Great article on enlightenment by Adyashanti
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  10:16:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I don't see the world in quite the concrete way you are describing Christi. With beliefs in general, you tend to get what you are looking for. That's totally fine, and you are of course entitled to them, but I would be cautious personally about applying them to others. It is a more fluid moving dynamic from my perspective and the rules that apply for some, don't apply to all and at different stages on the path, different things are needed. There is a time where the approach of defined repeated practices can work and be extremely effective, the power of consistency can be enormous. There is also a time when that form can become counter productive and in fact slow progress or cause tremendous suffering. Anyone who has experienced overload can attest to that.

With regards to progress slowing with the ending of formal sitting practices, have you ever done this personally or are you going with what you think you see in others? When you are viewing others through the lens of belief, it can certainly impact observations, just ask any scientist.

I personally haven't actively engaged in self inquiry for a few years now or done formal sitting practices in more and the result has been the opposite of what you describe. There is also a difference between a defined practice and what occurs naturally for someone in a given situation. Life will use whatever tool necessary for us to increase our awareness from my experience and lead us to what is needed when it is needed. This is not an approach for everyone had may not work well for anyone else, however, my experience has been that the relationship with life has intensified, there is no longer any ambiguity with that, so don't really relate to what you are describing.

I see the world more in terms of what we imagine it to be. Our beliefs can hold structures in place, but as they dissolve, so do our limitations.
Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4430 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2016 :  12:37:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem,

Self pacing with practices should always be applied when necessary. That goes for everyone at every stage of the path. But that does not mean that we can simply drop practices when we feel like it, and expect to make the same progress as we were doing before.

In terms of understanding the process of human spiritual awakening, we can observe many people, over time, and build up a picture of how things work. As Yogani says, we all have the same subtle neurobiology. So in terms of science, we can observe how cause and effect work over time in relation to spiritual practices. So it becomes less about belief and more about observation.

When I use the term "self-inquiry", I am using it in the broadest sense. So it would include practices such as the one you are describing, of accepting everything that arises without resistance. It is similar to another form of self inquiry, which is the practice of seeing everything as the divine. Both will lead to knowledge of the Self, if the practices are rooted in inner silence.

If what you are doing is working for you at the moment, then that is great. If you find at some point that it is not working as well as you would like, then it could be time to take up formal sitting practices again. Only you will know. And if that time comes, the practices will be there. It's always your call.

Christi

Go to Top of Page

lalow33

USA
966 Posts

Posted - Oct 12 2016 :  2:06:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Anthem,

I have a weird off topic view point. It's about yogani's post to you. He's started using the word service in posts to you. I don't know what that word means to you. ( My word is relax. Lol)
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Oct 15 2016 :  11:25:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by lalow33

Hi Anthem,

I have a weird off topic view point. It's about yogani's post to you. He's started using the word service in posts to you. I don't know what that word means to you. ( My word is relax. Lol)

Hi lalow,

I think he means service, as in service to others, being helpful or having the innate desire to help others. Best to ask him directly though.

All the best!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000