AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2005 :  6:16:12 PM  Show Profile  Get a Link to this Message
603 From: "leesalyn711@excite.com" <leesalyn711@excite.com>
Date: Tue Apr 5, 2005 8:17pm
Subject: RE: Digest Number 39 bliss_fairy711
Send Email

om and hello ayp :)

i have been an avid yoga practitioner for 7 years and vegan for almost 4 years and have noticed an incredible improvement in my practice, meditation, mood. at first it was the continued weaning from becoming vegetarian that i became lactose intolerant. the more i began to conceptionallize it, i realized this:
we are the only animal that consumes the milk of another animal,
we are the only animal that continues to consume milk after infancy,
the human body naturally begins to slow with age in its production of latase (the enzyme required to digest lactose), so the milk is slowly less digested ~ causing later problems in life.

is this not exploitation and continuing to walk blindly in face of light? just because it is tradition and carried on from time, doesn't make it right. it doesn't justify slavery. we evolve from our mistakes and realizations.

if the earth is our mother. if the sacred cow of india is our mother. who are we to rape?

blessings,
ramapriya

- Follow your bliss

--- On Tue 04/05, < AYPforum@yahoogroups.com > wrote:
To: AYPforum@yahoogroups.com
Date: 5 Apr 2005 12:21:58 -0000
Subject: [AYPforum] Digest Number 39

<br>------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> <br>What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?<br>Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!<br>http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SO...------~-> <br><br>There are 11 messages in this issue.<br><br>Topics in this digest:<br><br> 1. Re: What do you eat?<br> From: "obsidian9999" <obsidian9999@yahoo.com><br> 2. Re: What do you eat? -- Any problems with Spices, Garlic, Mushrooms?<br> From: "obsidian9999" <obsidian9999@yahoo.com><br> 3. Re: What do you eat? -- Any problems with Spices, Garlic, Mushrooms?<br> From: "azaz932001" <richardchamberlin14@hotmail.com><br> 4. Re: What do you eat? -- Any problems with Spices, Garlic, Mushrooms?<br> From: "zarembadavid" <rudra@graffiti.net><br> 5. Re: What do you eat? -- Any problems with Spices, Garlic, Mushrooms?<br> From: "obsidian9999" <obsidian9999@yahoo.com><br> 6. Re: Some Reflections<br> From: "David Fiske" <david.fiske@sympatico.ca><br> 7. Re: What do you eat? -- Any problems with Spices, Garlic, Mushrooms?<br> From: "nearoanoke" <nearoanoke@yahoo.com><br> 8. IS GARLIC TAMASIC (A challenge)<br> From: "obsidian9999" <obsidian9999@yahoo.com><br> 9. Halasana - Need help<br> From: "Greg" <trian3@charter.net><br> 10. Re: Re: What do you eat? -- Any problems with Spices, Garlic, Mushrooms?<br> From: victor yj <vic@yahoo.com><br> 11. Re: Re: What do you eat? -- Any problems with Spices, Garlic, Mushrooms?<br> From: Graeme Lloyd <graeme_lloyd@yahoo.co.uk><br><br><br>________________________________________________________________________<br>________________________________________________________________________<br><br>Message: 1 <br> Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 14:12:21 -0000<br> From: "obsidian9999" <obsidian9999@yahoo.com><br>Subject: Re: What do you eat?<br><br><br><br><br>Hello Near,<br><br>I've been an avid yoga practicioner for about twenty years (possibly <br>more if you count the spontaneous yoga of my first four years of life!) <br>and while I have learned tremendous respect for the yoga tradition, I <br>have learned to be skeptical at times because I think it is not always <br>right in its broad proscriptions or prescriptions. I think it is like <br>Western Medicine in that way, or any body of knowledge.<br><br>One particular thing is that because of Bio-individuality, the nature <br>and extent of different peoples reactions to things is different, and <br>even for a particular person, it can vary over time.<br><br>I have found no negative effect on my meditation from spicy foods. <br>Neither have I found a negative effect from the much maligned garlic, <br>onions and mushrooms.<br><br>Some people do report a downward pull to the senses from garlic in <br>particular, but it is often experienced as positive and grounding <br>rather than tamasic. I can't say I noticed much from garlic, but I am <br>extraordinalarily sensitive to certain other herbs.<br><br>I don't present these ideas to you in a trivial or offhand manner. In <br>fact, as a very young boy, I had an extreme prejudice against <br>garlic, onions and mushrooms; asking me to eat them was like asking <br>me to eat slugs! I thought they were dirty and nasty, as if I was <br>carrying over a prejudice from a past life as a yogi. But time and <br>experience has taught me that if they are negative in any way for me, <br>I cannot detect it.<br><br>In fact I have found a very strong benefit from certain mushrooms, <br>such as Reishi. By the way, I found Reishi particularly interesting <br>because, while it invigorates, it seemed to do it in a way which did <br>not diminish my mediation to any extent, and may even have empowered <br>it.<br><br>So what do yo think, Near?<br><br>-David<br><br><br>--- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "nearo
anoke" <nearoanoke@y...> wrote:<br>> <br>> <br>> Being from southern part of india, I eat lot of spicy food. I guess <br>> that can be detrimental to my practices. What is your typical diet, <br>can <br>> you please post your diets here. AYP suggests light and nutritious. <br>> <br>> Thanks,<br>> Near<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>________________________________________________________________________<br>________________________________________________________________________<br><br>Message: 2 <br> Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 15:28:55 -0000<br> From: "obsidian9999" <obsidian9999@yahoo.com><br>Subject: Re: What do you eat? -- Any problems with Spices, Garlic, Mushrooms?<br><br><br><br><br>P.S.<br><br>If any other people have found from experience that spices, garlic, <br>onions or mushrooms are detrimental to their yoga, I would be very <br>interested in hearing about their experience. Not just that guru so-<br>and-so said it please :) But real experience, if possible not <br>stimulated by prejudice.<br><br>Of course, please discount digestive problems due to excess etc. <br>I'm talking about reasonable, balanced consumption of above <br>substances.