AYPsite.org Forum
 Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 15 minutes until "death" exercise
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  11:13:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi one and all,

Here's a fun exercise to try when you are not too busy. It takes a little imagination but is very rewarding. The more you are able to completely put yourself into this and really pretend, the more you can get out of it.

It is very simple, just vividly imagine at some point in your day, that "God" spoke to you and told you that this is the last 15 minutes of your life. If you really get into it, you may even feel some fear. Go with it until the end and enjoy the last 15 minutes of your life!

Personally I like to choose my drive home and time it so that I reach home with enough time left to enjoy familiar surroundings.

Hopefully you will find this as rewarding as I did.

A

snake

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  2:26:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just scares the **** out of me!:)
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  2:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Noooo not for me either

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Kyman

530 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  2:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kyman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
It is a neat trick.

On the same note, I often try to imagine myself as just being born. Helps to jostle the habitual mind-states that modern life can promote at times.

It's all about flipping that reference point upside down. Whatever it takes to shake loose the fermented past from our mind and center it in the now of our awareness.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Sep 30 2006 :  3:20:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I love it!
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  11:02:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Anthem,

What if you get stuck in traffic?

I'd like to think that death really is the experience of meditation.

-Yoda
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  1:59:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yoda said:
What if you get stuck in traffic?

It doesn't change the exercise at all. Not in the least. In fact, metaphorically, we are always stuck in traffic in our spirits, whether or not we are in body. If you do this exercise well while stuck in traffic in body, you just might in spirit get out of being stuck in traffic....

Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  2:10:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
dude.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  2:47:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sorry! Lemme put my spectacles back on here.
Go to Top of Page

Etherfish

USA
3615 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  3:44:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Etherfish's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
But if I'm stuck in traffic, I would leave my car, take my clothes off and play in the stream beside the road. If I do too many of these, society frowns on them. . .
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2006 :  5:36:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Interesting feedback. I feel the same way David did, I really loved the exercise.

Not that it is for everyone, but for those of you who feel a lot of fear in this situation; this might present an opportunity for being with this fear, exploring/ embracing its message and finding much freedom from it. The more intense the fear, the more liberation it can yield for you. Remember it is only a thought that is making you feel the fear, which thought is it and why and more importantly is this thought true?

Of course the thought doesn't mean it is going to happen, it's the virtual reality of the mind and not actually happening so it can't really hurt you. I personally find it fun and very rewarding to explore myself this way.

Hilarious as usual Ether!

A

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000