New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  09:38:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Alvin,

I know the lifestyle isn't what made him healthy...in fact he lost his health towards the end of our career together. He started having really stinky gas, pimples and sunken in eyes. But when I first met him, he was probably one of the healthiest people I've seen. I think it was due to going through dive school, and something with the way his body reacted to oxygen because of that.

I think if he had kept up his lifestyle, as well as continued going through dive school, he would've stayed healthy. I think he was experiencing the physical effects of having a pure body through pranayama.

Anyway, if you can have both, Alvin, more power to you. That's like having your cake and eating it too, along with a pie of your choice.
Go to Top of Page

Alvin Chan

Hong Kong
407 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  11:01:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
btw, I don't really understand why people would enjoy drinking. It's certainly something one cannot stop easily. And it certainly feels "freer" when you're drunk, so it helps with depression. But on the next day, in my experience at least, I seem to have to pay all the debts and feel worse.

There doesn't seem to be a way of getting drunk frequently and stay healthy (which is quite important for spiritual progress, I think)

But for "having sex with wild girls", if anyone is so inclined, it's possible to do so in a yogic way by mastering tantric sex, right? It may not be "wild sex", though.
Go to Top of Page

david_obsidian

USA
2602 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  11:51:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
BTW, I was just joking about my 'Plan B'.

I personally can't stand alcohol, however, regarding drinking, it is very pleasurable to many people. After trying it for a while, the 'buzz' they get from it quickly colors the experience, so even if something is even unquestionably physically unpleasant to begin with (such as smoking) it changes into a net short-term pleasure.

But on the next day, in my experience at least, I seem to have to pay all the debts and feel worse.

True; but you're able to put longer-term pleasure before immediate though. If you were an addict, you would have difficulty doing that.

Edited by - david_obsidian on Aug 14 2006 11:53:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  4:49:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Nicole

Jim, I asked my friend who is a nutritionist what he thinks of your sweet smell issue. He asked if you are drinking enough water. He said your body might not be getting rid of toxins properly. Also that it is a good sign you’re perspiring, but to consider getting blood work done to check your liver enzymes if you are concerned about it.

If sweat has a sweet smell to it.. it is generally a sign of diabetes. But I think Jim said his sweat is odorless (unless his sweat has started smelling like Downy or Tide or ?).. from what I have read, odorless sweat is a sign of Vata constitution... and sweet smelling sweat is sign of dominant Kapha constitution...
Not sure what that means tho..

Edited by - Shanti on Aug 14 2006 5:11:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hunter

USA
252 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  6:35:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Hunter's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
My sweat smells like Fenugreek and Cumin.
I enjoy smelling like the food that I cook.
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Aug 14 2006 :  11:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shweta,

Do you always believe what you read? If Jim doesn't have signs of diabetes, but has this sweet smelling sweat, then what you've heard has been false. In my experience, people with diabetes smell bad.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  09:02:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Scott

Shweta,

Do you always believe what you read? If Jim doesn't have signs of diabetes, but has this sweet smelling sweat, then what you've heard has been false. In my experience, people with diabetes smell bad.

Hi Scott,
No, I don't believe everything I read.. that is why I don't read much
This was one of the symptoms to look for in Ayurveda.. at at least it was in India. I just looked it up and the American Diabetes Association says one of the symptoms is sweet-smelling breath.. well maybe not the same thing.. At the diabetic forum some of the symptoms were "sweet smelling urine and sweet smelling breath" .. so maybe I am wrong.
Sorry if I have given wrong info here..
Thanks Scott.
Go to Top of Page

Richard

United Kingdom
857 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  09:04:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi with diabetes the breath smells of almonds or acetone like nail varnish remover its very distinctive.

Richard

Edited by - Richard on Aug 15 2006 09:06:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  09:37:34 AM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Shweta,

I know what you mean about the reading! No need to apologize for adding your input. You may have been right. I certainly don't know.

But you're right about diabetic people having different smelling stuff. They're dumping their sugar because insulin isn't using the sugar.

Richard,

You're absolutely right about that. A lot of people wouldn't say the smells are "sweet".
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Aug 15 2006 :  8:56:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
No diabetes...just had blood test. And my constitution is pitta/vata, though more pitta these days.

Interestingly, as this latest spike of kundalini has died down, my sweat is smelling more like my old sweat. Still pretty sweet, but a faint note of funk has returned.

Kundalini causing general purification and sweet smells from the body is something lots of sources talk about. But I've been having on/off kundalini for a year and a half, and this is the first time I've noticed this effect.

Weird. Who knows.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  01:38:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Missed a number of practice slots this week, have been very busy and distracted, kundalini has been dormant.

Hot weather today, underarms smelled funky.

