Discussions on AYP Pranayama, Mudras and Bandhas
 Increasing efficiency in SB
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

karmic

India
19 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  12:42:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Hello All,

This is my first posting on the forum. First and foremost, a sincere thanks to the AYP community for coming up with such a wonderful DIY resource!

Im practising AYP for around 2 weeks now. I have observed that for every 2-3 breaths taken in slow and attentive manner, i have to kind of "reset" my lungs by taking few breaths in normal fashion. That is basically reducing the effeciency of the process to hardly 40-50% range.

What is the experience of AYP practisioner who are in this practise for long time (pref. 6months or more) ? Are they able to sustain breathing in pranayamam style throughout the 10mins? Is there any way (any supplementary practices) to increase the lung capacity besides regular practise?

Also, while searching ooutside AYP material, I came across a timing of 45secs per breathing cycle(inhave+exhale) which translates to a mere 13-15 breathing cycle in 10mins duration!! thats quite an amazing and formidable figure

Thanks for your inputs in advance..

AumNaturel

Canada
687 Posts

Posted - Jan 10 2014 :  08:43:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Karmic. Welcome to the forums.

First thought comes to mind is to try and relax into the breathing. In other words, let the state of meditation sort of overflow into pranayama. Tensing up, either by trying to control the muscles in breathing to match some ideal, or by focusing without letting the focus emerge from relaxation, does in my experience lead to a sort of constriction.

I wouldn't worry about increasing breath capacity, but instead of increasing efficiency of the breathing process. In meditation, you can notice the breath slowing down on its own. Pranayama is like an extension of this increased efficiency, so that the breath can be expanded, eventually to a full yogic breath: inhale - lower abdomen expanding progressively up torso and out in all directions at lungs, then collar bones slightly up, exhale - reverse, collar bones lowering, etc. down to abdomen.

If just starting out with pranayama, take it very gently, giving it time to settle in to the body's learned skill set. The first lessons on pranayama suggest to start with visualizing the spine and matching the tracing with breathing. Only later more elements are added, gradually.

I've never timed a breath cycle length during pranayama, but yes, it does slow down quite a bit with practice. I have also done matching the breath with body movements, and so have been at it for a long while before pranayama, and certainly I struggled and still do in that sense, and am left with unanswered questions in that regard. Take it gradually, relax into it, and the need to 'reset' will fade.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000