Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 AYP and vision
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Vimala

France
80 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  12:41:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi :-)

I wanted to discuss a certain type of meditation benefits : healing of short sightness and similar problems.

I know that meditation has a tremendous impact on general health... yet,a method to heal myopia while cultivating the spiritual side is still to be found.

Does anyone experienced healings in this area?

Sorry for bad english :-(

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  1:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Funny, I recently asked Yogani about that. I'm nearsighted, but haven't experienced any healing as of yet. There is a spiritual teacher named Dr. David Hawkins (http://www.veritaspub.com) who claims that his awakening brought about a full restoration to his vision.

I leave anything open to possibility. Maybe I'll start releasing the sutra "Akasha Vision" into stillness, and maybe this could bring about a sharpening of the optical sensorium.

Godspeed.
Go to Top of Page

Vasuki_Natarajan

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2014 :  2:35:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
You guys might want to look in to the practice of trataka, which is explained and is claimed to remove diseases of the eyes in the Hatha Yoga Pradipika. I can't say how well or even if it really works for that, but you might try it and let us know. It's at the end of the section on shatkarmas, I think.
Go to Top of Page

Vimala

France
80 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  02:26:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Unfortunately, I've never heard of anyone who was relieved from vision problems with trataka.
This tread is for collecting testimonies

Edited by - Vimala on Feb 26 2014 05:34:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  2:30:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've thought this many times before, I'm frustratingly nearsighted as well...

The only actual testimony I can offer as far as meditation and vision, is there have been a few occasions after meditation and samyama where I would open my eyes and everything would be SUPER vibrant and almost HD, like my vision did get enhanced. One time this prompted me to take a nice walk outside. Unfortunately though, never 20/20 vision.

Still, that does give me hope.

Maybe we can do samyama on LASIK eye surgery, and then hopefully get a good deal and a great professional to do it for us.

Or... Maybe we'll find meditation DOES heal our vision, and we can put LASIK out of business and spread enlightenment AND perfect vision to the masses.

All jokes aside, this is something that should be investigated. I had perfect vision when I was younger, and saw it slowly decline over many years... So I'm confident that process can be reversed somehow. At least I'm being hopeful anyways.

Edited by - Chaz on Feb 26 2014 2:55:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

Holy

796 Posts

Posted - Feb 26 2014 :  4:40:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Holy's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
There are two people who have teachings to restore the eyesight fully and completely. Both were successful with it and also were successful in restoring others.

Interestingly there is no english tranlation available as it seems from Mirsakarim Norbekov's classic book. Have the eyesight problem aswell. Wanted to complete his system, but had to stop inbetween half the process. Eyesight did restore intensly. After some days I could already see immensly sharp and read far distant words which were impossible before. The only thing is, you have an additional time consumation of about 1 hour per day. Together with spiritual practices and also physical excercises it can get quiet lengthy. The plan here is to get back to that project in spring or summer :)

Then there is the system of Leo Angart. It is the more scientific approach but also seems to take much longer to restore the eyesight to 20/20. At least some of his books are available in english aswell! The classic from him: http://www.amazon.com/Improve-Your-...s=Leo+Angart

Norbekov's method is half physical, but mostly an emotional and mental thing. So you use physics, stretching techniques, intense emotional happiness and extreme intention to see sharper and sharper and sharper, which really works :P. Then relaxation phases with palms closing the eyes. He learned these healing techniques from a sufi master which is quiet obvious :P

Leo Angart has 80% physical techniques, but interestingly he said that one can only progress to some level with these and to finish it energy techniques are needed. So he also goes into prana and visualization of different colours and do direct these energies into the third eye area etc. :P

Leo's system speaks of restoring 1 diopter per month, while Norbekov speaks of 1 diapter per 2-6 days. Have done Norbeovs system for one month, lazily, which means only did about 1/3 of what he instructed and the vision restored enormously. Then due to timings his system was skipped till now, which is about 5 months already and the eyesight degraded to the level before, except some percent it is better.

According to both of them, after succesfull 20/20 it is needed to keep the practice for about a month to make it permanent in the subconsious that you see perfectly! :)

There are some forums out there aswell, people report about their success, some of them giving very detailed reports including going to the doc, measuring the eyes periodically etc.

I do have a pdf of Norbekov's basic techniques in english, it was a compilation from a russian boy, who was also successful with it after about 6 months, from 4-5 dipters to perfect 20/20. But as far as I know this boy really gave these 6 months to the restoration with full priority.

