Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Using Samyama before you are ready
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LordBuzzKill

Canada
171 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  03:07:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I would like to know the effects of using Samyama before you are ready and what could happen to you.

The reason I ask is because after reading what Samyama is and how it works. I have been doing a version of it automatically for well over a decade and that is how before I had my Siddhis become active. Which makes me wonder now, what if any positive and negative effects it would have on me or on other people.

Long story short, Long before I have ever learned of AYP, I used Samyama in a positive and negative ways, to help myself and to hurt people, without a clue as to what I was doing. I would get lost in the positive or negative thoughts for days, weeks, or months at a time. And then things happened good and bad.

AYP helped me let go, I became a lot more relaxed and kinder person. What bugs me now, how could this be effecting me now or maybe later in life where it could come back and bite me in the ass?

In fact I am still doing it even now, without realizing it. hmmmm... It's just the way I have always thought about things. I think about it, let it go, and come back to it, over and over for days, weeks and months at a time. In fact I believe that is how one of my resent events happened, through Samyama with me realizing that I wanted to be a better person and just how badly I had treated people in my life. My relationships have improved because of this, because I am aware of it now and have changed my behavior for the better. What I would do is focus on being a better person, then I would let it go and keep on coming back to it. It would give me this amazing feeling, and I just kept on doing it. Until a light went off and I saw a way to be a better person and everything changed on that day at the end of June. Then I started my "Massive change in the mind and spirit" Post.

Thank you all for your continued help and support on this wild ride of mine.

Edited by - LordBuzzKill on Sep 03 2015 03:17:10 AM

Apkallu

France
108 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  05:16:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,

Well, to my knowing, there is a difference between what you did in the past and the Samyama practice itself.

Yogani says nothing bad can happen when doing samyama.
Because, if it works, you have thus attained a sufficient moral level not to harm others.
Please refer to lesson 150 for details.

Once again, if you harm others with your intentions/energy, my understanding is that this would not be while doing the samyama practice described by Yogani.

But I have only been doing this practice for 6 months and more advanced AYPers could help better.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  05:18:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi LBK, I asked the very same question in this forum a couple of years ago. Back then I had done only some weeks of AYP but believed to be ready for samyama.

The answer from the community was more or less: try, see and self-pace if needed.

I tried, saw - and stopped doing samyama after some weeks, and never restarted since.

It just did not felt right/comfortable - in other words it became experientially evident that it was not the right moment to add that practice.

Of course, your story may be completely different.
Go to Top of Page

LordBuzzKill

Canada
171 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  07:04:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Oh believe me I am still waiting to balance out my meditation from all that rushing ahead I did in 2013. I just want to know if there are any side effects in my situation. To be clear I am NOT doing Samyama, I saw it to be very similar to what I did in the past and had my Siddhis working. From what I can recall from so many years ago.

This is what I was talking about Yogani, I just had no idea of how to explain it to you before until I found Samyama. Yes I was reading Lesson 150. I will go and read it again.

What happens is I focus on something for a long time, I keep letting it go and keep on coming back to it, over and over. Sooner or later depending on how great the outcome I want it will take action, something small will happen very soon, something huge will take a long time. Good or bad, I had a lot of anger problems when I was younger, that is where all this Rage comes from. I do know how I got it and have been dealing with it since in a positive way. Which has reduced my anger by a lot.

So if it wasn't Samyama then what could it possibly then? I want to understand this, which might have an answer to my over-sensitivity problem and maybe others I am not aware of.

Fine mess I got myself into in 2013..... Still dealing with it, oh what fun.

Edited by - LordBuzzKill on Sep 03 2015 07:25:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Purohit

India
43 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  08:46:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Isnt everything in life already samyama ?

Everything in our lives corresponds to our habitual thought patterns/feelings ( conscious and or subconscious )which is unconscious samyama.

The difference would be in creating something consciously or unconsciously.

And when i intentionally release an outcome/feeling/goal it becomes a conscious samyama.

Might be wrong but thats my two cents.

Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  10:28:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by LordBuzzKill

I would like to know the effects of using Samyama before you are ready and what could happen to you.

Pure agony followed by certain death. Then, rebirth in a hell realm for eons of torture.

Hehehe...kidding. Sorry.

