Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Inconsistant yoga routine
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Crowstick

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  01:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Visit Crowstick's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi there, unfortunately I am not practicing twice daily as Yogani recommends. I go through times when I am able to practice once per day, and other times where I have gaps for two or three days before picking up a once daily practice routine again. Generally I practice once a day for a few days, and then have a day or two off again. Thus is due to work and life getting in the way. Is this routine still beneficial? I believe that it is, or I would not continue. I am just looking for other opinions. I am also worried about any potential problems my inconsistent yoga routine could cause. Does anyone else have a similar routine? What would the people with a twice daily, everyday practice routine have to say about how I practice? Many thanks.

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  02:36:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Dear Crowstick,

You are doing just fine. Do what you can. A tip would be - despite not having the time to do the twice daily sitting, it is recommended that you respect it / aknowledge it in some way. So when the time comes for your regular sitting and you find you simply do not have the time for it, just take one minute to "dip" inwards for a moment. Close your eyes, take a deep breath, dip inwards, then go on with your activities.

Sey
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  08:46:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I agree with what Sey has said...
quote:
despite not having the time to do the twice daily sitting, it is recommended that you respect it / aknowledge it in some way.

If you would like, take a look at these lessons:

http://www.aypsite.org/18.html
http://www.aypsite.org/50.html
http://www.aypsite.org/209.html

Wish you all the best!!!
Go to Top of Page

dv2014

USA
93 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  12:44:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Crowstick,

I am a beginner too and I can relate to your thoughts regarding irregular routine. The important thing I learned is not to give up, but just to keep at it. I have had 1-2 days and up to 1 week of gap many times, but key was not to punish myself or build up guilty feeling over that. Just like the instructions of the deep meditation, once you notice you are off the track, gently go back to the routine practice from that day onward ... remembering this AYP mantra analogy has given me so much peace in life. It does take time to build a new habit. All the best

Edited by - dv2014 on Oct 10 2014 12:47:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ecdyonurus

Switzerland
479 Posts

Posted - Oct 10 2014 :  1:04:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Crownstick, don't punish yourself because you did not establish the practice as you want. Maybe you simply have to reduce your practice to the amount you can sustain on a regular basis. In the AYP lessons and in many yoga teachings it is clearly stated that less is more, so it is far more effective to have 2 very short sessions a day than some irregular longer session. I can report my own experience: I reduced my practice from long daily session to just 2 short 10 minutes sessions, and feel better than ever. Before that, it was frustrating when daily activity did not allow my long sessions. Now I am able to find a time slot for a 10' session in every situation, even between two meetings if necessary! And the habit of those 2 short sits every day is established without any strain anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Crowstick

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2014 :  10:20:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Crowstick's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks to everyone who replied, great words of wisdom and service. Much love.
Go to Top of Page

Dogboy

USA
2242 Posts

Posted - Oct 13 2014 :  11:29:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I reduced my practice from long daily session to just 2 short 10 minutes sessions, and feel better than ever. Before that, it was frustrating when daily activity did not allow my long sessions. Now I am able to find a time slot for a 10' session in every situation, even between two meetings if necessary! And the habit of those 2 short sits every day is established without any strain anymore.

I agree with Sey here; it takes very little SB to fall into meditation (that's what it feels like in the body) and enough energy generated in ten minutes to satisfy at least once a day. I'm along the path far enough to fit yoga asanas into any crevice of the day. Shorter meditations allow me to drum up bliss at other times so I can play without overloading. I have an ongoing intention to forward fold for a total of five minutes a day, in chucks or all at once. These five minutes have been transformational!

My point Cowstick, is never lapse for long, keep plugging away. Once yoga is established it tends to grow legs; you will do less, get more, and none of this will feel like a chore! (Sing it aloud!)

Edited by - Dogboy on Oct 13 2014 11:39:59 AM
Go to Top of Page

Crowstick

United Kingdom
13 Posts

Posted - Oct 14 2014 :  05:00:53 AM  Show Profile  Visit Crowstick's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Dogboy

quote:
I reduced my practice from long daily session to just 2 short 10 minutes sessions, and feel better than ever. Before that, it was frustrating when daily activity did not allow my long sessions. Now I am able to find a time slot for a 10' session in every situation, even between two meetings if necessary! And the habit of those 2 short sits every day is established without any strain anymore.

I agree with Sey here; it takes very little SB to fall into meditation (that's what it feels like in the body) and enough energy generated in ten minutes to satisfy at least once a day. I'm along the path far enough to fit yoga asanas into any crevice of the day. Shorter meditations allow me to drum up bliss at other times so I can play without overloading. I have an ongoing intention to forward fold for a total of five minutes a day, in chucks or all at once. These five minutes have been transformational!

My point Cowstick, is never lapse for long, keep plugging away. Once yoga is established it tends to grow legs; you will do less, get more, and none of this will feel like a chore! (Sing it aloud!)

Okay, I will continue as much as I can and not allow myself to stop.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000