What are you reading?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 14 2010 :  03:44:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"living by the words of Bhagavan" by David Godman.

it's like a Milarepa tale of guru and disciple between Annamalai swami and Bhagavan Sri Ramana Maharshi.

if you like to know Maharshi's character best, then i suggest reading this book.

L&L
Go to Top of Page

Jivaakabhasana_Yogi

USA
49 Posts

Posted - Feb 15 2010 :  4:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Jivaakabhasana_Yogi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Aauummm Gammm Ganapataye Namah'

I have been reading Adi Sankaracharya's Viveka-Chudamani (Crest Jewel of Wisdom.) I say "read it", but I tend to "read it" in the fashion of doing Samyama, to avoid "castles in the sky," etc...

I tend to want to read from it, and dive into the stillness, read some more, dive back in, etc...

EVERYBODY INTO the POOL!

~Jivaakabhasana_Yogi

--
"...all energy is only borrowed; at some point you have to return it"
~Neytiri
~Avatar
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  10:12:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Play of Consciousness" by Swami Muktananda.

an autobiographical book about the beautiful experiences which happen to those who follow the path of Mother kundalini.

of course not everyone's experiences are the same, but the similarities are definitely there and some stuff are almost exactly the same.

L&L
Go to Top of Page

Anthem

1608 Posts

Posted - Feb 17 2010 :  5:06:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just finished "The Fifth Agremment" by Don Miguel Ruiz and Don Jose Ruiz. In my opinion the best of his books, really enjoyed it and recommend it highly.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  2:32:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Im reading "From the stars" by Enrique Barrios. A very spiritual and great book. Is abou a 10 years old boy who has has an extraterrestrial friend that tell him about other civilitations with higher evolution than this planet.
Its a best seller and has been translated to many languages.
The feelings while reading it are amazing and very spiritual.

Also "True meditation" by adyashanti.

Edited by - miguel on Mar 15 2010 2:33:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2010 :  2:56:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Remember, Be Here Now" by Ram Dass "audiobook"

great sense of humor and one hell of a ride and a beautiful message in it for the people who are or used to be in psychadelics...
Go to Top of Page

Shivoham

India
107 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2010 :  12:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shivoham's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am reading
End of seeking Spiritual practice
http://www.scribd.com/doc/33311913/...ual-Practice
Go to Top of Page

RO0o

Argentina
40 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2010 :  09:00:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit RO0o's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Tripura Rahasya (The Mystery beyond the Trinity)

http://sriramanamaharshi.org/Allpub_demo.html
Go to Top of Page

Balance

USA
967 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2010 :  11:26:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Balance's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
'The Holy Science' by Swami Sri Yukteswar

'Each Moment is the Universe' by Dainin Katagiri

'The Zen Teachings of Huang Po -- On the Transmission of Mind'
translated by John Blofeld

and tea leaves and whatever blows around

Edited by - Balance on Jun 29 2010 05:39:57 AM
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2010 :  8:56:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Jesus by deepak chopra.
Really interesting book
Go to Top of Page

yogalover10

USA
3 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2010 :  7:06:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
currently I have been reading this blog: http://yogaearth.com/blog/. They provide all kinds of information relating to yoga.
Go to Top of Page

miguel

Spain
1197 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2010 :  10:52:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"St mary magdalene: the gnostic tradition of the holy bride" by Tau Malchy. Really interesting stuff!

The next one will be the original edition of "autobiography of a yogi" by yogananda (1946).This first edition has very much material that was deleted by s.r.f.

Namasté.

Edited by - miguel on Jul 16 2010 12:49:27 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tibetan_Ice

Canada
758 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2010 :  5:56:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi. :)

"Mind in the Balance" by B. Alan Wallace

I'm reading this book for the second time.

It is an excellent book and is having quite an impact on me.

It explains so much about the different kinds of medition and practices, contains a historical perspective of the evolution of the mind, compares Christianity with Buddhism and contains several meditative practices with very clear instruction.

I would vote this book to be one of the best that I've ever read.

TI
Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  09:48:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Reading Be Here Now, by Ram Dass.

Very beautiful, right on. Straight to the heart.

There's a sentence that I really like there relating to Karma Yoga:

"You do what you do because that's what the harmony of the universe requires"

Beautiful.
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - Jul 29 2010 :  10:11:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Reading "The Journeys of Socrates" by author Dan Millman (the guy who wrote the way of the peaceful warrior)

And the book is one hell of a read!
Go to Top of Page

jean

Germany
107 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  12:39:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am reading "Discovery of the Presence of God: Devotional Nonduality" from David Hawkins.
Probably the best book I have read from him so far.
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Aug 12 2010 :  3:15:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Secrets of Wilder (2nd time)
and " Re-Embodiment or Human Incarnations" by Yogagnani written in 1930
I saw the book on Ebay and bought it for $1.00.
Has anybody ever heard of this book or this author?
Guy
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2010 :  9:21:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Just finished The Secrets of Wilder yesterday. A lot of Shakti in that one, I think. I was a creative writing major and I've published a lot of short stories, so it usually takes a lot for a novel to touch me emotionally, but this one did one several occasions.
Go to Top of Page

Kirtanman

USA
1651 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  4:29:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Kirtanman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Tibetan_Ice

Hi. :)

"Mind in the Balance" by B. Alan Wallace

I'm reading this book for the second time.

It is an excellent book and is having quite an impact on me.

It explains so much about the different kinds of medition and practices, contains a historical perspective of the evolution of the mind, compares Christianity with Buddhism and contains several meditative practices with very clear instruction.

I would vote this book to be one of the best that I've ever read.

