Other Systems and Alternate Approaches
 I'M/AIM (bija mantra) and I AM/AYAM
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pranar

India
53 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2016 :  11:36:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello,

Is the mantra for DM pronounced as AIM (in Sanksrit, as per the bija mantra) or AYAM in English? Noticed that AIM with the "I" as a fluid/slippery connector between A and M is hugely different in vibration/fluidity than I AM/AYAM where "Y" chops it and is more turbulent than AIM.

Thanks.

Update: Used AIM for the first time in a full sitting. MASSIVE difference - was like a shovel scooping dirt out of the upper chest and throat, thereby facilitating the flow of far more prana to the upper chakras. Always wondered why the heart-bursting joy of Shikantaza stopped after switching to I AM/AYAM, and this is likely why.

AIM also promotes healthy/steady posture (nudges to keep the spine, neck and head comfortably aligned) because prana naturally wants/has a clear passage to flow through the upper chest/throat region to the higher chakras - the head/neck/throat doesn't have to move around as was the case with the I AM/AYAM mantra.

Pronunciation: "I'm" with 'A' merged into the 'I' making it AIM as per the Sanskrit bija mantra:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wi0l8UDk1zE

Best regards.

Edited by - pranar on Jul 30 2016 07:25:22 AM

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  03:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Is the mantra for DM pronounced as AIM (in Sanksrit, as per the bija mantra) or AYAM in English? Noticed that AIM with the "I" as a fluid/slippery connector between A and M is hugely different in vibration/fluidity than I AM/AYAM where "Y" chops it and is more turbulent than AIM.

Here at AYP It's AYAM or I AM. We don't focus on meaning or spelling, we just easy favor the sound of I AM / AYAM.

Observe, but don't let analyzation become a distraction to the practice.

Enjoy your practice

Edited by - Charliedog on Jul 30 2016 03:08:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

pranar

India
53 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  03:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Charliedog,

Not referring to the meaning, but the spelling determines the sound/vibration. Read posts by AYP representatives stating that AYP's "I AM/AYAM" is based on the Sanskrit bija mantra "I'M/AIM".

The vibration and impact of the Sanskrit bija mantra "I'M/AIM" on the nervous system is significantly different from that produced by "I AM/AYAM" because of the inaccurate spelling, pronounciation and vibration.

Best regards.

Edited by - pranar on Jul 30 2016 05:47:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  04:17:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Some words of Yogani, you can read more on AYP plus;
For example, the sound of I AM is equally well represented using the spelling AYAM, which has the same pronunciation, but no known meaning in English. It may have a meaning in some other language, but it does not matter, because we are not concerned with meaning in using the mantra in the easy process of meditation. If per-chance the spelling of I AM distracts you in some way, then assign another spelling that enables you to use the sound for meditation unencumbered by meaning. Or forget spelling altogether!

Go to Top of Page

pranar

India
53 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  04:29:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Charliedog,

Again, it isn't about the meaning of I AM.

The spelling influences the mantra's sound/vibration which purifies the nervous system in a certain way.

The point being - if the nervous system is to be purified as per the Sanskrit bija mantra "I'M/AIM" (as AYP representatives suggest), pronouncing the mantra as "I AM/AYAM" wont produce the desired outcome.

Best regards.

Edited by - pranar on Jul 30 2016 05:01:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  04:49:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by pranar

Read posts by AYP representatives stating that AYP's "I AM/AYAM" is based on the Sanskrit bija mantra "I'M/AIM".

Hi pranar,

Could you provide the link to those posts so we can read well what was said?

Thanks

Edited by - Omsat on Jul 30 2016 04:52:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

pranar

India
53 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  04:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Omsat,

A reference is made here to AYAM's Sanskrit roots:

http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....PIC_ID=15546

Here's a breakdown of AIM's pronounciation:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wi0l8UDk1zE

Best regards.

Edited by - pranar on Jul 30 2016 05:25:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  06:02:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

Hi Omsat,

Hi pranar,

Thanks for providing the link so we can double check on what was posted.

In the link you provided, I did not read what you said:
quote:
Read posts by AYP representatives stating that AYP's "I AM/AYAM" is based on the Sanskrit bija mantra "I'M/AIM".

AYAM is, for what I have understood, not the equivalent of the bija AIM, but another sound AYAM. So, the pronounciation is as in English and you will indeed feel the difference if using another pronunciation.

As a matter of fact, I have not seen yogani or Christi mention anywhere that AYAM is a bija sound.