<br><br>It would be interesting to see for how many or for what fraction of <br>people this is true.....<br><br><br><br><br>--- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "obsidian9999" <obsidian9999@y...> <br>wrote:<br>> <br>> <br>> <br>> Hello Near,<br>> <br>> I've been an avid yoga practicioner for about twenty years <br>(possibly <br>> more if you count the spontaneous yoga of my first four years of <br>life!) <br>> and while I have learned tremendous respect for the yoga <br>tradition, I <br>> have learned to be skeptical at times because I think it is not <br>always <br>> right in its broad proscriptions or prescriptions. I think it is <br>like <br>> Western Medicine in that way, or any body of knowledge.<br>> <br>> One particular thing is that because of Bio-individuality, the <br>nature <br>> and extent of different peoples reactions to things is different, <br>and <br>> even for a particular person, it can vary over time.<br>> <br>> I have found no negative effect on my meditation from spicy foods. <br>> Neither have I found a negative effect from the much maligned <br>garlic, <br>> onions and mushrooms.<br>> <br>> Some people do report a downward pull to the senses from garlic in <br>> particular, but it is often experienced as positive and grounding <br>> rather than tamasic. I can't say I noticed much from garlic, but <br>I am <br>> extraordinalarily sensitive to certain other herbs.<br>> <br>> I don't present these ideas to you in a trivial or offhand manner. <br>In <br>> fact, as a very young boy, I had an extreme prejudice against <br>> garlic, onions and mushrooms; asking me to eat them was like <br>asking <br>> me to eat slugs! I thought they were dirty and nasty, as if I <br>was <br>> carrying over a prejudice from a past life as a yogi. But time and <br>> experience has taught me that if they are negative in any way for <br>me, <br>> I cannot detect it.<br>> <br>> In fact I have found a very strong benefit from certain mushrooms, <br>> such as Reishi. By the way, I found Reishi particularly <br>interesting <br>> because, while it invigorates, it seemed to do it in a way which <br>did <br>> not diminish my mediation to any extent, and may even have <br>empowered <br>> it.<br>> <br>> So what do yo think, Near?<br>> <br>> -David<br>> <br>> <br>> --- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "nearoanoke" <nearoanoke@y...> <br>wrote:<br>> > <br>> > <br>> > Being from southern part of india, I eat lot of spicy food. I <br>guess <br>> > that can be detrimental to my practices. What is your typical <br>diet, <br>> can <br>> > you please post your diets here. AYP suggests light and <br>nutritious. <br>> > <br>> > Thanks,<br>> > Near<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>________________________________________________________________________<br>________________________________________________________________________<br><br>Message: 3 <br> D
ate: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 16:06:43 -0000<br> From: "azaz932001" <richardchamberlin14@hotmail.com><br>Subject: Re: What do you eat? -- Any problems with Spices, Garlic, Mushrooms?<br><br><br><br>Hi<br> I haven't had any problems with specific foods at all. I have <br>noticed that my meditation is better the less I eat, so I suppose the <br>eat lightly advice works well for me.<br><br>Blessings R.C.<br><br>> <br>> <br>> <br>> P.S.<br>> <br>> If any other people have found from experience that spices, <br>garlic, <br>> onions or mushrooms are detrimental to their yoga, I would be very <br>> interested in hearing about their experience. Not just that guru <br>so-<br>> and-so said it please :) But real experience, if possible not <br>> stimulated by prejudice.<br>> <br>> Of course, please discount digestive problems due to excess etc. <br>> I'm talking about reasonable, balanced consumption of above <br>> substances.<br>> <br>> It would be interesting to see for how many or for what fraction of <br>> people this is true.....<br>> <br>> <br>> <br>> <br>> --- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "obsidian9999" <obsidian9999@y...> <br>> wrote:<br>> > <br>> > <br>> > <br>> > Hello Near,<br>> > <br>> > I've been an avid yoga practicioner for about twenty years <br>> (possibly <br>> > more if you count the spontaneous yoga of my first four years of <br>> life!) <br>> > and while I have learned tremendous respect for the yoga <br>> tradition, I <br>> > have learned to be skeptical at times because I think it is not <br>> always <br>> > right in its broad proscriptions or prescriptions. I think it is <br>> like <br>> > Western Medicine in that way, or any body of knowledge.<br>> > <br>> > One particular thing is that because of Bio-individuality, the <br>> nature <br>> > and extent of different peoples reactions to things is <br>different, <br>> and <br>> > even for a particular person, it can vary over time.<br>> > <br>> > I have found no negative effect on my meditation from spicy <br>foods. <br>> > Neither have I found a negative effect from the much maligned <br>> garlic, <br>> > onions and mushrooms.<br>> > <br>> > Some people do report a downward pull to the senses from garlic <br>in <br>> > particular, but it is often experienced as positive and <br>grounding <br>> > rather than tamasic. I can't say I noticed much from garlic, <br>but <br>> I am <br>> > extraordinalarily sensitive to certain other herbs.<br>> > <br>> > I don't present these ideas to you in a trivial or offhand <br>manner. <br>> In <br>> > fact, as a very young boy, I had an extreme prejudice against <br>> > garlic, onions and mushrooms; asking me to eat them was like <br>> asking <br>> > me to eat slugs! I thought they were dirty and nasty, as if I <br>> was <br>> > carrying over a prejudice from a past life as a yogi. But time <br>and <br>> > experience has taught me that if they are negative in any way for <br>> me, <br>> > I cannot detect it.<br>> > <br>> > In fact I have found a very strong benefit from certain <br>mushrooms, <br>> > such as Reishi. By the way, I found Reishi particularly <br>> interesting <br>> > because, while it invigorates, it seemed to do it in a way <br>which <br>> did <br>> > not diminish my mediation to any extent, and may even have <br>> empowered <br>> > it.<br>> > <br>> > So what do yo think, Near?<br>> > <br>> > -David<br>> > <br>> > <br>> > --- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "nearoanoke" <nearoanoke@y...> <br>> wrote:<br>> > > <br>> > > <br>> > > Being from southern part of india, I eat lot of spicy food. I <br>> guess <br>> > > that can be detrimental to my practices. What is your typical <br>> diet, <br>> > can <br>> > > you please post your diets here. AYP suggests light and <br>> nutritious. <br>> > > <br>> > > Thanks,<br>> > > Near<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>________________________________________________________________________<br>________________________________________________________________________<br><br>Message: 4 <br> Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 21:49:09 -0000<br> From: "zare