Go to Top of Page

sadhak

India
604 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  02:26:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit sadhak's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and His Karma

Missed a number of practice slots this week, have been very busy and distracted, kundalini has been dormant.

Hot weather today, underarms smelled funky.

There she goes... your answer
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  10:33:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by sadhak

[quote]There she goes... your answer

I'm convinced of the correlation, but still don't understand the how or why. I guess the usual Indian explanation of "purity" doesn't fit, since I couldn't have gotten SO impure in just a couple days (purification refers to lifetimes of accummulated karma, and one doesn't backtrack that far that quick...proven, btw, by my meditation last night which opened me back up pretty handily).

Maybe I will after all go buy some PH strips.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on Aug 21 2006 10:34:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2006 :  4:07:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I think it may be some sort of hormone or combination of chemicals that the body releases which smells sweet. It will probably happen again for you if you continue in the practices you were doing.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2006 :  12:58:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just bought some ph strips to check it out. There is standard litmus paper for urine that comes in a roll at the health food store and I found some two color tests online that help me see finer gradations.

I'm having fun with it, but it says that my alkalinity is a bit too high. It might be b/c of my high fruit diet these days, but more likely I'm taking too many mineral supplements.

fwiw, my sweat is only a tiny bit stinky these days but I went on a strict steak, liquor, and cigarette fast this weekend and on Sunday I began to be very stinky.

I had to dig up some antiperspirant so I'd still be allowed to play in all the reindeer games.

But my ph stays still quite high after all that.

Overall, sattvic diet enhancement is reducing my stinkiness.

btw, Great book: The China Study. A diet book by an actual diet researcher making a great case for a vegan diet for health reasons. He says that going low fat vegan dramatically improves blood circulation which I believe may be helpful for us yoga types.
Go to Top of Page

Yoda

USA
284 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2006 :  2:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Yoda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
This doesn't seem to apply to Jim's situation, but I just read in Dr McDougall's "Digestive Tune Up" that a primary source of body odor and bad breath are foods that are high in sulfur, ie all animal products and some plant products like garlic and onions.

Go to Top of Page

Scott

USA
969 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2006 :  7:41:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Scott's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Here's some information directly from my Human Anatomy class...

There are two types of sweat glands: apocrine and eccrine. Apocrine are in your armpits and pubic regions, and they produce a viscous cloudy solution which reacts with bacteria to produce an odor. Eccrine are all over the rest of your body, and they secrete something very close to urine (which is probably why it's recommended to rub the perpiration back into your body in some yogic texts...to produce the amaroli effect). Note that apocrine sweat glands don't actually produce sweat...it's a different secretion than the rest of the body.

Apocrine glands aren't turned on until hormones activate them, around puberty.

Yoga is thought to slow down the metabolism (which means less chemical reactions taking place in your body). Perhaps the hormones which activate the apocrine sweat glands are shut off, with a low enough metabolism?

That would explain the odorless sweat...but sweet smelling sweat, I don't know about.

Enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  12:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Years later, much more open and flowing and less blocked, roaring kundalini accommodated with poise.......I smell awful. Especially when exercising, or stressed.

That's how this stuff works. Forward and back, forward and back. We read those fawning spiritual books where people talk about "clearing" karma and resolving issues and achieving enduring levels of purification. Super humanity! It's all bullsh*t. We all have SO much cleaning to be done. Any notion of an "arrival point" is sheer delusion. We never arrive. There's only process.

We do have little plateaus en route (e.g. my temporarily sweet sweat), but don't worry, that which is momentarily clear will soon cloud over. That which has arrived will soon depart again. That which is high will lower. And just let it. And just be with the mantra in your practice. The practice is what matters.

You know you're into the good stuff when you have no freaking idea what's going on. If you think you understand it and mentally "own" it, you're just doing more mind stuff. Ah, I'm so pure, my sweat is so sweet...I'm so purified. Ha, superman, see what happens next month!

Nothing to do but yield.

Edited by - Jim and His Karma on May 20 2009 12:13:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Victor

USA
910 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  06:18:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Heh, good to hear Jim. I was concerned that something was wrong with me because after all these years of practice my sweat still smelled bad when I was stressed and I have no idea whhat is going on with my process. I guess those are now good signs ;)
Go to Top of Page

Jim and His Karma

2111 Posts

Posted - May 20 2009 :  12:11:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Neither good nor bad. Just stuff!

And if you ever have an idea what's going on with your process, you're just on a mind trip. Cuz it ain't your process. "Your process" learns French or ballroom dancing. This is the universe's process, and you have nothing to do with it. Just let the cosmic barber trim your hair. I haven't the slightest freakin' idea what he's got going on. The stuff I can conceive of is inherently limited, finite, and flawed.
Go to Top of Page

Lacinato

USA
98 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  3:01:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lacinato's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nice update. Thanks :)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000