Bija sounds typically have more specific targeted effects, while the I AM (AYAM) mantra works differently and more globally in the nervous system.

Edited by - Omsat on Jul 30 2016 06:14:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  06:20:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

pranar

India
53 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  07:00:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Omsat

quote:

Hi Omsat,

Hi pranar,

Thanks for providing the link so we can double check on what was posted.

In the link you provided, I did not read what you said:
quote:

AYAM is, for what I have understood, not the equivalent of the bija AIM, but another sound AYAM. So, the pronounciation is as in English and you will indeed feel the difference if using another pronunciation.

As a matter of fact, I have not seen yogani or Christi mention anywhere that AYAM is a bija sound.

Bija sounds typically have more specific targeted effects, while the I AM (AYAM) mantra works differently and more globally in the nervous system.

Hi Omsat,

Perhaps Yogani can clarify.

Did some research on the Sanskrit word AYAM. While it is spelt that way in some places (and also given the context of a bija mantra), the pronounciation extended seems to be AIM/AIMA/AEM/AYM/EIM (all essentially the same bija mantra). These are clearly not as straightforward to pronounce as I AM, but AIM produced a significantly different experience in the upper chest/throat region (have had blocks here since starting AYP).

Best regards.

Edited by - pranar on Jul 30 2016 07:37:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  07:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi pranar,

To be more clear and re-inforce Charliedog's answer:

Using the bija sound AIM is considered a modification to the AYP baseline.

The take here is that bringing in modifications to the practice for short term altered experiences is a distraction on the path and has no benefits in the long run. Altered experiences during practice are not the measure of success. Long lasting effects in daily life are.

You can read more on changing the baseline practice here:
http://www.aypsite.org/384.html

Hope this helps clarify on your questions.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  09:26:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pranar
quote:
Perhaps Yogani can clarify.
There is really no ambiguity whatsoever about the pronunciation of the I AM mantra. In AYP Plus, there is audio clip with Yogani's own pronunciation. It is pronounced like the words "I am" in English.

quote:
Used AIM for the first time in a full sitting. MASSIVE difference - was like a shovel scooping dirt out of the upper chest and throat, thereby facilitating the flow of far more prana to the upper chakras.
If you've read the AYP lessons, you will remember that sensations felt during meditation are not at all an indicator of one mantra being better than another. These experiences are transitory and it's better not to read too much into them. It is how you feel in daily activity after using a mantra for a long period of time that tells you if a mantra works or not. The I AM mantra has been tested in that way. AIM is your own experiment.

Go to Top of Page

Christi

United Kingdom
4429 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  6:17:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pranar,

As others have already pointed out, AYAM and AIM are two different mantras, with different pronunciations. They each have a different effect on the subtle nervous system (pranamayakosha).

AYAM is used in the AYP system, but AIM is not. As you have discovered for yourself, AIM has a stronger effect on the higher centres than AYAM does. AYAM is more designed for overall purification of the body, balancing purification between the root and the ajna chakra.

For this reason, AYAM is safer for beginners, and intermediate stage practitioners.

AYP does integrate a different chakra as part of the mantra enhancement process, which is designed to work on the higher centres. This is something that is brought in later on, after initial purification has been done. See here:

Lesson 116 - Meditation - First Enhancement of Mantra

For an overall guide to how the different AYP mantras work in the nervous system see here:

Lesson 188 - Q&A – Mantra Design 101 and Third enhancement of mantra

Christi
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
867 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  8:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:

The spelling influences the mantra's sound/vibration which purifies the nervous system in a certain way.

The point being - if the nervous system is to be purified as per the Sanskrit bija mantra "I'M/AIM" (as AYP representatives suggest), pronouncing the mantra as "I AM/AYAM" wont produce the desired outcome.

Hi Pranar,

You are right: different mantras give different results. I have spent many years doing mantra meditation, so even if I do not know much about mantra theory, I can tell from practice if a mantra works or not. AYAM (or I AM, in English) works. It works wonders.

As they say, a gram of practice is worth more than a ton of theory. The great part about yoga is that one does not have to believe anything - one only needs to see for oneself.

Of course, if you are inspired to work with another mantra, you could do it. I have spent enough time wondering the vast interior spaces to enjoy now what is for me a straighter path.

Best wishes for your practice!
Go to Top of Page

pranar

India
53 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2016 :  10:35:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Blanche, Christi...Thanks for the advice.

