Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Wise words on enlightening...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jan 20 2014 :  12:13:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
To Realize Enlightenment by Nan Huaijin, trans. by J.C. Cleary, pg. 155

"...What people who have awakened to the Path by illuminating mind and seeing true nature attain is fundamental wisdom. But they do not necessarily have differentiating wisdom. They can see inherent nature. But to be able to function from inherent nature, and to be able to perfect all merits and achievements -- that is really not easy."

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 22 2014 :  4:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2014 :  11:42:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Jeff,

quote:
Originally posted by jeff

"...What people who have awakened to the Path by illuminating mind and seeing true nature attain is fundamental wisdom. But they do not necessarily have differentiating wisdom. They can see inherent nature. But to be able to function from inherent nature, and to be able to perfect all merits and achievements -- that is really not easy."

Would you expand on the part of the quote about perfection of all merits and achievements?

Is Nan Huaijin referring to some being having perfected themselves or a certain sense of feeling as though the way one is moving through life is just perfect?

Thank you

Omsat
Go to Top of Page

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2014 :  11:14:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Reminds me of Yogani's realizations and hints along the path, specifically about those subtle linkages between stillness, ecstatic conductivity, worldly engagement, samyama, and unity. Not to bind in comparisons, but the ability to define these in ways that would be observable at some point along the path, as well as specifics (the practices) on how to do so with optimal effectiveness and in everyday life contexts verifies the quote and goes at least 10 steps further.

The words of the quote themselves are open-ended, so that aspects like differentiating wisdom, inherent nature, merits and achievements can fit multiple scenarios or layers, each of which is appropriate in valuating a progression from seeing inherent wisdom to functioning from it. I can very much see it also applying on a very personal level, where differentiations fall apart beginning with personal versus transpersonal or divine. Words, intellect, and descriptions don't really work there, where it's instead about being in open vulnerability and surrender, and following through with anything coming out of that process that I think fits with bhakti yoga, which would then become active surrender. The main insight from the quote standing out to me would be that 'seeing true nature' (most subtle of glimpses still count as experience, no matter which component) is a milestone along an open-ended process that expands back out into the world as much as it also transcends it.

Very relevant in timing and content over here. Thank you for sharing.
Go to Top of Page

jeff

USA
971 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2014 :  12:45:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Omsat

Hi Jeff,

quote:
Originally posted by jeff

Would you expand on the part of the quote about perfection of all merits and achievements?

Is Nan Huaijin referring to some being having perfected themselves or a certain sense of feeling as though the way one is moving through life is just perfect?

Thank you

Omsat

Hi Omstat,

From my perspective, he is describing the same point as number 4 in the Four Realizations thread...

"4. Later one realizes that what is realized and the one who realizes it are not two different things. Since you cannot find the one who realizes "enlightenment" or the boundaries of such a being, one goes from noticing "it" to being all of "it". The key is to not get caught up in either attachment or fears, which are the obstructions that blind one from all of "it". As one learns to just "reside", your immediate awareness naturally unfolds to become spontaneously perfected inherent clarity, and one knows that a normal person and a Buddha are really not two different things."

Specifically, by the "perfection of all merits and achievements" he is talking about the difference between "realization" and going deeper/further ("Buddha"). Beyond a certain sense, he is describing a knowing of what truly "is". Sort of the difference between realizing one is in a video game and "being" the video game. Perfect (or almost) clarity.

Edited by - jeff on Jan 26 2014 12:49:17 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bodhi Tree

2972 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2014 :  1:57:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bodhi Tree's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by AumNaturel

Reminds me of Yogani's realizations and hints along the path, specifically about those subtle linkages between stillness, ecstatic conductivity, worldly engagement, samyama, and unity. Not to bind in comparisons, but the ability to define these in ways that would be observable at some point along the path, as well as specifics (the practices) on how to do so with optimal effectiveness and in everyday life contexts verifies the quote and goes at least 10 steps further.

The words of the quote themselves are open-ended, so that aspects like differentiating wisdom, inherent nature, merits and achievements can fit multiple scenarios or layers, each of which is appropriate in valuating a progression from seeing inherent wisdom to functioning from it. I can very much see it also applying on a very personal level, where differentiations fall apart beginning with personal versus transpersonal or divine. Words, intellect, and descriptions don't really work there, where it's instead about being in open vulnerability and surrender, and following through with anything coming out of that process that I think fits with bhakti yoga, which would then become active surrender. The main insight from the quote standing out to me would be that 'seeing true nature' (most subtle of glimpses still count as experience, no matter which component) is a milestone along an open-ended process that expands back out into the world as much as it also transcends it.

Well said, Aum. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2014 :  7:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi jeff,

Thanks a lot for your reply, it's very helpful..

I had replied already, and see now that the post is missing, probably owing to internet connection failure..

Warm wishes
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000