Satsang Cafe - General Discussions on AYP
 Changes in Perception
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2014 :  9:56:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hi everyone,

Lately I've been noticing how drastically my perception of many things has changed in hindsight. It is interesting to note these changes and how they have altered the way I relate to the world. This encompasses multiple aspects and has not been limited to points of view or perspective alone, but also in how I physically see and sense things around me. Also Bhakti seems to play a big role in this, as my mind has begun to interpret everything around me as a reflection of That, everything being for That.

First I'd like to discuss one of the changes in the way I have been physically seeing things, because it was very odd when I first experienced this drastic difference in my visual processing. I was in the car, passenger seat, taking in the scenery as we rode along. In my peripheral I can see my arms and legs, the side windows and doors, and the scenery beyond them as well. A very interesting thing happened. Normally how my brain processes what I'm seeing, there's a slight distinction between my body and everything else. Where this body ends, everything that is perceived as a part of me and this body also ends, and everything else is registered as separate from the body by the brain. Well as we were driving along I was starting to feel deep inner stillness, and suddenly that visual processing stopped, my brain did not register the separateness of the body and suddenly the car doors, the windows, the passing scenery were not being perceived as any different or separate from my arms, legs, and torso. My body felt as if it expanded into everything else, what used to be out there now seemed to just be an extended part of the body. Before yoga my awareness was mostly localized and immanent in the body, but as practices have taken me further that sense of bodily awareness has now expanded to be immanent in my surroundings. It's almost as if my body is a giant sphere of awareness that encompasses all immediate sensory phenomena and is centered in this tiny little vessel. It feels like everything is wrapped in a warm blanket of presence.

To quote Wayne Dyer; "You are not a organism in an environment, you are an environorganism." I have had glimpses of this reality.

Bhakti is another game changer here, it has taken on a life of it's own. It gives life new meaning. Now I feel like I can sort of grasp the essence of surrender and service. I don't think service is all about working at a homeless shelter or anything like that, not that that isn't a great form of service, but I feel in my heart it's more about being able to merge with God's flow and harmony, and allowing Him to do His divine work through you, in whatever ways you can serve best. The less in the way we are, the more He can work through us, and in this way we manifest His infinite love, intelligence, creativity, etc. It's simply allowing divine love to overflow out of you and into the world through your thoughts, words, and actions and making that love more visible, more tangible for the rest of the world to revel in.

So now I've been praying to my ishta; Divine Mother please make this body your temple, this mind your faithful servant, and my heart your everlasting throne.

You know what? She's been EVERYWHERE, showing her face in everything... And I don't forget so much anymore. In fact I get lost in Her more than in the world, even while engaged in the world. This divine addiction is an addiction worth having. It gives me purpose, now I know that by serving God I am serving the world.

I had a pretty neat experience over the last couple days of 2013 and into the New Year. It really showed me how far Bhakti is taking me. I was going to a New Years rave, which for those who don't know is a big electronic dance music party. Despite the rave cultures heavy association with drugs, there's a more predominant theme which is the concept of PLUR (Peace. Love. Unity. Respect.) and is a big reason why I love that scene. Everyone is so open and accepting (not just people who are high!) and despite everyone expressing their own individuality by the eccentric styles and dress people like to wear to these kinds of parties, everyone is coming together to celebrate life, unity, and music. It's an amazing thing to see, literally such a diverse group of thousands of strangers coming together to form bonds and celebrate life.

So anyways a few days before the party me and a couple friends were at the mall and I was looking for something to wear. I wanted something that represented my higher ideals, something that would convey a powerful and positive message. I like stuff like that. But I couldn't find anything, nothing was speaking to the heart. Then we're in one of my favorite stores, and my best friend who is a divine goddess herself, points out a shirt with none other than Divine Mother in one of my favorite forms: Lakshmi! The shirt had a nice patterned background, it was definitely a shirt for me. I excitedly got it thinking what better way to bring in the New Year then with the beautiful loving energy of Lakshmi! And from there Divine Mother took over.

(Here's a pic of the shirt, sorry its slightly blurry; https://31.media.tumblr.com/8d4cf85...ozo1_500.jpg

A pic of me and my best friend at the rave: https://24.media.tumblr.com/6a50605...ozo1_500.jpg)

So now my intentions were changing. What started out as a plan to just have some fun and party to bring in the New Years, now became something different. Now it wasn't just about partying and fun, it became a form of devotion to my higher ideal. I was going there not just for my own personal enjoyment, but for God. Why? To service Divine Mother by being a clear channel for her love, presence, and energy and to share that with everyone at the rave. I was not going to be celebrating the New Year alone but rather Divine Mother herself, in the form of new beginnings, dance, music, and everyone around me.

So I did samyama on this as the days lead up to the party and interesting things were happening. Lot of synchronicity. Here I was, getting ready to wear a shirt of Divine Mother Lakshmi, the mother of prosperity, abundance, and auspiciousness and celebrate Her as the New Year. Then you know what? I checked my horoscope, and however much people believe in them or not, this particular horoscope hit home. It spoke about the positive energy I was feeling, and about sharing it with others, and then get this, it said that I was entering a time of auspiciousness and abundance. Go figure... It was like Divine Mother spoke and said "I'm here. I'm right here now."

