Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Mantra vs Breath meditation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gnarlyboots

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  7:43:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
G'day,

I'm relatively new here although am already grateful for the depth of knowledge and sincerity of the practitioners around AYP, this is an brilliant source of informed support and insight into yogic practice!

I have a question relating to the comparative merits of breath meditation vs mantra.

I currently utilise breath meditation, which I do at least 30min twice a day (along with asanas and pranayama). I have tried using mantras (AYAM, Om Namah Shivaya, Om kali Ma etc), on a number of occasions, but they haven't taken me to the profound that lies beyond, like my breath practice regularly does.

I feel that mantra based meditation is widely regarded as the more potent style here, and although this has not been my experience in my limited adherence to the style, I am wondering if it is worth persevering with the mantra style meditation to replace (or perhaps compliment) my existing breath based practice.

Basically, I'm looking for the best "bang for your buck", so to speak!

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  11:00:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi gnarlyboogs, maybe the only way to find out if mantra meditation can be a good tool for you is to try it for some weeks.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2015 :  11:20:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Gnarlyboots...awesome name...

One thing to notice is that breathing is a physical activity, though there are deeper implications connected to breathing (energy and stillness). With the mantra, it's a mental activity, though there are also physical implications with that process as well. So, the door swings both ways. But, when we're considering the relationship of the body and mind to stillness, the mind is a little bit closer. That's why Deep Meditation is more potent, because DM immediately starts from a closer place.

My experience with the mantra is that there is more "dredging". So much to be dredged. Deep layers of the subconscious mind are being purified and opened. Sometimes I come out of DM, and all I can think is: WTF!? And that's why self-pacing is necessary, and why we just consider it all under the umbrella of scenery. For that reason, breath meditation is a little more mild, because the digging shovel (object to be easily favored) is closer to the surface.

Another thing to consider is that breathing is used in Spinal Breathing Pranayama as a means of sweeping through the central channel, so if a practitioner was doing SBP before a session of breath meditation, it might be a little confusing. Not that you can't do them successfully as separate practices as part of the larger routine, but there might a tendency to oscillate between using the breath to sweep the channel (SBP) and refining the breath into stillness (breath meditation). With DM, we refine the mantra into stillness regardless of what the breath is doing.

All that being said, if breath meditation is doing the trick, it's your choice to stick with it. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Follow the inner guru.

P.S. The success of the mantra meditation will not be determined in the session itself, but in the activity following the session. Since there is a lot of dredging with the mantra, you can have an internally noisy meditation, then the activity period following the session may turn out to be much more peaceful and joyful, since the noise was given the attention it needed during the session. It's a housecleaning, first and foremost.
Go to Top of Page

gnarlyboots

Australia
2 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  04:46:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ecdyonurus

I do intend to do that sometime, it's just I find it difficult to put an already effective practice on the shelf for extended period. I'm going to suck it up and give it a shot though, my curiosity is beckoning.

Bodhi

Thanks mate! It was a toss up between gnarlyboots & dirtyloafers or something When I look at your username I can’t help thinking of Patrick Swayze in Point Break, if you’ve seen it.

I see how the approach of mantra is more direct, makes total sense, the breathe feels like a slow gentle way in. I wouldn’t mind developing my practice towards a few of those WTF meditation sessions (note: grasping ).

Funny you mentioned the Spinal Breathing Pranayama getting in the way of breath meditation, because that’s actually one of the first reasons I started considering switching to mantra. Like you suggested, my internal energy gets really intense sometimes and makes it almost impossible to find the subtle sensations of my breath. so I do actually practice my pranayama completely separately from my breath meditation for that very reason.

I appreciate the replies guys.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2015 :  05:51:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by gnarlyboots

When I look at your username I can’t help thinking of Patrick Swayze in Point Break, if you’ve seen it.

It's one of my all-time favorites. Gives me chills everytime. I watch it for bhakti inspiration. They're actually releasing a re-make this year: https://youtu.be/ncvFAm4kYCo

Glad to be with you on this journey.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000