New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Manipura

USA
870 Posts

Posted - Feb 16 2007 :  06:36:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Manipura's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'll check out Nisargadatta. I'm reading 'Emptiness Dancing' by Adyashanti. It has forever changed my understanding of enlightenment. I highly recommend his books to anyone who appreciates the clarity and no-nonsense approach of Yogani's Enlightenment Series.

"Enlightenment is nothing more than the complete absence of resistance to what is. End of story." -Adyashanti
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - May 27 2007 :  09:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I have been reading a book Real Love by Greg Baer... He and Katie seem to believe in the same thing.. "When you argue with reality, you lose 100 percent of the time".

Well, as many here already know I am a huge Katie fan (Byron Katie, "Loving what is".. for those not familiar with it.. there is a nice summary here).. when there is a situation that could use some self inquiry... ask 4 questions and turn it around.. Has been working great for me.. What this book (Real Love) has helped me with, is to see my own getting/protecting behaviour. Once you learn to see your own unconscious reactions to situations.. it's almost like you can smile at it and let it dissolve.. and once this happens.. it is so much easier to "turn it around" (as we at the forum say..Katie it :)...) .. its amazing.. The more I can see my mind patterns .. the more I see myself being freed from it..

This is Greg Baer's website http://www.reallove.com/ and his blogs http://www.reallovecoaching.net/blog/greg/
Go to Top of Page

IcedEarth

73 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  09:40:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit IcedEarth's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. I started reading The Hobbit last year and the creative humor quickly got me interested in the series. I love the author´s lively descriptions of the land of Middle Earth. It makes me feel right at home.
Go to Top of Page

yogibear

409 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  5:15:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I just finished Secrets of Wilder and I am currently reading Samyama by Yogani.

Both are great. I like the former because it talks more about the AYPs from the view point of someone who is practicing them and experiencing the results. I picked up some very helpful practice insights from it. I like the latter because it makes more clear some things about manifesting positive changes in daily life.

Also, I am reading The Path of Fire and Light by Swami Rama. The subtitle says it all:
Advanced Practices of Yoga. Lots of good info on subtle breathing.

One other: Raja Yoga by Selvarajan Yesudian and Elisabeth Haich. A great book, formerly entitled Yoga, Uniting East and West which explains Raja Yoga (steps 5-8 in particular) from both an eastern and western point of view. In fact, it teaches Yoga from a new testament perspective and Christianity from a yogic perspective. Pretty neat.

Edited by - yogibear on Jun 04 2007 01:31:51 AM
Go to Top of Page

blujett8

USA
47 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  5:03:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Byron Katie's newwest book written with stephen mitchell is really really amazing!
"A Thousand Names For Joy"
Go to Top of Page

Swami Vajra

42 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  7:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Swami Vajra's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Nearly finished with "The Second Coming of Christ: The resurrection of the Christ Within You" A revelatory commentary on the original teachings of Jesus.
Go to Top of Page

VIL

USA
586 Posts

Posted - Jun 18 2007 :  9:30:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm reading "Journey of Souls" by Michael Newton, since a friend insisted that I read it and even got me the book.

Here's the thing, I never believed in reincarnation and I'm starting to question my beliefs from some of the case studies I've read.

VIL
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Aug 06 2007 :  09:31:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Have been reading an awesome book...
Witch of Portobello by Paulo Coelho

If you'd like to sample the book.. you can read the first few chapters here..
http://en.paulocoelhoblog.com/witch-of-portobello/
Go to Top of Page

Lancer Wolf

USA
6 Posts

Posted - Aug 21 2007 :  01:27:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lancer Wolf's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Swami Vajra

Nearly finished with "The Second Coming of Christ: The resurrection of the Christ Within You" A revelatory commentary on the original teachings of Jesus.

Wow, that's quite the undertaking; that 2 volume work is massive!

Recently finished:
Life After Death: The Burden of Proof by Deepak Chopra
Shogun by James Clavell (not spiritual but a fantastic story)

Currently Reading:
Divine Mercy by Sister Faustina
The Essence of the Bhagavad Gita by Swami Kriyananda

Go to Top of Page

Suryakant

USA
259 Posts

Posted - May 29 2008 :  12:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I am reading I Am That: Talks with Sri Nisargadatta by Nisargadatta Maharaj (Author), Sudhaker S. Diksh*t (Editor), Maurice Frydman (Translator).