All that would happen is a little friction. Symptoms include: irritability, unpleasant fuzziness, pressure in the head or other body parts, an excess of emotional energy, or other minor imbalances. In general, nothing too major, just slight discomfort.

You will know if you overdo it. With time, wisdom and sensitivity increases, and the instinct for self-pacing refines.

Less is more. Wishing you a smooth journey.
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  10:49:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi BT, my experience was in line with your post: did not experience very bad symptoms, it was more a discomfort (head pressure and stuff like that, if I remember well).
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  11:19:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Your prior practice sounds like putting intention into laser-like focus, backed by burning desire (bhakti) sheer willpower (the home of your solar center). Samyama intention is different, a soft releasing into stabilized Inner Silence, more like a whisper than a shout. Bhakti will lead you to samyama, and the solar center is where I do my whispering. Hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

LordBuzzKill

Canada
171 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  1:47:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Wow thanks, you people sure have useful advice. In a way I do agree with Purohit.

Yes Bodhi Tree I had a lot of them issues you describe, I was very unpleasant to be around.

Hmmm maybe you are right Dogboy, You picked up right on that, that is why I asked. I like your description Laser focus, which is how I focus, I just wasn't sure if was similar enough to Samyama. I agree burning desire hotter then the sun (Bhakti) and A LOT of sheer willpower. The home of my solar center you say. Thanks.

Always learning something new, thanks everyone, I just want to get to the bottom of this.

Edited by - LordBuzzKill on Sep 03 2015 1:51:28 PM
Go to Top of Page

LordBuzzKill

Canada
171 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2015 :  5:47:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ok same questions but for Solar Centering. What are the positive and negative effects of me using it? I know it says that it can help stabilize me, or should I follow the Lesson 369 instead of solar centering?

And what about my solar centering style of focus in general? It's just the way I have been focusing on stuff I really like or don't like.... What do I do about that, it's not like a life time worth of solar centering style of thought is just going to stop in a short period of time. Or is it possible for me to shift it instead and use it in a more positive way? After all, as long as I focus on it in a positive way, so far I had a lot of amazing results. In the last few years I saw a lot of amazing changes for the better in me.

An example would be >>> I would think that I can and will be a great person, and I focus with laser beam intensity on that. With time things come to my mind as how I can achieve that and end up growing step by step. I don't do it with my Meditation, it just happens throughout the day. When I focus on something like I am going to be a better person, it does calm me down and make me more relaxed and emotionally stable. After all, my major problem is emotional baggage and not any energy problems.

Personally after reading Lessons 369, 370, and 374. I feel, that it could be possible for me to use Solar Centering in a positive way. Maybe with some good advice from people who have been using it successfully for a few years now.

Any thoughts, ideas, advice?

Edited by - LordBuzzKill on Sep 03 2015 6:03:34 PM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  09:42:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I can tell what solar centering means for me. It will bring my energy to the middle of the body, my solar feels like a radiating sun. From there I can/like radiating energy/silence into the world. Together with intention or samyama there is silence and outpouring love. It can physically become hot there. Sometimes I wake up in the night solar centering, it became automatic. I love samyama and solar centering, it brings my inner silence and love into the world. Just bring my attention there, like now while I am writing this, I feel its radiating and warmth.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  11:22:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I use solar centering everyday. Really enjoy it. For me, it is grounding and ecstatic...a good hybrid.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  2:08:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
And because of its position near the diaphragm, it's easy for me to "visualize" when air is barely passing the nostrils. Perhaps your prior problems were piqued by too strong of attention. When you are ready for solar centering and samyama, try easing into it, allow it to ripple like patting your hands on the surface of a pool.
Go to Top of Page

LordBuzzKill

Canada
171 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2015 :  4:43:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you all, I will balance out my meditation first, then go from there.

About my thinking style. I know that focusing on the positive is a good way to go. But someone like me who has a one track mind, would this still be in the area of Solar Centering without the actual centering in the physical region in the body near the heart or is this thought style ok all by itself? Just wondering how such strong repetitive thoughts can effect one.

On the topic of thoughts, is there a preferred style or process? Is there a discussion on here on thoughts and thinking styles? I know to some this may seem odd, but just because we all think does not mean we all do it in the same way. Under the hood of your car type of question or maybe the owners manual type of question.

Edited by - LordBuzzKill on Sep 04 2015 4:44:51 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000