mbadavid" <rudra@graffiti.net><br>Subject: Re: What do you eat? -- Any problems with Spices, Garlic, Mushrooms?<br><br><br><br><br><br>Garlic - Toxic Shock !<br><br><br>Stop taking garlic. It kills tens of thousands of brain cells and de-<br>synchronises the left and right brains waves.<br><br>The reason garlic is so toxic, the sulphone hydroxyl ion penetrates <br>the blood-brain barrier, just like DMSO, and is a specific poison for <br>higher-life forms and brain cells. We discovered this, much to our <br>horror, when I (Bob Beck, DSc) was the world's largest manufacturer <br>of ethical EEG feedback equipment. <br>We'd have people come back from lunch that looked clinically dead on <br>an encephalograph, which we used to calibrate their progress. "Well, <br>what happened?" "Well, I went to an Italian restaurant and there was <br>some garlic in my salad dressing!" So we had them sign things that <br>they wouldn't touch garlic before classes or we were wasting their <br>time, their money and my time. <br><br>I guess some of you who are pilots or have been in flight tests...I <br>was in flight test engineering in Doc Hallan's group in the 1950's. <br>The flight surgeon would come around every month and remind all of <br>us: "Don't you dare touch any garlic 72 hours before you fly one of <br>our airplanes, because it'll double or triple your reaction time. <br>You're three times slower than you would be if you'd not had a few <br>drops of garlic." <br><br>Well, we didn't know why for 20 years later, until I owned the Alpha-<br>Metrics Corporation. We were building biofeed-back equipment and <br>found out that garlic usually desynchronises your brain waves. <br>So I funded a study at Stanford and, sure enough, they found that <br>it's a poison. You can rub a clove of garlic on your foot - and you <br>can smell it shortly later on your wrists. So it penetrates the body. <br>This is why DMSO smells a lot like garlic: that sulphone hydroxyl ion <br>penetrates all the barriers including the corpus callosum in the <br>brain. <br>Any of you who are organic gardeners know that if you don't want to <br>use DDT, garlic will kill anything in the way of insects. <br>Now, most people have heard most of their lives garlic is good for <br>you, and we put those people in the same class of ignorance as the <br>mothers who at the turn of the century would buy morphine sulphate in <br>the drugstore and give it to their babies to put them to sleep. <br>If you have any patients who have low-grade headaches or attention <br>deficit disorder, they can't quite focus on the computer in the after-<br>noon, just do an experiment - you owe it to yourselves. Take these <br>people off garlic and see how much better they get, very very <br>shortly. And then let them eat a little garlic after about three <br>weeks. They'll say "My God, I had no idea that this was the cause of <br>our problems." And this includes the de-skunked garlics, Kyolic, some <br>of the other products. <br>Very unpopular, but I've got to tell you the truth. <br><br>Source: From a lecture by Dr. Robert C Beck, DSc, given at the Whole <br>Life Expo, Seattle, WA, USA, in March 1996, Nexus Magazine. <br><br><br>http://pwsa.org/sp_garlic.htm<br...lt;br>--- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "azaz932001" <br><richardchamberlin14@h...> wrote:<br>> <br>> <br>> Hi<br>> I haven't had any problems with specific foods at all. I have <br>> noticed that my meditation is better the less I eat, so I suppose <br>the <br>> eat lightly advice works well for me.<br>> <br>> Blessings R.C.<br>> <br>> > <br>> > <br>> > <br>> > P.S.<br>> > <br>> > If any other people have found from experience that spices, <br>> garlic, <br>> > onions or mushrooms are detrimental to their yoga, I would be <br>very <br>> > interested in hearing about their experience. Not just that guru <br>> so-<br>> > and-so said it please :) But real experience, if possible not <br>> > stimulated by prejudice.<br>> > <br>> > Of course, please discount digestive problems d
ue to excess <br>etc. <br>> > I'm talking about reasonable, balanced consumption of above <br>> > substances.<br>> > <br>> > It would be interesting to see for how many or for what fraction <br>of <br>> > people this is true.....<br>> > <br>> > <br>> > <br>> > <br>> > --- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "obsidian9999" <br><obsidian9999@y...> <br>> > wrote:<br>> > > <br>> > > <br>> > > <br>> > > Hello Near,<br>> > > <br>> > > I've been an avid yoga practicioner for about twenty years <br>> > (possibly <br>> > > more if you count the spontaneous yoga of my first four years <br>of <br>> > life!) <br>> > > and while I have learned tremendous respect for the yoga <br>> > tradition, I <br>> > > have learned to be skeptical at times because I think it is not <br>> > always <br>> > > right in its broad proscriptions or prescriptions. I think it <br>is <br>> > like <br>> > > Western Medicine in that way, or any body of knowledge.<br>> > > <br>> > > One particular thing is that because of Bio-individuality, the <br>> > nature <br>> > > and extent of different peoples reactions to things is <br>> different, <br>> > and <br>> > > even for a particular person, it can vary over time.<br>> > > <br>> > > I have found no negative effect on my meditation from spicy <br>> foods. <br>> > > Neither have I found a negative effect from the much maligned <br>> > garlic, <br>> > > onions and mushrooms.<br>> > > <br>> > > Some people do report a downward pull to the senses from garlic <br>> in <br>> > > particular, but it is often experienced as positive and <br>> grounding <br>> > > rather than tamasic. I can't say I noticed much from garlic, <br>> but <br>> > I am <br>> > > extraordinalarily sensitive to certain other herbs.