Sure enough there were several instances back to back where I felt abundantly provided for by a higher power. I knew now Divine Mother had the reigns, I didn't have to ask for anything. All I had to do was surrender. So the rave happened and I carried out my intent, and throughout the night I learned a few lessons. But overall what was most important was that I realized it didn't stop there, the celebration of Divine Mother is what life is all about. Being a clear channel for that divine love, those sublime vibrations, to pour out of is my purpose in this life.

And so this was the turning point of how I related my Bhakti to the world. Divine Mother was now showing her face as abundance in my life, but she's also been showing up in so many more ways then that. Even writing now I offer my words to Divine Mother in her form as Saraswati, knowing she is the one ultimately speaking. Lately Her presence has been felt strongly here, especially in my thinking. Music, which always has the potential to put me in deep ecstatic trances, is now seen as a reflection of Her, the primordial reality. Out of stillness, silence... a vibration... More. Is it chaos? No, it's Absolute harmony.

Anyways, so yea my perception and relations in the world have been changing drastically and in such a short period of time. I'm curious to the changes in perception that others have experienced with yoga, how drastic, and what forms they took. I know there are many along the path. I have experienced several other subtle changes but I won't discuss them now. Thanks for reading.

Much love,
Chaz

(P.s it dawned on me that the company I got my shirt from received backlash from the Hindu community for incorporating religious images on their clothing. I personally have the utmost respect for all people and their religions here and it is not my intentions to offend anyone. I really like the shirt and I'm not wearing it as a mere fashion statement but as a form of reverence.)

SeySorciere

Seychelles
1553 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  01:41:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Chaz

Divine Mother please make this body your temple, this mind your faithful servant, and my heart your everlasting throne.

Absolutely beautiful. I love.

Sey

Go to Top of Page

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  12:38:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  12:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thank you for sharing this beautiful story Chaz.

She does that. There is a very special beauty about Lakshmi; her sadhana gives one the eyes to see it, IMHO. Her Grace is so magnificent that she gives you more than one asks of her - she gives one the knowledge of oneself as her. Here she morphs into Saraswati, there as Kali, here as Shiva and there as Jesus.. And finally, as one's true self; no different from all these forms. How generous!

Much love to you.
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  1:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Righteous!

Awesome shirt. Keep on truckin', bro.
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - Feb 11 2014 :  2:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Thanks Chaz

I know what you mean with this experience: My body felt as if it expanded into everything else, what used to be out there now seemed to just be an extended part of the body. Before yoga my awareness was mostly localized and immanent in the body, but as practices have taken me further that sense of bodily awareness has now expanded to be immanent in my surroundings.

I find it will come at the strangest times! :-) Often with a lot of joy.
Go to Top of Page

catrynn

Ireland
68 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  05:26:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
What a wonderful story Chaz! I really like your shirt and the reason you wear it and the devotion with which you wear it. I didn't know about raves either and now see them in a totally new light. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Chaz

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Feb 12 2014 :  11:27:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
She does that. There is a very special beauty about Lakshmi; her sadhana gives one the eyes to see it, IMHO. Her Grace is so magnificent that she gives you more than one asks of her - she gives one the knowledge of oneself as her. Here she morphs into Saraswati, there as Kali, here as Shiva and there as Jesus.. And finally, as one's true self; no different from all these forms. How generous!

Yes, absolutely! I know exactly what you mean about that special beauty. I have to say it was originally shocking to see how dynamic and alive my relationship with the divine has become, and it started when She came into my life. Not that that relationship wasn't there before, but like you said Kami, it's as if She gave me the eyes to see it all around me and now I feel immense gratitude for Her constant grace. It's amazing how no stone is left unturned. Life feels divinely infused. Even worldly things now seem to hold her essence, the secular seemingly having a mystical glow. It's pretty neat. Everything has it's place in all this, even if I want to go out and party or do things that don't necessarily fall under the category of "spiritual practices" it can be completely all about and for That.

@Bodhi: Same to you, my ecstatic brother.

quote:
I find it will come at the strangest times! :-) Often with a lot of joy.
Indeed! In fact it's a very ecstatic experience... Which might be the cause. The experience is always felt as a deepening of stillness and then a powerful surge of upwards energy which radiates out from the heart beyond the body, seemingly expanding my awareness out with it. Amazing stuff!

Catrynn: Thank you. I'm quite happy that you see raves in a new light. I feel like there is a lot of misunderstanding about it being mainly a drug culture... And even though those elements might be there at times, it really is so much more than that when you can sense the greater purpose in coming together with so many in unity to celebrate life, raising the collective consciousness and expressing love and peace for the good of the community.

I periodically receive emails from the local rave producer around my area, and I think in his own words he describes the ultimate, greater purpose in these parties so I will share;

quote:
"This party is all about togetherness, friendships and a sense of spirituality. These aspects were an integral part of raves as people were able to link into global consciousness. This party is about that consciousness. It is about being primal. And it is about stripping away all of the things that society has taught you. We encourage you all to let the music guide you to your Divine Moment of Truth."

"This celebration is to recognize that unified bond and the energy we feel when we've all reached that moment of euphoria as well as that moment of clarity when we realize what life is all about, when we recognize our greater purpose in life, and when we take major steps down a pathway of destiny."

Edited by - Chaz on Feb 12 2014 11:41:10 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000