Building a Daily Practice with Self-Pacing
 "Automatic" meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pranar

India
53 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2016 :  05:56:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello AYP,

We've heard Yogani talk about "automatic yoga". Have you experienced automatic meditation during non-practice hours? Let's say while relaxing, just after waking up etc?

I noticed a very fine sliver of prana flowing from the root to crown at random hours and if I let myself, slip into deep meditation automatically.

Is a constant thread of prana to the crown through the sushumna safe or is there a risk of a premature crown opening through this? It feels like a laser engraving a pattern on the interior of a helmet and I feel more "spacious" in the head. What exactly is happening?

Thanks!

Edited by - pranar on Jun 17 2016 06:28:45 AM

Christi

United Kingdom
4372 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2016 :  08:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Christi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Pranar,

As the subtle body awakens, different things will happen. Part of this process involves the activation of the sushumna nadi, and the opening of the crown chakra. This is what you are experiencing, the beginning stages of these two things.

It is nothing to be concerned about and is a natural part of the process of awakening. Even so, it is good to be engaged in spiritual practices that will give you some control over what is happening, so that you can guide the energy and keep everything balanced. Spinal Breathing Pranayama is by far the most effective practice for doing this. It is also important to be engaged in daily meditation to cultivate peace and joy, and to keep the energetic aspects of awakening in balance.

If you feel that too much prana is rising to the crown, you can use sambhavi mudra during Spinal Breathing to redirect the prana away from the crown and towards the ajna chakra which is a more stable chakra. Signs that you are getting too much energy at the crown would be things like irritability in daily life, or a feeling of having too much pressure in the head. Otherwise there is no need for concern.

Christi
Go to Top of Page

pranar

India
53 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2016 :  11:04:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Christi!

Edited by - pranar on Jun 17 2016 11:28:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Nov 11 2017 :  1:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello pranar,

I experience automatic yoga daily, including asanas and mostly the witness state/samadhi (could call that automatic meditation).

If I let it happen, my body goes automatically into postures, and the head is turning more or less. But only if I let it... This seems to be more "violent" the more pressure there is in my body, and I can direct the energy into the movements or "away from it" (thus, not letting the movements happen). I probably could name what postures my body wants to do, but honestly I don't know the names... But if I researched it, I am 99 % sure the postures would have actuall names also.

"Automatic meditation" (which I guess you could call it) happens when you loose yourself in a thought stream (Witness) or in silence (Samadhi). And yes, this happen more or less frequently in daily life for me... And I am not alone in this...

It is interesting indeed.

//colours
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2017 :  02:50:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi colours,

quote:
"Automatic meditation" (which I guess you could call it) happens when you loose yourself in a thought stream (Witness) or in silence (Samadhi). And yes, this happen more or less frequently in daily life for me... And I am not alone in this...

Witness is not loosing oneself in a thought stream. Witness is silent Awareness in which the thoughts arise. This means we are aware of the thoughts. This is an evolving process.

When we are lost in thought streams, we are not aware.

When the Witness dawns, we are perceiving the world, our thoughts and feelings as objects separate from Self. It is the beginning of relational self-inquiry, chosen or not.
See lesson 327

Enjoy your practice

Edited by - Charliedog on Nov 12 2017 03:54:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2017 :  04:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

I am not sure you are right there, actually. See this quote from another thread:

quote:
Originally posted by jusmail

quote:
Originally posted by colours

Hello jusmail. After reading your post, and then my first post in this thread I had a flash of understanding... I think I have misinterpreted what the witness really is... maybe. When you get lost in a thought stream, it is awareness WITH objects, thus witnessing, but when you get lost in awareness WITHOUT objects (thoughts) you are in Samadhi... so I am not in the witness state just because I mentally witness my thoughts... Aaaah. Is this correct?

Yes, you are right there. This thread might help clarify things even more.
http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....OPIC_ID=2639

https://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic...&whichpage=1

I understand it from reading what Yogani write, that every time we loose ourselves in a thoughtstream we touch Samadhi... And
Samadhi with objects are Witness (as he tells us in his book)... Thus loosing oneself in thoughts are Samadhi with and without objects. Makes sense to me at least :p
Are sure this is wrong? If so, please explain how, with maybe some quotes from Yogani or other trustworthy source

//colours
Go to Top of Page

colours

Sweden
108 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2017 :  04:54:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
(I have read the lesson you link to not long ago, and can't remember anything verifying what you speak of, but if so, please quote it here in the thread )

Thanks.

Edited by - colours on Nov 12 2017 05:54:18 AM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2017 :  06:23:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi colours,

Sorry for the confusing. I do not want to make it difficult but there is a difference between samadhi and witnessing. Following the link you provided above I noticed this answer from Christi:

quote:
Hi Colours,

The difference between simply "thinking" and "witnessing a thought" is that when we are witnessing, there is no identification.

Witnessing is not necessarily samadhi though. Samadhi is when we become established in silence and know ourselves to be that silence. Samadhi can occur with thoughts and objects present (savikalpa samadhi) or with no thoughts, or objects present (nirvikalpa samadhi).

It is very difficult to imagine what samadhi is like if it is has not been experienced, but once it is experienced, then we know what it is. The same is true for inner silence and the witness.

Christi

from lesson 327
As the witness becomes more and more abiding and quietly observing every thought and feeling, we come to know ourselves asThat, unshaken and independent of all of our experiences, including our own thoughts then we are finally in the position to make choices that will unwind the habitual identification with experiences and the dream we have been in up until now.

I hope this is clear enough

Edited by - Charliedog on Nov 12 2017 06:31:05 AM
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1730 Posts

Posted - Nov 12 2017 :  06:50:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lesson 157 might help you too, Colours.

Yogani describes inner silence like this:
quote:
It starts as some inner peace and an awareness of a silent quality coexisting with and within the objects of our perception. This happens with external observations through the senses, and with our thoughts and feelings too. We see them as the objects that they are, occurring external to our unconditioned inner silent awareness. With daily yoga practices, inner silence grows and becomes the movie screen upon which all our experiences are projected. We become the movie screen -- the infinite movie screen of life.

When you say that you "lose yourself in a thought stream", that implies that you forget the "screen" on which the thought is projecting. You are then identified with that thought, which is the opposite of inner silence.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Nov 12 2017 06:56:37 AM
Go to Top of Page

Souli

Austria
1 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2018 :  09:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
During the day I have a few moments when I'd space out completely if I don't take control over my body. I'm dealing with automatic yoga / spontaneous kriyas since the begining of my Yoga practice. As soon as I let the control of the body slip something else takes over. Then I just observe the changes / what is happening which is more or less my main "practice".

There are times during the day when "Silence" just happens to emerge out of nowhere. If possible I'll then just take a few minutes off and enjoy this invitation for a meditation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.07 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000