<br>> > > <br>> > > I don't present these ideas to you in a trivial or offhand <br>> manner. <br>> > In <br>> > > fact, as a very young boy, I had an extreme prejudice against <br>> > > garlic, onions and mushrooms; asking me to eat them was like <br>> > asking <br>> > > me to eat slugs! I thought they were dirty and nasty, as if <br>I <br>> > was <br>> > > carrying over a prejudice from a past life as a yogi. But time <br>> and <br>> > > experience has taught me that if they are negative in any way <br>for <br>> > me, <br>> > > I cannot detect it.<br>> > > <br>> > > In fact I have found a very strong benefit from certain <br>> mushrooms, <br>> > > such as Reishi. By the way, I found Reishi particularly <br>> > interesting <br>> > > because, while it invigorates, it seemed to do it in a way <br>> which <br>> > did <br>> > > not diminish my mediation to any extent, and may even have <br>> > empowered <br>> > > it.<br>> > > <br>> > > So what do yo think, Near?<br>> > > <br>> > > -David<br>> > > <br>> > > <br>> > > --- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "nearoanoke" <nearoanoke@y...> <br>> > wrote:<br>> > > > <br>> > > > <br>> > > > Being from southern part of india, I eat lot of spicy food. I <br>> > guess <br>> > > > that can be detrimental to my practices. What is your typical <br>> > diet, <br>> > > can <br>> > > > you please post your diets here. AYP suggests light and <br>> > nutritious. <br>> > > > <br>> > > > Thanks,<br>> > > > Near<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>________________________________________________________________________<br>________________________________________________________________________<br><br>Message: 5 <br> Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:03:21 -0000<br> From: "obsidian9999" <obsidian9999@yahoo.com><br>Subject: Re: What do you eat? -- Any problems with Spices, Garlic, Mushrooms?<br><br><br><br>> Source: From a lecture by Dr. Robert C Beck, DSc, given at the <br>Whole <br>> Life Expo, Seattle, WA, USA, in March 1996, Nexus Magazine. <br>> <br><br>Thankyou for your response. That lecture seems to be more alarmism <br>than quality science.<br><br>Rather than make such off-hand claims, I'll delve into it a <br>little. I'll notice for example the following:<br><br> The reason garlic is so toxic, the sulphone hydroxyl ion penetrates <br>> the blood-brain barr
ier, just like DMSO, and is a specific poison <br>for <br>> higher-life forms and brain cells. <br><br>This seems nasty, but what psychoactive substance does not cross <br>the blood-brain barrier? Don't substances in your chamomile or mint <br>tea do the same, making you sleepy or perking you up?<br><br>The claim that it contains a substance that is a poison is dramatic <br>but vague unfortunately. It's one of those things that can seem <br>right, but says something wrong. So many (probably nearly all)<br>plant substances that have therapeutic properties are 'toxins' if <br>you look at them from another angle. A lot depends on dose.<br><br>> We'd have people come back from lunch that looked clinically dead <br>on <br>> an encephalograph, which we used to calibrate their <br>progress. "Well, <br>> what happened?" "Well, I went to an Italian restaurant and there <br>was <br>> some garlic in my salad dressing!" <br><br>The writer provides two anecdotes and airs a claim that <br>garlic 'doubles or triples' your reaction time, which would put <br>garlic-users in the category of drunken drivers. That does not fly.<br><br><br>> Well, we didn't know why for 20 years later, until I owned the <br>Alpha-<br>> Metrics Corporation. We were building biofeed-back equipment and <br>> found out that garlic usually desynchronises your brain waves. <br>> So I funded a study at Stanford and, sure enough, they found that <br>> it's a poison.<br><br>Now, there's where the poor quality of the research shows through <br>most clearly. After a strong claim that garlic doubles or triples <br>your reaction time, it should be very easy to prove this in a <br>laboratory and make a publication splash with it. One might think <br>that is what they would have sought to bring out in the Stanford <br>study. What does the Stanford study produce? The claim that, sure <br>enough, it is a poison. Which means nothing, for the reasons I <br>said.<br><br><br><br>--- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "zarembadavid" <rudra@g...> wrote:<br>> <br>> <br>> <br>> <br>> Garlic - Toxic Shock !<br>> <br>> <br>> Stop taking garlic. It kills tens of thousands of brain cells and <br>de-<br>> synchronises the left and right brains waves.<br>> <br>> The reason garlic is so toxic, the sulphone hydroxyl ion <br>penetrates <br>> the blood-brain barrier, just like DMSO, and is a specific poison <br>for <br>> higher-life forms and brain cells. We discovered this, much to our <br>> horror, when I (Bob Beck, DSc) was the world's largest <br>manufacturer <br>> of ethical EEG feedback equipment. <br>> We'd have people come back from lunch that looked clinically dead <br>on <br>> an encephalograph, which we used to calibrate their <br>progress. "Well, <br>> what happened?" "Well, I went to an Italian restaurant and there <br>was <br>> some garlic in my salad dressing!" So we had them sign things that <br>> they wouldn't touch garlic before classes or we were wasting their <br>> time, their money and my time. <br>> <br>> I guess some of you who are pilots or have been in flight <br>tests...I <br>> was in flight test engineering in Doc Hallan's group in the <br>1950's. <br>> The flight surgeon would come around every month and remind all of <br>> us: "Don't you dare touch any garlic 72 hours before you fly one <br>of <br>> our airplanes, because it'll double or triple your reaction time. <br>> You're three times slower than you would be if you'd not had a few <br>> drops of garlic." <br>> <br>> Well, we didn't know why for 20 years later, until I owned the <br>Alpha-<br>> Metrics Corporation. We were building biofeed-back equipment and <br>> found out that garlic usually desynchronises your brain waves. <br>> So I funded a study at Stanford and, sure enough, they found that <br>> it's a poison. You can rub a clove of garlic on your foot - and <br>you <br>> can smell it shortly later on your wrists. So it penetrates the <br>body. <br>> This is why DMSO smells a lot like garlic: that sulphone hydroxyl <br>ion <br>> penetrates all the barriers including the corpus callosum in