Also, I am reading Stories of Indian Saints: Translation of Mahipati's Bhakta-Vijaya, a reprint of the edition published in Poona in 1933.

Edited by - Suryakant on May 29 2008 2:26:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - May 30 2008 :  12:53:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
The Celestine Prophecy, by James Redfield.

Fiction, and his first work, from the reading of it. But I would recommend it.
Go to Top of Page

sushman

India
86 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2008 :  12:37:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit sushman's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
(1) I read 'The Tibetan book of Living and Dying' by Sogyal Rinpoche few years back. It had profound spiritual effect on me. I dropped eating meat since then. May be its a coincidence, dont't know. But its a very good book.

(2) I recently read 'The Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle. Its a great book. I think I need to keep reading it again and again to practice the 'Now' on a regular basis. It was a great inspiration to me.

(3) Currently, I am reading 'Finding Forgiveness' by EILEEN R.BORRIS-DUNCHUNSTANG,ED.D.
Its a good book if you want to let go off suffering in your life.
Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  05:00:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Shanti,

I love that book of Coelho ! Actually I love all his books, but that one in special is a very good one.

Sat Nam
Neli

quote:
Originally posted by Shanti

Go to Top of Page

gumpi

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  10:17:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit gumpi's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Finished reading "the spiritual brain", a neuroscientists case for the existence of the soul. he takes on the likes of Richard Dawkins etc.

Really into the radhasoami sant mat kind of books at the moment. Kirpal Singh etc. Decent info here.

Mainly just the usual stuff - Yogananda, Vivekananda, Ennio Nimis.

The Autobiography of Hamid Bey "My experiences preceeding 5,000 burials". Some interesting stuff in there. Mainly that of self-induced catalepsy by pressing on the carotid arteries in the neck and doing kechari mudra after lowering his heart rate. A fast for a whole day beforehand gets rid of toxins in the blood which helps the metabolism slow down. Once in trance the heart rate goes down to 4 bpm and respiration stops. He says it is vital to block air coming in otherwise death can result. In other words, don't try this at home!

Someone that knew Hamid Bey told me he once went for a burial for a whole week in duration. I have a photograph of it.

When Bey is in self-induced samadhi he is unconscious except he sometimes has OBEs and other psychic experiences.
Go to Top of Page

Shanti

USA
4854 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  10:34:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Shanti's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by neli

Shanti,

I love that book of Coelho ! Actually I love all his books, but that one in special is a very good one.

Sat Nam
Neli

quote:

Yep, I think it was one of his best.
You can feel how much he has progressed spiritually in this book, since The Alchemist.
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  12:36:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi,
I am currently reading 'The first 30 days, your guide to any change (and loving your life more)by Ariane de Bonvoisin.
This might help those struggling with the changes experienced from following a spiritual path and is a good read.
www.first30days.com
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Guy_51

USA
170 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2008 :  8:31:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Guy_51's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Dave:

Thanks for the recommendation of "The First 30 Days" What's the essence of the teaching? By the way, I've really enjoyed your contributions to the AYP Forum over the past few years.

Best regards:

Guy
Go to Top of Page

riptiz

United Kingdom
741 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2008 :  6:04:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit riptiz's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Guy,
Thank you very much for your kind words. I hope I speak from a non-judgemental aspect in my posts but none of us are perfect.
'The First30days' is about strategies to see the positive in change in our lives.Also Ariane talks about accepting that change brings good results in the end.Well we all hope it does.LOL
L&L
Dave
Go to Top of Page

neli

USA
283 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2008 :  3:21:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit neli's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Shanti,

I'm reading the book of the Alchemist, all his books have like little secrets to the path of enlightenment. Also a very good book is

"A Journey to You Shaman" by Ross Heaven, as shamanism uses a lot of meditation or "trance" that for me is the same. I really don't see much difference between them, but maybe I'm wrong.

Sat Nam
Neli

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by neli

Shanti,

Sat Nam
Neli

quote:

Yep, I think it was one of his best.
You can feel how much he has progressed spiritually in this book, since The Alchemist.