Any suggestions on when to integrate the first mantra enhancement? It is indeed more pronounced in precisely the area I AM alone isn't digging deep enough and where AIM does - the upper chest and pit of the throat. Incidentally, this has persistently been the region below which energy flows freely post sadhana, but above which energy mostly thins out post sadhana.

PS - Experienced a premature crown opening in Jan which has stabilised for the most part - no serious energy issues for the past 4 months or so. Prana and apana clash at times which interfere with the kundalini's path but breathing in sync with the prana and apana current seems to sort that out.

Current routine - 5/6 minutes of SBP and 20 minutes of DM x 2 daily.

Best regards.

Edited by - pranar on Jul 30 2016 10:57:44 PM
Go to Top of Page

jusmail

India
491 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2016 :  12:38:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
serious energy issues for the past 4 months or so. Prana and apana clash at times which interfere with the kundalini's path but breathing in sync with the prana and apana current seems to sort that out.

When the above has become stable and/or your inner guru tells you are ready for the enhancement, you may do so
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2016 :  03:16:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pranar,

If I AM has become a stabilized practice, you can use the first enchantment. This is individual for everyone, some start with an enchantment after a few months and others will stay for years or maybe always with I AM mantra.

Speaking for myself the experience was more in months and years then in weeks.

Take your time to observe, and by this I mean the experience in your daily life activity. Self-pace stays an important factor, if you notice for instance irritably or lethargic during the day this could mean you are over-loaded, you can always take a step back then.

Read careful the lessons others above pointed out,

Wishing you the best,

Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2016 :  12:54:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pranar

I think so long as you are willing to self-pace, you will be fine. When I added my first enhancement I had to back off to IYAM again for some time before trying again. With Bhakti coaxing you on and the inner guru cautioning you and with your own obvious intellect and good sense, why not try? You will know.

If you follow the AYP system you will find lots of support here when things go right and when they don't. When I go on on a tangent and try some other system's mantra/teaching - I know I'm taking a risk. Speaking from experience. It's easy to get swept away by other seemingly alluring practices. I have learned better to not mix systems - there's enough here to keep me going for a lifetime. But that's just my humble opinion.

All the best nice to have you here.
Go to Top of Page

pranar

India
53 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2016 :  02:18:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input, Prem.

Best regards.

Edited by - pranar on Aug 01 2016 04:57:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2016 :  08:06:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Prem

If you follow the AYP system you will find lots of support here when things go right and when they don't. When I go on on a tangent and try some other system's mantra/teaching - I know I'm taking a risk. Speaking from experience. It's easy to get swept away by other seemingly alluring practices. I have learned better to not mix systems - there's enough here to keep me going for a lifetime. But that's just my humble opinion.

Go to Top of Page

sunyata

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2016 :  08:19:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi pranar,

You have received excellent advice from everyone. I have been using AYAM (I AM) for the past four years. Adding more practices does not equal faster progress.

If your inner guru is telling you to add, then it's fine. Sometimes small steps leads to faster progress with balanced openings and integration. The fruits of our practice is found in
daily living.

Enjoy your journey.
Go to Top of Page

Prem

Canada
90 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2016 :  11:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Prem's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sunyata
The fruits of our practice is found in
daily living.

Go to Top of Page

pranar

India
53 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2016 :  9:38:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks for the input folks.

Used the first enhancement in two sessions yesterday. Felt like purification was actually occuring and wasn't the smooth-sailing minor buzz from the baseline mantra.

Incredible day - filled with energy, heart and throat open and overflowing with joy, siddhis manifesting, and mind-boggling sensory perception.

Noticed a "pendulum" swinging through and purifying the sushumna through the day that the mantra set in motion. Hehe was wonderful!

Only been two months of the baseline mantra but put in hundreds of hours of Shikantaza and spinal breathing prior.

Let's see how it goes!

Thanks again.

Best regards.

Edited by - pranar on Aug 01 2016 11:39:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

Blanche

USA
867 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2016 :  09:15:07 AM  Show Profile  Visit Blanche's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pranar,

Great to hear that the mantra enhancement works for you. Other people who did mantra meditation before finding the AYP reported here in the forum that the mantra enhancement worked well for them. Years of previous practices purified your nervous system to a certain degree. Thus, you are better prepared to take advantage of the broader purification provided by the mantra enhancement. Lesson 116 gives a good explanation of the mechanism at work:

http://aypsite.org/116.html

Your perseverance in finding the right practice for you has paid off. Thank you for sharing.

Edited by - Blanche on Aug 02 2016 09:17:23 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000