the <br>> brain. <br>> Any of you who are organic gardeners know that if you don't want <br>to <br>> use DDT, garlic will kill anything in the way of insects. <br>> Now, most people have heard most of their lives garlic is good for <br>> you, and we put those people in the same class of ignorance as the <br>> mothers who at the turn of the century would buy morphine sulphate <br>in <br>> the drugstore and give it to their babies to put them to sleep. <br>> If you have any patients who have low-grade headaches or attention <br>> deficit disorder, they can't quite focus on the computer in the <br>after-<br>> noon, just do an experiment - you owe it to yourselves. Take these <br>> people off garlic and see how much better they get, very very <br>> shortly. And then let them eat a little garlic after about three <br>> weeks. They'll say "My God, I had no idea that this was the cause <br>of <br>> our problems." And this includes the de-skunked garlics, Kyolic, <br>some <br>> of the other products. <br>> Very unpopular, but I've got to tell you the truth. <br>> <br>> Source: From a lecture by Dr. Robert C Beck, DSc, given at the <br>Whole <br>> Life Expo, Seattle, WA, USA, in March 1996, Nexus Magazine. <br>> <br>> <br>> http://pwsa.org/sp_garlic.htm<br>>; <br>> <br>> <br>> <br>> <br>> -----------------------------------------<br>> <br>> <br>> --- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "azaz932001" <br>> <richardchamberlin14@h...> wrote:<br>> > <br>> > <br>> > Hi<br>> > I haven't had any problems with specific foods at all. I have <br>> > noticed that my meditation is better the less I eat, so I <br>suppose <br>> the <br>> > eat lightly advice works well for me.<br>> > <br>> > Blessings R.C.<br>> > <br>> > > <br>> > > <br>> > > <br>> > > P.S.<br>> > > <br>> > > If any other people have found from experience that spices, <br>> > garlic, <br>> > > onions or mushrooms are detrimental to their yoga, I would be <br>> very <br>> > > interested in hearing about their experience. Not just that <br>guru <br>> > so-<br>> > > and-so said it please :) But real experience, if possible <br>not <br>> > > stimulated by prejudice.<br>> > > <br>> > > Of course, please discount digestive problems due to excess <br>> etc. <br>> > > I'm talking about reasonable, balanced consumption of above <br>> > > substances.<br>> > > <br>> > > It would be interesting to see for how many or for what <br>fraction <br>> of <br>> > > people this is true.....<br>> > > <br>> > > <br>> > > <br>> > > <br>> > > --- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "obsidian9999" <br>> <obsidian9999@y...> <br>> > > wrote:<br>> > > > <br>> > > > <br>> > > > <br>> > > > Hello Near,<br>> > > > <br>> > > > I've been an avid yoga practicioner for about twenty years <br>> > > (possibly <br>> > > > more if you count the spontaneous yoga of my first four <br>years <br>> of <br>> > > life!) <br>> > > > and while I have learned tremendous respect for the yoga <br>> > > tradition, I <br>> > > > have learned to be skeptical at times because I think it is <br>not <br>> > > always <br>> > > > right in its broad proscriptions or prescriptions. I think <br>it <br>> is <br>> > > like <br>> > > > Western Medicine in that way, or any body of knowledge.<br>> > > > <br>> > > > One particular thing is that because of Bio-individuality, <br>the <br>> > > nature <br>> > > > and extent of different peoples reactions to things is <br>> > different, <br>> > > and <br>> > > > even for a particular person, it can vary over time.<br>> > > > <br>> > > > I have found no negative effect on my meditation from spicy <br>> > foods. <br>> > > > Neither have I found a negative effect from the much <br>maligned <br>> > > garlic, <br>> > > > onions and mushrooms.<br>> > > > <br>> > > > Some people do report a downward pull to the senses from <br>garlic <br>> > in <br>> > > > particular, but it is often experienced as positive and <br>> > grounding <br>> > > > rather than tamasic. I can't say I noticed much from <br>garlic, <br>> > but <br>> > > I am <br>> > > > extraordinalarily sensitive to certain other herbs.<br>> > >
> <br>> > > > I don't present these ideas to you in a trivial or offhand <br>> > manner. <br>> > > In <br>> > > > fact, as a very young boy, I had an extreme prejudice <br>against <br>> > > > garlic, onions and mushrooms; asking me to eat them was <br>like <br>> > > asking <br>> > > > me to eat slugs! I thought they were dirty and nasty, as <br>if <br>> I <br>> > > was <br>> > > > carrying over a prejudice from a past life as a yogi. But <br>time <br>> > and <br>> > > > experience has taught me that if they are negative in any <br>way <br>> for <br>> > > me, <br>> > > > I cannot detect it.<br>> > > > <br>> > > > In fact I have found a very strong benefit from certain <br>> > mushrooms, <br>> > > > such as Reishi. By the way, I found Reishi particularly <br>> > > interesting <br>> > > > because, while it invigorates, it seemed to do it in a way <br>> > which <br>> > > did <br>> > > > not diminish my mediation to any extent, and may even have <br>> > > empowered <br>> > > > it.<br>> > > > <br>> > > > So what do yo think, Near?<br>> > > > <br>> > > > -David<br>> > > > <br>> > > > <br>> > > > --- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "nearoanoke" <br><nearoanoke@y...> <br>> > > wrote:<br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > Being from southern part of india, I eat lot of spicy <br>food. I <br>> > > guess <br>> > > > > that can be detrimental to my practices. What is your <br>typical <br>> > > diet, <br>> > > > can <br>> > > > > you please post your diets here. AYP suggests light and <br>> > > nutritious. <br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > Thanks,<br>> > > > > Near<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>________________________________________________________________________<br>________________________________________________________________________<br><br>Message: 6 <br> Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 00:05:15 -0000<br> From: "David Fiske" <david.fiske@sympatico.ca><br>Subject: Re: Some Reflections<br><br><br><br>--- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "nearoanoke" <nearoanoke@y...> wrote:<br>> <br>> <br>> It is a very good read David. Thanks for sharing and also thanks for <br>> the link.<br>> <br>> The problem with the idea of destiny (everything written down) is <br>> that we might take things easier and become lazy. We need to feel <br>> everything is in our hands and tommorrow will be based on what we do <br>> today. Then only I feel we can make good progress. <br>> <br>> Yes, as I often tell my students, what you think , you will say, <br>what you say you will do and what you do you will become. It is all a <br>step by step thing.