Discussions on AYP Deep Meditation and Samyama
 Sutras
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WhiteCrane38

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  07:49:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit WhiteCrane38's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
When the we say the sutras Yogani says "We just easily pick up the sutra very faintly and let it go into silence".

The thing is I find that the sutras keep coming back into my mind almost like my mantra is this correct? I also find that instead of really saying the sutra i have more of a feeling for the word e.g. If i say the sutra "Peace" my mind automatically takes my to a place where i have felt total peace (My local Botanic Gardens Park)and the feeling of peace envelopes my whole body, i actually feel as if i am in the park at times. Am i on the right track?

Thanks again.

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  08:30:47 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes I think you are on the right track. You have to experience more inner silence...which WILL come in time. The sutras are about picking up a faint impression, and letting it go into silence. If you stick with the meditation every day you will know this soon enough.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  08:39:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by WhiteCrane38

When the we say the sutras Yogani says "We just easily pick up the sutra very faintly and let it go into silence".

The thing is I find that the sutras keep coming back into my mind almost like my mantra is this correct? I also find that instead of really saying the sutra i have more of a feeling for the word Am i on the right track?
Thanks again.

HI That's the way I do it I used to actually mentaly say the words but once I remembered all the sutra's I found I dident actually have to think them like that, I just let the idea of the words come into my mind in the same way the mantra does and then let it go into inner silence and then the next one sort of pops into my mind all on its own. That's if I don't crash out and forget where I am he he I do that all the time

Richard

Edited by - Richard on Nov 03 2006 12:00:57 PM
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  12:39:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste to All!

When we read the Sutras, the Gitas, the Upanisads, and other works of Holy Scripture, as if recalling the memory of an ancient dream in which God spoke to us directly and personally, we then allow the Wisdom of their Divine Revelation to imprint itself upon our Consciousness. In this way, we can use these Great Spiritual Classics to remind us of our Higher Self, of our True Nature, as One with the Source of All That Is in the Great Ocean of Divine Consciousness!

Here's a link to one of my long time personal favorites:

http://www.sankaracharya.org/avadhuta_gita.php

And these for visualization tools:

http://www.tattoosymbol.com/articles/lotus-om.jpg
http://www.spaceandmotion.com/Image...indu-god.jpg

Hari OM!

Doc

Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  12:58:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste Doc!

I love the images you link, please keep 'em coming!

I've recently been reading the Avadhuta Gita translated by Sri Sri Yogiraj Lahiri Mahashay. Beautiful!

Hari Om!

Alan

Edited by - Balance on Nov 03 2006 1:11:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  1:14:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi WhiteCrane,

Check out this thread.. There have been some real good discussion here
questions on samyama This quote in particular helped me a lot
quote:
Yogani said: Yes, that is it, Weaver and Jim. The meaning is implicit in the word(s) and the "faint feeling" is for the word(s), not the meaning. Then we let it go. So, it is not that some sutras are more feeling oriented than others. The picking up of the sutra is not about the nature of the content. That is implicit. It is exactly the same procedure for all sutras. In time, operating more in inner silence becomes a habit in all of our thinking, and our thoughts in daily activity naturally become more evolutionary and powerful.

Another good thread.. Samyama, picking up word or not?
quote:
Yogani said: When we pick up a sutra in samayama the meaning is implicit in the faint feeling of the sound of it deep in the mind. We do not contemplate it during our practice, as that pulls us to the surface of the mind. The idea is to pick up the impulse of the sound of the sutra and let it go in inner silence. That is where the power comes from in samyama -- inner silence. That is where the power comes from in all we do. We just have not been accessing it directly until now. Inner silence is also where all divine love and moral conduct come from, so this practice is morally self-regulating.

"Akasha - Lightness of Air" has two components, and they should be preserved in use of the sutra. One is akasha, which actualizes the body as empty space (it is, yes?). The other is lightness which moves the body -- or at least creates the inner impulse for that, which has great inner purifying effect. It is like blowing up a balloon (step one) and then giving it a push to float through the air (step two). The sutra becomes easy with some practice -- we do it without undue delay between the two parts. It is one sutra. Like every other practice we begin in AYP, there is a clunky stage with samyama too. It will pass.

Abundance is best used in the genral sense of, well, abundance. It applies to many things, not just material wealth, though you may get that pile of gold too. But more important is the purification in the nervous system that promotes abundance of divine flow in all that is manifest everywhere. Samyama practice is both individual and cosmic, promoting the divine flow from within us -- from inner cosmic to outer cosmic. How important are levitation and piles of gold compared to that? Not very ... we treat them like scenery if and when they occur, favoring the far greater opening of outpouring divine love into the world, which comes from letting go of the sutras into inner silence, and letting go of their results too. A channel does not concern itself with the before and the after. The ecstatic bliss of becoming the channel itself is more than enough.

I hope these help....

Edited by - Shanti on Nov 03 2006 1:15:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  7:11:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello

What I meant to say was that I've been enjoying reading the Avadhuta Gita translated from Sanskrit by yoganiketan with spiritual commentary by Sri Lahiri Mahshay (Paramguru of Paramhansa Yogananda). I assume the commentary by Sri Mahashay was originally in Bengali. www.yoganiketan.net

Blessings, Alan
Go to Top of Page

Doc

USA
394 Posts

Posted - Nov 03 2006 :  7:25:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Doc's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste to All!

Thanks for the great posts and links, everyone.

Hari OM!

Doc
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000