Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 tips on preventing tears/sobbing?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sn19

USA
15 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  09:01:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
It is embarrassing to admit that quite often I tear up just thinking about Yogananda (Milarepa, Ramakrishna too) or seeing a picture of him or recalling quotes from his autobiography. Prana rushes up, the body becomes rigid through the pull of chakras and tears start flowing, even at work or riding on the subway. On some occasions, like watching the movie Awake, it turned into sobbing to my dismay, it was quite embarrassing because of all the people around. I dare not go to temples, retreats, public gatherings of meditating yogis because I'm afraid that it could turn into a sob fest. Reading the stories about Anandamayi Ma or Satish and Roma are too much but it doesn't matter since sobbing cannot be seen by others at home.
Of course I've tried shifting my thoughts to something else but it is not very effective and could take an hour to regain composure.
There is "India Night" coming up in NYC on June 13th at the SRF building (haven't gone to any SRF temples in more than 10 years) but I'm petrified of going with my girlfriend who really wants to go.
I sincerely hope that you guys can offer tips on how to prepare for occasions like these, how you dealt with it in your past.

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  10:29:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi sn 19,

Well, it shows that you are a sensitive person, that's for sure. Do you have a steady practice? Practice helps you to develop inner silence, the witness.

From my own experience, I had that for a long time, every time I did my practice I was crying my tears and eyes out. There was a feeling of love and a feeling of loss at the same time. What helped me is Bhakti Yoga, I used mantra's, chanting. (next to my normal meditation and asana practice) This was before I found AYP. Chanting really opened my heart. It helped, together with the inner silence it gave me deeper insights in love, emotions and thoughts. Now there is a streaming of love but no attachment to personalize it anymore. The emotional part is gone, the deep love stayed.
Edit: Surrender to the feelings, do not push them away, they need to be seen fully en open....

Edited by - Charliedog on May 29 2015 11:36:01 AM
Go to Top of Page

Toto

Norway
20 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  11:07:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sn19

It is embarrassing to admit that quite often I tear up just thinking about Yogananda (Milarepa, Ramakrishna too) or seeing a picture of him or recalling quotes from his autobiography. Prana rushes up, the body becomes rigid through the pull of chakras and tears start flowing, even at work or riding on the subway. On some occasions, like watching the movie Awake, it turned into sobbing to my dismay, it was quite embarrassing because of all the people around. I dare not go to temples, retreats, public gatherings of meditating yogis because I'm afraid that it could turn into a sob fest. Reading the stories about Anandamayi Ma or Satish and Roma are too much but it doesn't matter since sobbing cannot be seen by others at home.
Of course I've tried shifting my thoughts to something else but it is not very effective and could take an hour to regain composure.
There is "India Night" coming up in NYC on June 13th at the SRF building (haven't gone to any SRF temples in more than 10 years) but I'm petrified of going with my girlfriend who really wants to go.
I sincerely hope that you guys can offer tips on how to prepare for occasions like these, how you dealt with it in your past.

What do this crying express. Sadnes, happiness,despair....?
Sometimes I also feel sadness inside, but I know I am not sad.
Maybe you should allow yourself to cry more?
What thoughts do you have when you cry.
Do you feel Ned for express yourself more? Do you have some problem with your throat chakra?

Edited by - Toto on May 29 2015 11:46:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Charliedog

1625 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  11:07:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Charliedog's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sn19

I dare not go to temples, retreats, public gatherings of meditating yogis because I'm afraid that it could turn into a sob fest.

In temples, yoga retreats, gatherings, you are not the only one who is sobbing. Perhaps you can see it as purification....it is what it is
Go to Top of Page

karl

United Kingdom
1812 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  11:49:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Sometimes if our life has had some emotional trauma, or even if emotional outbursts were frowned on, then the emotions can be repressed an build pressure. Any trigger can release them. It can be overwhelming, a very powerful force and often surprising and new because you have not been subject to it.

It's a phase and it will pass as you get used to the bewildering new sensation. It's just very raw at the beginning, like eating the first chilli pepper. It will settle down to a bearable level. Keep meditating, self pace and ground.
Go to Top of Page

sn19

USA
15 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  2:02:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Charliedog

Hi sn 19,

Well, it shows that you are a sensitive person, that's for sure. Do you have a steady practice? Practice helps you to develop inner silence, the witness.

From my own experience, I had that for a long time, every time I did my practice I was crying my tears and eyes out. There was a feeling of love and a feeling of loss at the same time. What helped me is Bhakti Yoga, I used mantra's, chanting. (next to my normal meditation and asana practice) This was before I found AYP. Chanting really opened my heart. It helped, together with the inner silence it gave me deeper insights in love, emotions and thoughts. Now there is a streaming of love but no attachment to personalize it anymore. The emotional part is gone, the deep love stayed.
Edit: Surrender to the feelings, do not push them away, they need to be seen fully en open....

Hi Charliedog.
sensitive - yes, unfortunately.
My practice is steady, just 1st kriya and listening to om at night before going to bed, and staying in paravastha the rest of the time.
Thanks for the tip.
Go to Top of Page

sn19

USA
15 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  2:05:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Toto

What do this crying express. Sadnes, happiness,despair....?
Sometimes I also feel sadness inside, but I know I am not sad.
Maybe you should allow yourself to cry more?
What thoughts do you have when you cry.
Do you feel Ned for express yourself more? Do you have some problem with your throat chakra?

Hi Toto.
I don't know what the crying expresses.
It is a consequence of prana rising. The same happens during meditation.
I don't know the answers to the other 2 questions.
Thanks for the suggestion.
Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  3:01:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi sn19

Yes, emotional tenderness like this can be a consequence of intensive practice.
If you want to be less sensitive before the event on June 13th, lots of grounding activities and trimming down your practice a little can help.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  5:00:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
If your girlfriend is not aware of this, she should be. She can hopefully be great support when you go (and you should go, don't let the possibility of tears keep you away). Tell her how she can help you before it happens, and when it happens, allow it to happen. What others think is of no consequence really, and may even be inspirational even though that is not your intent.

This is your lot in the process, and as others have suggested, a temporary phase, and a release you must undergo. Report back, and good luck!
Go to Top of Page

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  5:11:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
may your tears fill an ocean that we all may bathe in the bliss and love you feel .
Go to Top of Page

Toto

Norway
20 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  8:31:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by kumar ul islam

may your tears fill an ocean that we all may bathe in the bliss and love you feel .

Go to Top of Page

Toto

Norway
20 Posts

Posted - May 29 2015 :  10:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
In the movie "City of Angels", Nicolas Cage ask Meg Ryan why we wipe? Meg say something like... The motion is too strong and the body can not handle it. Then body wipe. There is so mutch beauty inside. Sometime a wind go around faster and faster. And when I connect to it I feel beauty it selves. And this beauty feel like truth it selves.
Both beauty and truth. And I wipe. So happy to feel this again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000