<br>David<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>________________________________________________________________________<br>________________________________________________________________________<br><br>Message: 7 <br> Date: Mon, 04 Apr 2005 23:57:49 -0000<br> From: "nearoanoke" <nearoanoke@yahoo.com><br>Subject: Re: What do you eat? -- Any problems with Spices, Garlic, Mushrooms?<br><br><br><br>Hi David & RC and others,<br><br>Thanks for your responses. I dont feel food can make big of a <br>difference otherwise yogani would have surely mentioned it in AYP. <br><br>Lighter food is better can be the guideline to go by. <br><br>Love,<br>Near<br><br>--- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "obsidian9999" <obsidian9999@y...> <br>wrote:<br>> <br>> <br>> > Source: From a lecture by Dr. Robert C Beck, DSc, given at the <br>> Whole <br>> > Life Expo, Seattle, WA, USA, in March 1996, Nexus Magazine. <br>> > <br>> <br>> Thankyou for your response. That lecture seems to be more alarmism <br>> than quality science.<br>> <br>> Rather than make such off-hand claims, I'll delve into it a <br>> little. I'll notice for example the following:<br>> <br>> The reason garlic is so toxic, the sulphone hydroxyl ion <br>penetrates <br>> > the blood-brain barrier, just like DMSO, and is a specific poison <br>> for <br>> > higher-life forms and brain cells. <br>> <br>> This seems nasty, but what psychoactive substance does not cross <br>> the blood-brain barrier? Don't substances in your chamomile or <br>mint <b
r>> tea do the same, making you sleepy or perking you up?<br>> <br>> The claim that it contains a substance that is a poison is dramatic <br>> but vague unfortunately. It's one of those things that can seem <br>> right, but says something wrong. So many (probably nearly all)<br>> plant substances that have therapeutic properties are 'toxins' if <br>> you look at them from another angle. A lot depends on dose.<br>> <br>> > We'd have people come back from lunch that looked clinically dead <br>> on <br>> > an encephalograph, which we used to calibrate their <br>> progress. "Well, <br>> > what happened?" "Well, I went to an Italian restaurant and there <br>> was <br>> > some garlic in my salad dressing!" <br>> <br>> The writer provides two anecdotes and airs a claim that <br>> garlic 'doubles or triples' your reaction time, which would put <br>> garlic-users in the category of drunken drivers. That does not fly.<br>> <br>> <br>> > Well, we didn't know why for 20 years later, until I owned the <br>> Alpha-<br>> > Metrics Corporation. We were building biofeed-back equipment and <br>> > found out that garlic usually desynchronises your brain waves. <br>> > So I funded a study at Stanford and, sure enough, they found that <br>> > it's a poison.<br>> <br>> Now, there's where the poor quality of the research shows through <br>> most clearly. After a strong claim that garlic doubles or triples <br>> your reaction time, it should be very easy to prove this in a <br>> laboratory and make a publication splash with it. One might think <br>> that is what they would have sought to bring out in the Stanford <br>> study. What does the Stanford study produce? The claim that, <br>sure <br>> enough, it is a poison. Which means nothing, for the reasons I <br>> said.<br>> <br>> <br>> <br>> --- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "zarembadavid" <rudra@g...> wrote:<br>> > <br>> > <br>> > <br>> > <br>> > Garlic - Toxic Shock !<br>> > <br>> > <br>> > Stop taking garlic. It kills tens of thousands of brain cells and <br>> de-<br>> > synchronises the left and right brains waves.<br>> > <br>> > The reason garlic is so toxic, the sulphone hydroxyl ion <br>> penetrates <br>> > the blood-brain barrier, just like DMSO, and is a specific poison <br>> for <br>> > higher-life forms and brain cells. We discovered this, much to <br>our <br>> > horror, when I (Bob Beck, DSc) was the world's largest <br>> manufacturer <br>> > of ethical EEG feedback equipment. <br>> > We'd have people come back from lunch that looked clinically dead <br>> on <br>> > an encephalograph, which we used to calibrate their <br>> progress. "Well, <br>> > what happened?" "Well, I went to an Italian restaurant and there <br>> was <br>> > some garlic in my salad dressing!" So we had them sign things <br>that <br>> > they wouldn't touch garlic before classes or we were wasting <br>their <br>> > time, their money and my time. <br>> > <br>> > I guess some of you who are pilots or have been in flight <br>> tests...I <br>> > was in flight test engineering in Doc Hallan's group in the <br>> 1950's. <br>> > The flight surgeon would come around every month and remind all <br>of <br>> > us: "Don't you dare touch any garlic 72 hours before you fly one <br>> of <br>> > our airplanes, because it'll double or triple your reaction time. <br>> > You're three times slower than you would be if you'd not had a <br>few <br>> > drops of garlic." <br>> > <br>> > Well, we didn't know why for 20 years later, until I owned the <br>> Alpha-<br>> > Metrics Corporation. We were building biofeed-back equipment and <br>> > found out that garlic usually desynchronises your brain waves. <br>> > So I funded a study at Stanford and, sure enough, they found that <br>> > it's a poison. You can rub a clove of garlic on your foot - and <br>> you <br>> > can smell it shortly later on your wrists. So it penetrates the <br>> body. <br>> > This is why DMSO smells a lot like garlic: that sulphone hydroxyl <br>> ion <br>> > penetrates all the barriers including the corpus callosum in the <br>> > brain. <br>> > Any of yo
