It is not you who suffers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

YogaIsLife

641 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2008 :  4:38:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit YogaIsLife's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
"Why do you talk of action? Are you acting ever? Some unknown power acts and you imagine that you are acting. You are merely watching what happens, without being able to influence it in any way."

And how about when we do something and it feels wrong? And then we do something else and it feels right? There must be a degree of free will in there. I might eat chocolate all the time only to find out that it makes me sick afterwards and still, knowing that, I eat it. After suffering for a while I realise I won't eat chocolate anymore because it makes me sick. Then, paradoxically, I am free and feel happier than ever, because I am doing what feels right for me. But who decided what feels right for me in the first place? In any case, I always have the choice to do or not to do. Of course you can argue that the less you do, the better you will be, the less here being the less interefering with what the heart wants deep inside you. But the fact that you can interfere (call it the mind or wahtever) means that you are choosing. And the trick is to know and be well connected to what your heart really wants, which is the tricky part. Otherwise we would all be blissful and happy all the time, which is what we want. The fact that many of us don't have it means we have "free will". Or at least it seems we do, but at the end the higher power always wins, right? May it be for the best.
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Mar 10 2009 :  3:46:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"There is no need of a way out [of the dream]! Don't you see that a way out is also a part of the dream? All you have to do is see the dream as dream. The very idea of going beyond the dream is illusory. Why go anywhere? Just realize that you are dreaming a dream you call the world, and stop looking for ways out. The problem is not the dream. Your problem is that you like one part of your dream and not another. Love all, or none of it, and stop complaining. When you have seen the dream as a dream, you have done all that needs be done."

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  09:27:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Haha, I got this one as "The quote of the day":

quote:
Unless you make tremendous efforts, you will not be convinced that effort will take you nowhere. The self is so self-confident that unless it is totally discouraged it will not give up. Mere verbal conviction is not enough. Hard facts alone can show the absolute nothingness of the self-image.

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj

I realize this is what I've been spending so much time with during these years on the journey...
Go to Top of Page

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2009 :  3:07:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Beloved friends

Thank you for this thread.

It is beautiful to see Nisargadatta honoured here by so many. He is my constant companion for decades. I read his texts every day, I do japa on his name constantly, I worship his image and presence as Siva. He is my ishta-guru, my heart, my Self. His teaching is true, sound as a bell, he asked for nothing from anyone except their sincerity and courage.

Namo Nisargadatta Maharaj
Aum namah Sivaya
Tat tvam asi
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  1:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by chinna

Beloved friends

Thank you for this thread.

It is beautiful to see Nisargadatta honoured here by so many. He is my constant companion for decades. I read his texts every day, I do japa on his name constantly, I worship his image and presence as Siva. He is my ishta-guru, my heart, my Self. His teaching is true, sound as a bell, he asked for nothing from anyone except their sincerity and courage.

Namo Nisargadatta Maharaj
Aum namah Sivaya
Tat tvam asi

Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - May 02 2009 :  1:04:02 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
[If you are still dreaming] it is because you have not really understood that you are dreaming. This is the essence of bondage - the mixing of the real with the unreal. In your present state, only the sense "I am" refers to reality; the "what" and the "how I am" are illusions imposed by destiny, or accident.

- Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Go to Top of Page

chinna

United Kingdom
241 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  12:32:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit chinna's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
'Freedom is the surrender of all self-concern. It cannot be done. It happens when you realise your true nature.'

This is the quotation from Nisargadatta Maharaj which, more than any other, has lit my path.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - May 03 2009 :  1:23:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"If you are dreaming you are in a desert dying for a drop of water,it will not help having a glass of water beside your bed...unless you wake up"

The same "author"
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  2:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
A one hour video on Da Man! Go to "free audio/video" and "Awaken to the eternal"
http://www.theeternalstate.org/

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing
Love is knowing I am everything
and between the two my life moves"
Go to Top of Page

CarsonZi

Canada
3189 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  3:42:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit CarsonZi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow.....My forehead is BURNING from watching this video....and I'm not even finished yet! This is my first real exposure to Nisargadatta...thank you.

Love,
Carson
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5201 Posts

Posted - May 04 2009 :  3:46:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by emc

A one hour video on Da Man! Go to "free audio/video" and "Awaken to the eternal"
http://www.theeternalstate.org/

"Wisdom is knowing I am nothing
Love is knowing I am everything
and between the two my life moves"

Hi emc and All:

This video on the life and teachings of Nisargadatta Maharaj is excellent, and I highly recommend it. It ties in with many things we have been discussing in AYP over the years, and is very compatible.

Thanks so much for sharing it.

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 05 2009 :  10:13:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow!!
Thanks emc.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - May 25 2009 :  2:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The video is EXCELLENT.Thank you very much.
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - May 31 2009 :  3:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The world of mind and matter, of names and shapes, continues, but it does not matter to me at all. It is like having a shadow. It is there, following me wherever I go, but not hindering me in any way. It remains a world of experiences, but not of names and forms related to me by desires and fears. The experiences are qualitiless, pure experiences, if I may say so. I call them experiences for the lack of a better word. They are like the waves on the surface of the ocean, the ever-present, but not affecting its peaceful power.

- Nisargadatta
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2009 :  12:44:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You are the Supreme Reality beyond the world and its creator, beyond consciousness and its witness, beyond all assertions and denials.

- Nisargadatta
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 01 2009 :  10:29:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
When the mind has been put to rest and disturbs no longer the inner space (chidakash), the body acquires a new meaning and its transformation becomes both necessary and possible.

- Nisargadatta
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 06 2009 :  2:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Concern yourself with your mind, remove its distortions and impurities. Once you had the taste of your own self, you will find it everywhere and at all times. Therefore it is so important that you should come to it. Once you know it, you will never lose it.

In reality there is only consciousness. All life is conscious, all consciousness -alive. Even the stones are conscious and alive.

- Nisargadatta
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2009 :  09:38:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Once you realize that the world is your own projection, you are free of it. You need not free yourself of a world that does not exist, except in your own imagination! However is the picture, beautiful or ugly, you are painting it and you are not bound by it. Realize that there is nobody to force it on you, that it is due to the habit of taking the imaginary to be real. See the imaginary as imaginary and be free of fear.

There is only imagination. It has absorbed you so completely that you just cannot grasp how far from reality you have wandered. No doubt imagination is richly creative. Universe upon universe are built on it. Yet they are all in space and time, past and future, which just don't exist.

There can be no continuity in existence. Continuity implies identity in past, present and future. No such identity is possible, for the very means of identification fluctuate and change. Continuity, permanency, these are illusions created by memory, mere mental projections of a pattern where no pattern can be.

- Nisargadatta
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Oct 04 2009 :  2:47:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The world does not yield to changing. By its very nature it is painful and transient. See it as it is and divest yourself of all desire and fear. When the world does not hold and bind you, it becomes an abode of joy and beauty. You can be happy in the world only when you are free of it.

When somebody dies, nothing happens. Something becomes nothing. Nothing was, nothing remains.

It is the changing that dies. The immutable neither lives nor dies; it is the timeless witness of life and death. You cannot call it dead, for it is aware. Nor can you call it alive, for it does not change.

-Nisargadatta

Edited by - Balance on Oct 04 2009 3:05:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

emc

2072 Posts

Posted - Dec 11 2009 :  3:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is not what you do, but what you stop doing that matters.

Sri Nisargadatta Maharaj
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000