Go to Top of Page

TVD

USA
13 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2008 :  09:57:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit TVD's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Kali's Odiyya: A shaman's true story of initiation by Amarananda Bhairavan
Meditations by Marcus Aurelius
Diet, Shatkarmas and Amaroli by Yogani
Einstein's Dreams By Alan Lightman (a really beautiful book)
Dr. Jekyll and Mr.Hyde by Robert Louis Stevenson (I think this book has a deeper message than most people give it credit for)
Logomachy Of Zos by Austin Osman Spare (http://hermetic.com/spare/index.html)
Symbolism in Hinduism compiled by Swami Nityanand (I sampled it here, http://www.aypsite.org/forum/topic....&whichpage=2)
http://vignanabhairavatantra.blogspot.com/(not a book, but on a list of things to read I'd have to put this, even if it is incomplete I think it's more comprehensive than Osho's or Daniel Odier's version of this Tantra)
Shin Angyo Onshi, which is a Manwha (Korean Comic book) but it's still REALLY good. You can read it online at http://www.onemanga.com/Shin_Angyo_Onshi/
Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam

Edited by - TVD on Sep 20 2008 9:36:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

thibaud05

France
86 Posts

Posted - Jan 13 2009 :  12:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi all,
I am deep into "In search of the miraculous : fragments of an unknown teaching" by P.D Ouspenski based on the teachings of the 4th way by Gurdjieff. There is a tremendous wealth of esoteric knowledge here to be taken with consideration and caution. It's that kind of book to me that has magnetic presence and resonance. The ideas I found here are very challenging and provoking, and that's just what I like. For example according to Gurdjieff, Kundalini is the last thing a man with his senses would desire to awaken because he links Kundalini with the power of illusion, of one living in his imagination instead of reality.
Works beautifully as a much needed wake up call when one starts feeling a bit lost in the myriads of beliefs and mystical systems.
Highly recommended for the inquiring mind.

Edited by - thibaud05 on Jan 13 2009 4:46:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

NagoyaSea

424 Posts

Posted - Jan 25 2009 :  12:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I recently finished the book “Animal, Vegetable, Miracle” by Barbara Kingsolver. I enjoyed it and learned from it. It has inspired some changes in my own food purchases and way of living. For some time I've been trying not to buy food that was transported hundreds or thousands of miles to our locale. I'm trying to think in terms of energy cost for food production and consumption and what it means to sustainability for our planet.

The book chronicled a year in a family’s life after a decision to “eat locally”. They moved from Arizona to rural Virginia where they had inherited some land. They grew as much of their own food as possible, and kept chickens and turkeys. They supplemented that with purchases from the local farmer’s market. And to get through the cold Virginia winters, they canned, froze, dried and ‘put by’ as much food as they could from their harvest.

They did have to make some purchases at the grocery store but when they did, they tried to buy only items that were shipped less than one hundred miles to their area. They ended up making a switch to eating what was in season for their area.

Interspersed with the narrative of their efforts were essays about the commercial food industry, locavores, nutrition and recipes. Parts of the book were really funny and parts were a little dry.

Kathy
Go to Top of Page

yogani

USA
5195 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  2:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit yogani's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi All:

"The End of Your World" by Adyashanti (new book)

Practical advice for those dipping in and out of unity/non-duality experiences.

The advice is specific to "Adya-Zen-style" awakenings, which can be a little (or very) rough. We avoid much of that (or hope to) in AYP with the pre-cultivation of abiding inner silence -- the witness. Even so, Adyashanti offers a lot of practical information here for anyone who is involved in self-inquiry and non-duality. Good stuff!

The guru is in you.

Go to Top of Page

Yonatan

Israel
849 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  3:16:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
I'm currently reading "I AM THAT" by Nissargadatta Maharaj.

I read it little by little. It's very profound..

I want to recommend the book "Siddhartha" by Herman Hesse, for anyone who hasn't read it, I read it a long time ago but got reminded of it recently, it's a really great novel..
Go to Top of Page

Simon

Germany
36 Posts

Posted - May 21 2009 :  3:42:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Simon's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
I'm currently reading "I AM THAT" by Nissargadatta Maharaj.

I read it little by little. It's very profound..

Me too :) It's awesome, isn't it ? I've never read a spiritual book with such deepness and clarity before.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000