u who are organic gardeners know that if you don't want <br>> to <br>> > use DDT, garlic will kill anything in the way of insects. <br>> > Now, most people have heard most of their lives garlic is good <br>for <br>> > you, and we put those people in the same class of ignorance as <br>the <br>> > mothers who at the turn of the century would buy morphine <br>sulphate <br>> in <br>> > the drugstore and give it to their babies to put them to sleep. <br>> > If you have any patients who have low-grade headaches or <br>attention <br>> > deficit disorder, they can't quite focus on the computer in the <br>> after-<br>> > noon, just do an experiment - you owe it to yourselves. Take <br>these <br>> > people off garlic and see how much better they get, very very <br>> > shortly. And then let them eat a little garlic after about three <br>> > weeks. They'll say "My God, I had no idea that this was the cause <br>> of <br>> > our problems." And this includes the de-skunked garlics, Kyolic, <br>> some <br>> > of the other products. <br>> > Very unpopular, but I've got to tell you the truth. <br>> > <br>> > Source: From a lecture by Dr. Robert C Beck, DSc, given at the <br>> Whole <br>> > Life Expo, Seattle, WA, USA, in March 1996, Nexus Magazine. <br>> > <br>> > <br>> > http://pwsa.org/sp_garlic.htm<br>>; > <br>> > <br>> > <br>> > <br>> > <br>> > -----------------------------------------<br>> > <br>> > <br>> > --- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "azaz932001" <br>> > <richardchamberlin14@h...> wrote:<br>> > > <br>> > > <br>> > > Hi<br>> > > I haven't had any problems with specific foods at all. I have <br>> > > noticed that my meditation is better the less I eat, so I <br>> suppose <br>> > the <br>> > > eat lightly advice works well for me.<br>> > > <br>> > > Blessings R.C.<br>> > > <br>> > > > <br>> > > > <br>> > > > <br>> > > > P.S.<br>> > > > <br>> > > > If any other people have found from experience that spices, <br>> > > garlic, <br>> > > > onions or mushrooms are detrimental to their yoga, I would <br>be <br>> > very <br>> > > > interested in hearing about their experience. Not just that <br>> guru <br>> > > so-<br>> > > > and-so said it please :) But real experience, if possible <br>> not <br>> > > > stimulated by prejudice.<br>> > > > <br>> > > > Of course, please discount digestive problems due to excess <br>> > etc. <br>> > > > I'm talking about reasonable, balanced consumption of above <br>> > > > substances.<br>> > > > <br>> > > > It would be interesting to see for how many or for what <br>> fraction <br>> > of <br>> > > > people this is true.....<br>> > > > <br>> > > > <br>> > > > <br>> > > > <br>> > > > --- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "obsidian9999" <br>> > <obsidian9999@y...> <br>> > > > wrote:<br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > Hello Near,<br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > I've been an avid yoga practicioner for about twenty years <br>> > > > (possibly <br>> > > > > more if you count the spontaneous yoga of my first four <br>> years <br>> > of <br>> > > > life!) <br>> > > > > and while I have learned tremendous respect for the yoga <br>> > > > tradition, I <br>> > > > > have learned to be skeptical at times because I think it is <br>> not <br>> > > > always <br>> > > > > right in its broad proscriptions or prescriptions. I think <br>> it <br>> > is <br>> > > > like <br>> > > > > Western Medicine in that way, or any body of knowledge.<br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > One particular thing is that because of Bio-individuality, <br>> the <br>> > > > nature <br>> > > > > and extent of different peoples reactions to things is <br>> > > different, <br>> > > > and <br>> > > > > even for a particular person, it can vary over time.<br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > I have found no negative effect on my meditation from spicy <br>> > > foods. <br>> > > > > Neither have I found a negative effect from the much <br>> maligned <br>> > > > garlic, <br>> > > > > onions and mushrooms.<br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > Some people do report a downward pull to the senses from <br>> garlic <br>> > > in <br>> > > > > particular, but it i
s often experienced as positive and <br>> > > grounding <br>> > > > > rather than tamasic. I can't say I noticed much from <br>> garlic, <br>> > > but <br>> > > > I am <br>> > > > > extraordinalarily sensitive to certain other herbs.<br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > I don't present these ideas to you in a trivial or offhand <br>> > > manner. <br>> > > > In <br>> > > > > fact, as a very young boy, I had an extreme prejudice <br>> against <br>> > > > > garlic, onions and mushrooms; asking me to eat them was <br>> like <br>> > > > asking <br>> > > > > me to eat slugs! I thought they were dirty and nasty, as <br>> if <br>> > I <br>> > > > was <br>> > > > > carrying over a prejudice from a past life as a yogi. But <br>> time <br>> > > and <br>> > > > > experience has taught me that if they are negative in any <br>> way <br>> > for <br>> > > > me, <br>> > > > > I cannot detect it.<br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > In fact I have found a very strong benefit from certain <br>> > > mushrooms, <br>> > > > > such as Reishi. By the way, I found Reishi particularly <br>> > > > interesting <br>> > > > > because, while it invigorates, it seemed to do it in a <br>way <br>> > > which <br>> > > > did <br>> > > > > not diminish my mediation to any extent, and may even have <br>> > > > empowered <br>> > > > > it.<br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > So what do yo think, Near?<br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > -David<br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > <br>> > > > > --- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "nearoanoke" <br>> <nearoanoke@y...> <br>> > > > wrote:<br>> > > > > > <br>> > > > > > <br>> > > > > > Being from southern part of india, I eat lot of spicy <br>> food. I <br>> > > > guess <br>> > > > > > that can be detrimental to my practices. What is your <br>> typical <br>> > > > diet, <br>> > > > > can <br>> > > > > > you please post your diets here. AYP suggests light and <br>> > > > nutritious. <br>> > > > > > <br>> > > > > > Thanks,<br>> > > > > > Near<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>________________________________________________________________________<br>________________________________________________________________________<br><br>Message: 8 <br> Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 01:26:54 -0000<br> From: "obsidian9999" <obsidian9999@yahoo.com><br>Subject: IS GARLIC TAMASIC (A challenge)<br><br><br><br><br>OK, since there is something of a lull in the forum right now, let <br>me get up on my soapbox and ask a question. <br><br>I'm going to draw a line in the sand. A small question for <br>humanity, but a big question for garlic-lovers who also happen to <br>be yogis. :)<br><br>IS GARLIC 'TAMASIC'?<br><br>Is it **really** mind-dulling, bad for your meditation, or is it <br>the opposite?<br><br>Is it overly sexually stimulating or just sensually grounding?