TI

Hi TI & All,

Just to "second that" .... I've read several books by B. Alan Wallace, including Embracing Mind and Hidden Dimensions, and highly recommend anything by him.

He has the unique perspective of someone with a Western scientific and philosophical education, and experience as a Buddhist monk. He has worked closely with the Dalai Lama as an interpreter and organizer for the Mind and Life conferences, which are an annual roundtable conference with the Dalai Lama and Western scientists.

B. Alan Wallace is not only highly qualified to discuss areas of synergy, as well as areas of confusion, between spiritual and scientific paradigms, but also contributes some unique insights (i.e. he makes points regarding both science and spirituality that I have not seen from any other author).

"Highly Recommended!"

More info is available on his website at http://www.alanwallace.org/

Go to Top of Page

krcqimpro1

India
329 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2010 :  11:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
"Messages from the Masters", "One Soul, Many Bodies"' by Brian Weiss.

Excellent book on reincarnation.Useful tips on Dos and Don'ts for a happy spiritual and material life.

Krish
Go to Top of Page

stevenbhow

Japan
352 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2010 :  12:45:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit stevenbhow's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kirtanman, I finished Hidden Dimensions a few weeks ago. Fantastic book!
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - May 20 2012 :  4:21:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

I recently re-read Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse after quite a few years, and found it to be particularly instructive on the illusions we may encounter (and often not notice) along our spiritual path.

Recommended for anyone who feels like they have found the "inside track" on enlightenment with AYP or any other teaching. There is something else to consider. What? Read it and see.

Paperback on Amazon, or a less expensive paperback here.
Available as a free ebook from Amazon Kindle and on Project Gutenberg.
(and even an audiobook -- see all the formats listed on the Amazon Kindle page)

All the best!

The guru is in you.
Go to Top of Page

maheswari

Lebanon
2516 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  01:51:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
this book was offered to me as a gift in 2006...i was in canada doing my ttc..and one teacher gave it to me...at that time i was only into kirtan,hard core asanas and pranayama....no meditation no self enquiry....so this book did not really touch me...it was like reading litterature (at that time i dont why it reminded me of Samuel Beckett books)
after ttc started meditating 2 times per day ....ie the real spritual transformative work...so re reading the book was very revelative
Go to Top of Page

mr_anderson

USA
734 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  07:42:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit mr_anderson's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Currently reading:

Vijnana Bhairava: The Manual for Self-Realization by Swami Lakshmanjoo. It contains 112 spiritual practices for reaching enlightenment.

A Course in Consciousness by Stanley Sobottka - google this it's a free e-book download. He's emeritus professor in physics at University of Virginia, but I believe he also has direct non-dual realization. It puts enlightenment in context with the latest development in physics, and then goes onto a truly excellent guide to using many different jnana yoga techniques as a spiritual practice, teaching us to use the intellect to slice through confusion and ignorance.

The Transparency of Things by Rupert Spira. Haven't started this yet but: The purpose of Rupert's book is to look clearly and simply at the nature of experience, without any attempt to change it. A series of contemplations lead us gently but directly to see that our essential nature is neither a body nor a mind. It is the conscious Presence that is aware of this current experience. As such it is nothing that can be experienced as an object and yet it is undeniably present. However, these contemplations go much further than this. As we take our stand knowingly as this conscious Presence that we always already are, and reconsider the objects of the body, mind and world, we find that they do not simply appear to this Presence, they appear within it. And further exploration reveals that they do not simply appear within this Presence but as this Presence. Finally we are led to see that it is in fact this very Presence itself that takes the shape of our experience from moment to moment whilst always remaining only itself. We see that our experience is and has only ever been one seamless totality with no separate entities or objects anywhere to be found.

7 Steps to Awakening (Ramana Maharshi (Author), Nisargadatta Maharaj (Author), Vasistha (Author), Sankara (Author), Sadhu Om (Author), Muruganar (Author), Annamalai Swami (Author). This is a collection of well-organized quotes from those authors.

The Direct Path : A user's guide by Greg Goode. I dip into this one when I'm feeling very quiet and deep inner silence is present. "Have you ever done nondual inquiry and said to yourself, "I understand it intellectually but I don't feel it. It's not my experience!" If so, The Direct Path could be for you. This book is the "missing manual" to the Direct Path. For the first time in print, Direct-Path inquiry is presented from beginning to end and beyond, in a "user-friendly" way. The core of the book is a set of 40 experiments designed to help dissolve the most common nondual sticking points from simple to subtle. The experiments cover the world, the body, the mind, abstract objects and witnessing awareness. You are taken step by step from the simple perception of a physical object all the way to the collapse of the witness into pure consciousness. Your "take-away" is that there's no experiential doubt that you and all things are awareness, openness and love."

Am on week 3 of my third time through The Presence Process by Michael Brown. This is a deep journey into the heart and the tendency to react emotionally to life (with anger, grief, fear or their derivative emotions). Slowly we enter deeply into our pain body and find freedom from our habitual reactive tendencies, in many cases integrating the tendency to react, so that where once there was emotional reactivity, there is now calm, clear presence.

More and more I find spiritual practice is every single waking moment of day to day life. Mundane day to day life is really the greatest the guru we have available to us if met in the right way.

So that's my list, well that and Pandora the Vampire and Vittorio the Vampire by Anne Rice. Just finished Pandora, now onto Vittorio
Go to Top of Page

Ananda

3115 Posts

Posted - May 21 2012 :  08:04:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ananda's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Notes on Spiritual discourses of Sri Atmananda Krishna Menon:
http://www.scribd.com/doc/91361577/...l-Discourses
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000