AYPsite.org Forum
 Yoga, Science and Philosophy
 Clinical Studies
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Feb 19 2014 :  11:18:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
I know they've done a variety of clinical studies on certain populations, for example Buddhist monks, in order to determine if there are physiological or mental changes with practice.

But does anyone know if there have been studies based on brain chemistry?

The thought just appeared to me that it would seem logical that reward-type dopamine is released into the brain in massive doses during samadhi.

It certainly seems likely. And I would suggest broad changes in the brain chemistry, not simply minor changes. Anecdotally, it seems to me that no drug induced high can compare with the drugged-like state of deep samadhi. And in fact, in my experience, during entrance to samadhi there are sweeping chemical changes taking place. The same rush that appears with drug use.

I would love to see this topic explored in the future.

NoDogma

USA
123 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  04:23:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This topic is very interesting for me.

my looking around (and I am not calling it 'research') leads me to nothing. There are bits and pieces of here and there. but that is the end of it (or beginning)...

I've 4-5 ex-colleagues who are PhDs in various fields and we've discussed the possibility of using me as the subject. I am trying into look into possibility of buying a good EEG machine for myself.

but that is an individual study.

what I am aiming at is a possibility of random sampled study over many years (not few weeks) of meditation similar to AYP. Of course, no govt (hence Univ) is gonna sponsor it.

Someday, someone will have enough courage, resources, influences to start a "REAL" project to explore the issues related to this ancient practice.

yes, I will love to be part of it .. as of today, I can only be a small contributor.

Edited by - NoDogma on Feb 20 2014 04:36:16 AM
Go to Top of Page

AYPforum

351 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  08:25:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Moderator note: Topic moved for better placement
Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  11:09:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I've pondered this as well. The one thing that strikes me after a solid year of focused practice in AYP meditation/yoga is how much the physical body is the focus of the techniques. The word "spiritual" conjures up vague notions in my head, but AYP grounds it all to the nervous system.

A local friend and fellow AYP meditator and I have discussed the notion of the techniques "clearing out" the nervous system or senses (however that would happen!) versus a situation where one is somehow activating/stimulating neurochemical processes in the body to be "on" more often.

From my reading on dopamine, it is less of a reward chemical and more about the seeking out and anticipation of a reward. But I do suspect perhaps some endogenous opioid or cannabanoid may be involved. I've never experienced samadhi so I'm just speculating that the experience is pleasurable. But if so then it only follows that it would need to employ the neurobiology and neurochemistry of the body to impart that experience.
Go to Top of Page

Yogaman

USA
295 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  11:16:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This lecture series on YouTube brings up some interesting points regarding this topic: http://youtu.be/Eid6fiAj8WY

As far as how accurate his science is or accurate his hypotheses are, that remains to be seen :) I submit these more as 'food for #thought' than for proof or hard data.

The one thing that stuck out to me in his findings was how often an enlightenment experience was preceded by a period of deep depression or tribulation. I'm reminded of AYP lessons on those who reach this instant samadhi but have no method or system to lead others to the same experience. This isn't exclusively the case, but it's interesting how often it indeed is. The researcher puts forth a biological case for this experience. Again, no idea if anything he states is accurate or realistic.
Go to Top of Page

tonightsthenight

846 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2014 :  11:26:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Me too Nodogma!

Yogaman, in both yoga and tantra we go down to go up. Its the best way we've found to my knowledge

The physical, or phenomenal, world is simply the every changing patina covering the formless, limitless and eternal diamond within. Spiritual is just a word for where everything comes from. Top down or bottom up, its both, it is the source of all things.

You're right about dopamine, I'm hardly a neuroscientist!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000