<br><br>Has anyone, anyone actually found *from EXPERIENCE* ( and not <br>just that Guru So-so-Ji said it) that garlic is actually tamasic?<br><br>Is it just a huge myth? A myth propagated by yogis who don't want <br>any garlic-breath at spiritual gatherings? An over-reaching finding <br>that has some basis in the fact that for some people (some of the <br>time) it can, shall we say, get them going, if you know what I <br>mean, nudge-nudge, wink, wink, a happening which was probably <br>not preferred among celibate ascetics, and which started a <br>prejudice against it? :)<br><br>What do y'all think? I hate to throw the cat among the pigeons here <br>but I think the tradition is making a mistake here.....<br><br>All replies welcome.<br><br>-David<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>________________________________________________________________________<br>________________________________________________________________________<br><br>Message: 9 <br> Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2005 05:20:36 -0000<br> From: "Greg" <trian3@charter.net><br>Subject: Halasana - Need help<br><br><br><br>Hello everyone,<br><br>I just recently started doing Hatha yoga and am following the<br>beginner's regimen as outlined in BKS Iyengar's "Light on Yoga". The<br>second to final asana
in the first two week course is called<br>Halasana (Pgs 216-220 if you have the book). I'm having trouble with<br>interlocking my hands and most especially with turning them over. <br>Does anyone have a tip or two that will help with this? I'm uncertain<br>if it's a matter of simple flexibility or if it's more the case of<br>muscle getting in the way. Any advice is welcome.<br><br>Thank-you,<br><br>Greg M<br><br>PS I hope this is the right forum in which to post this. If not, I<br>apologize.<br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br><br>________________________________________________________________________<br>________________________________________________________________________<br><br>Message: 10 <br> Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 23:10:49 -0700 (PDT)<br> From: victor yj <vic@yahoo.com><br>Subject: Re: Re: What do you eat? -- Any problems with Spices, Garlic, Mushrooms?<br><br><br>I tend to like variety in my diet and have no restrictions as such. I do however avoid eating garlic and also uncooked onions. These two foods in particular seem to bother me and even a little garlic in a food can make it very unnapetizing to me. I can't really explain why but anyone that is close to me knows that I hate eating garlic. Perhaps Yogis and vampires have something in common ;)<br> I do however have no such problem with mushrooms which I love and eat at every possible opportunity. I have always taken issue with those who have called mushrooms "tamasic" and I have heard mushrooms described as having a "low conciousness" which I would dispute as would anyone who has experimented with the magical and sacred mushrooms that while not tasting very good can indeed help ones conciousness expand to a new dimention.<br><br>nearoanoke <nearoanoke@yahoo.com> wrote:<br><br><br>Hi David & RC and others,<br><br>Thanks for your responses. I dont feel food can make big of a <br>difference otherwise yogani would have surely mentioned it in AYP. <br><br>Lighter food is better can be the guideline to go by. <br><br>Love,<br>Near<br><br>--- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "obsidian9999" <obsidian9999@y...> <br>wrote:<br>> <br>> <br>> > Source: From a lecture by Dr. Robert C Beck, DSc, given at the <br>> Whole <br>> > Life Expo, Seattle, WA, USA, in March 1996, Nexus Magazine. <br>> > <br>> <br>> Thankyou for your response. That lecture seems to be more alarmism <br>> than quality science.<br>> <br>> Rather than make such off-hand claims, I'll delve into it a <br>> little. I'll notice for example the following:<br>> <br>> The reason garlic is so toxic, the sulphone hydroxyl ion <br>penetrates <br>> > the blood-brain barrier, just like DMSO, and is a specific poison <br>> for <br>> > higher-life forms and brain cells. <br>> <br>> This seems nasty, but what psychoactive substance does not cross <br>> the blood-brain barrier? Don't substances in your chamomile or <br>mint <br>> tea do the same, making you sleepy or perking you up?<br>> <br>> The claim that it contains a substance that is a poison is dramatic <br>> but vague unfortunately. It's one of those things that can seem <br>> right, but says something wrong. So many (probably nearly all)<br>> plant substances that have therapeutic properties are 'toxins' if <br>> you look at them from another angle. A lot depends on dose.<br>> <br>> > We'd have people come back from lunch that looked clinically dead <br>> on <br>> > an encephalograph, which we used to calibrate their <br>> progress. "Well, <br>> > what happened?" "Well, I went to an Italian restaurant and there <br>> was <br>> > some garlic in my salad dressing!" <br>> <br>> The writer provides two anecdotes and airs a claim that <br>> garlic 'doubles or triples' your reaction time, which would put <br>> garlic-users in the category of drunken drivers. That does not fly.<br>> <br>> <br>> > Well, we didn't know why for 20 years later, until I owned the <br>> Alpha-<br>> > Metrics Corporation. We were building biofeed-back equipment and <br>> > found out that garlic usually desynchronises your brain waves. <br>> > So I funded a st
udy at Stanford and, sure enough, they found that <br>> > it's a poison.<br>> <br>> Now, there's where the poor quality of the research shows through <br>> most clearly. After a strong claim that garlic doubles or triples <br>> your reaction time, it should be very easy to prove this in a <br>> laboratory and make a publication splash with it. One might think <br>> that is what they would have sought to bring out in the Stanford <br>> study. What does the Stanford study produce? The claim that, <br>sure <br>> enough, it is a poison. Which means nothing, for the reasons I <br>> said.<br>> <br>> <br>> <br>> --- In AYPforum@yahoogroups.com, "zarembadavid" <rudra@g...> wrote:<br>> > <br>> > <br>> > <br>> > <br>> > Garlic - Toxic Shock !<br>> > <br>> > <br>> > Stop taking garlic. It kills tens of thousands of brain cells and <br>> de-<br>> > synchronises the left and right brains waves.<br>> > <br>> > The reason garlic is so toxic, the sulphone hydroxyl ion <br>> penetrates <br
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000