And Chaz you are right, this whole eyeglass thing is a market, like the medicine field, which is a trick to bring you in and not out anymore :P Leo's book is my reccomendation, he also goes into the historical part how this eyesight-"problem" has started and how it increased. Several decades ago it was rare that people had eyeglasses, now 50-70% need them. the reasons and as you say how to reverse it can be found in his book.

The only question is, if it can be done within days rather than months, Norbkeov's method would be the prefered one. But to get the techical insights first, inlcuding the anatomy of the eye, Leo is a better start :P If anyone here wants the pdf of that boy, he can send me a PM.

Peace and clear vision friends :P
Go to Top of Page

Jaycee

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - Feb 27 2014 :  06:45:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Jaycee's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's a link to a DVD which might be of interest:-

http://www.amazon.com/Yoga-for-Your...for+the+eyes

Go to Top of Page

compassion

87 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2014 :  01:35:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This is an interesting topic and I'd like to share a few thoughts. Note though, I am short sighted and I am still short sighted. I do not have an answer, just a number of thoughts, that may or may not be related, that others might be able to build upon.

The first point, I remember reading that some people with dissociative identity disorder (previously known as multiple personality disorder) have different quality of eyesight depending on the personality that is currently active. This strongly implies that issues such as eyesight are founded as a body-manifestation of the mind or emotions, rather than being a physical imperfection as we are led to believe. (similar observations can be found for other illnesses)

The second point, I remember in a book I read a long time ago (perhaps it was by Louise Hay?) there was mention that short sightedness was symbolic somehow of being unable or unwilling to see far into the future. I don't remember how much of that was explicitly stated in the book, and how much was filled in by my mind, but it's important to remember that our mind-body often tries to protect us from difficult emotions. If we are ignorant of the path we are taking, if it is in conflict to our truest desires, we might find pain when seeing clearly where we are going.

In my experience, I find occasional moments of clarity of mind and vision, which are related to my practises. I walk around, and everything looks so clear, so perfect and I have wondered if my vision has been cured, either temporarily or otherwise. Testing by trying to read some distant text confirms that my vision is the 'same' and has not improved. But somehow when you are not seeing through the filter of certain beliefs, thoughts or emotions, everything is just clearer and more pleasing to see. It would be interesting to see if in extended periods in such a state would improve eyesight physically, or if the improvement is only psychological. Naturally, in such states I care less about having good eyesight, and realise if I get on the wrong bus or say hello to someone I don't know, then the experience could be as beautiful as anything I could see clearly with my eyes :)
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Mar 01 2014 :  08:55:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you, Holy. That is very illuminating and inspirational.
Go to Top of Page

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2014 :  1:08:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I suspect there may be some among you with little time to pick up another book, but would like to dive into some exercises that will help to restore vision. To that end, a couple of links:

http://www.i-see.org/gottlieb/presbyopia_chart.pdf

http://www.i-see.org/gottlieb/string_of_pearls.pdf

You'll find other resources available on this site, but these are the two I have printed out and refer to whenever I feel my vision is on the decline.

My father, who referred me to these resources initially, has worn glasses for over 30 years and after doing these exercises for just a couple months time, he was able to stop wearing them almost entirely. He now uses them only when driving at night as a precaution.

Enjoy,

Greg
Go to Top of Page

BillinL.A.

USA
375 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2014 :  3:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
These look great GregM, thanks.
Go to Top of Page

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 02 2014 :  9:49:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My pleasure.

--Greg
Go to Top of Page

adishivayogi

USA
197 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2014 :  7:02:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Throughout highschool I always failed my hearing and eye test. I never got glasses until I started driving and have routinely been told I have bad eyes n hearing. Two years ago I couldn't pass my eye exam or hearing exam for my first dot physical( they let me slide on the hearing anyway). Well since then I have been doing yoga. About two or three weeks ago I took my second dot physical and passes both my eye exam and hearing test . My hearing was quite bad but my eyes not so much. However I find it more astounding my hearing had repaired itself as that's suppose to be impossible
Go to Top of Page

GregM

USA
51 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2014 :  12:31:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit GregM's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Adishivayogi,

At the end of the book on Samyama, suggestions are taken from the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali to be incorporated into our Samyama practice over time. #23 strikes me as one that might interest you in particular. It reads:

quote:
Akasha Hearing – divine sense of hearing. Can
also be applied to touch, sight, taste and smell.
For enhancement of the individual senses.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000