Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 I do not want to put myself in danger
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Curious1991

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2015 :  02:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I'm 23 years old and first started doing simple breathing meditation (focusing on my nostrils) on and off for the last 7 months. Prior to doing this I had no concept of what ego was. I was in such a negative mind state for fixating on humiliating experiences that happened in my past. As soon as I started meditating, my mental health improved.

I know nothing about yoga (or really meditation for that matter) and was pleased to find that yoga can be used to be more mindful which is how I stumbled upon Kundalini via internet searches.I was not aware of the potential negative mental and health effects of a kundalini awakening and after finding out, I am no longer interested in doing it....for now. Sorry for the long backstory, here are my questions:

1. I was going to begin purchasing the books in the enlightenment series but the only one I feel comfortable with is the first book "Deep Meditation" only. If I do not want to experience a Kundalini awakening or anything similar which book(s) is not recommended for me?

2. I understand the importance of practicing yoga with a spiritual teacher but right now I do not have the funds to do so but it is something I plan on doing in the future. Can someone please warn me of other types of yoga or meditation that I should avoid due to their potential dangers of novices practicing alone?

Thank you.

kumar ul islam

United Kingdom
791 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2015 :  05:15:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
welcome for me deep meditation is the place where it all begins cultivate this practice and the journey begins as you move forward i am sure all your questions will be answered your inner silence will guide you be gentle there are many on here who have a deep understanding and i am sure there will be many replies
Go to Top of Page

Will Power

Spain
415 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2015 :  06:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Curious1991, it's great that you have started meditation so soon. I am sorry that you are scared about Kundalini. The following is a video of an orthodox monk that I share so that you see Kundalini can happen within every tradition and it's not a bad thing, but a super good one, if one has cleaned his inner channels (sushumna specially)(they don't call it kundalini in their tradition). If not all the negative emotions stored in the chakras can come up at the same time which will cause disconfort. 2 things you should avoid: focusing for longs periods on the crown and long retentions of the breath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wOGXdLoNl2w

I consider it's good to practice Maha Mudra+Spinal breathing to clean Sushumna besides meditation. For me a complete set of practices includes asanas+pranayama+meditation. Don't fear ecstasy, fear nothing! Don't worry and allow things to happen during meditation.

When I practised on my own I didn't experienced anything bad, on the contrary. One needs to read the instructions several times and then follow them. Practices work with or without a guru, although obviously having an outer guide helps.

1) I don't know what not to recommend, but what to recommend.
About your second question, KYI focuses on the crown a lot. Kundalini yoga is out for you if you don't want kundalini.
So basically if you don't want energetic practices you have deep meditation, samatha and vipassana (the last two more gentle on the energetic system). Also Jnana Yoga when one is ready. Other types, more focus on prayer/mantra would be hesychasm and sufism.

Choose what you feel attracted to. All the best!
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2015 :  3:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Welcome, Curious

Dunno about your questions, but it sounds like you're off to a good start! I sometimes just do breath meditation with some pranayama breathing. Consistent practices are important. Easy does it.

Best!

Go to Top of Page

BlueRaincoat

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2015 :  4:04:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hello Curious

quote:
Originally posted by Curious1991
I was not aware of the potential negative mental and health effects of a kundalini awakening and after finding out, I am no longer interested in doing it....for now.

I second Will Power. Awakening Kundalini is nothing to be afraid of it done in a prudent way. You hear such dreadful stories because people rush it. Forcing a K awakening before the system is purified and ready can be very painful. Working on the crown a lot is risky for the same reason.

I think yours is a good attitude to have. We see quite a few people around this forum overly-keen to progress with their yoga and undertaking new practices before they are ready.

quote:
If I do not want to experience a Kundalini awakening or anything similar which book(s) is not recommended for me?

One thing you should know is that nobody can guarantee you your K will not awaken. It does awaken in some people who do not do any practices at all. If you practise meditation over many years, K will awaken sooner or later. It's a natural progression and it's a wonderful ecstatic experience if the system has been well prepared and purified through regular meditation.

If you want to play it very safe, then stick to meditation only. There are two meditation methods taught in AYP:
1. Mantra meditation - Lesson 13 up to Lesson 43
2. Breadth focused meditation, described towards the end of Lesson 367 - "Replacing the Mantra with Breath as the Object of Meditation"

Mantra meditation is the deeper and more powerful of the two. Breadth focused meditation is more gentle. If you want to start really slowly, practice the later, as Anima suggests.

Pay attention to the effects your meditation practice has on you (they do build up over time) and adjust the time accordingly to avoid any overload (some people need to reduce the length of their meditation sessions to less than 20 minutes per sitting).

quote:
I understand the importance of practicing yoga with a spiritual teacher

Traditionally it has been like this, but AYP departs from this idea. Yogani has put all the information you need in the AYP lessons. Provided you are sensible about self pacing (and it sounds like you are ), you do not need a teacher in the flesh. This forum can also help - you can ask any questions about the AYP method.

Good luck. I wish you a smooth journey.

Edited by - BlueRaincoat on Jan 01 2015 4:20:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Curious1991

USA
10 Posts

Posted - Jan 01 2015 :  5:56:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks everyone for your help
Go to Top of Page

Radharani

USA
843 Posts

Posted - Jan 02 2015 :  11:42:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Radharani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Curious,
welcome!
I have nothing further to add to the good advice that has already been given, namely:
1. Kundalini is a good thing and can happen at any time even without practices.
2. To prevent premature awakening, avoid practices focusing on the crown chakra and/or aggressive pranayama such as fire breathing or extended breath holding.
3. Deep meditation done for reasonable time periods (20 minutes or less) is a gentle practice unlikely to provoke K overload, especially with careful self-pacing.
Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000