are if you want to. It will be always available, as will many other things.

Yessss. Ergo, up the dosage of inner silence. Just what the doctor ordered.
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
859 Posts

Posted - Apr 21 2017 :  08:23:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Best wishes to all involved in the first AYP TTC! Inspiring.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2017 :  10:24:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I hope you are not trying to put Yogani on a pedestal. I think (and hope) he would not like that.
The guru is in ourselves !
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2017 :  05:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

Christi,

Mykal was just being open, sharing his experience. I feel like you are belittling him with your comment about people traveling to England to feel a presence who is in America.

Hi lalow
I found Christi's observation amusing. I'm pretty sure he intended it as a joke.
Go to Top of Page

Wolfgang

Germany
470 Posts

Posted - May 02 2017 :  2:08:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Wolfgang's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

Hi Blue,

I think if someone is being honest and open, jokes aren't appropriate. It's not funny to me.

I do respect your opinion. Viewpoints are different.

I also can not see this as a joke and I can't even understand how it could be understood as a joke
@lalow: thanks for the

PS: about belittling Mykal: we would have to ask Mykal if he does feel belittled ...
... or is it only your impression of Christi's post

Edited by - Wolfgang on May 02 2017 2:12:06 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000