Illuminated Poetry, Quotations and Stories
 Sanskrit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  12:50:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Message
Namaste,

Has any of you learnt Sanskrit?
How did you experience the process?

Somehow when I listen to Sanskrit, or just read its transliteration in Roman characters, it does something.. Just like spiritual practices have that little something..

I'm not sure whether it is the language itself or the vibration of the context (as Sanskrit is mostly used for conveying spiritual content).

Have you experienced something similar?

Omsat

PS:

For those of you who speak a language of India, I have a little practical question also:
Would learning Sanskrit also allow one to understand this language?

I realize the latter question may be beyond the scope of the AYP Support Forums, so perhaps a personal message is more in place for answering this linguistic question..

kami

USA
920 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  06:11:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Omsat,

I have the same experience with Sanskrit. Somehow those words convey much more than what is gotten by translation. I find that the resonance and power of Sanskrit mantras cannot be compared to any other. I don't have formal training in it, but having grown up with it, I can understand it to an extent...

Wrt to your second question - some Indian languages are derived from Sanskrit and some are not (for example Tamil, which is considered a Dravidian language). There are many common words across the 20+ official Indian languages. Hindi has many more words derived from Sanskrit than most and the script is the same (Devanagari), although the grammar is drastically different. If you learn Sanskrit, you may be able to understand those common words.

Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2013 :  3:51:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Yes, Omsat. It is the finest language to ever have graced my ears. Its resonance is potent, and its content profound. It sings through the air as blood runs through the heart.
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2013 :  10:19:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Hi Kami,

Thank you for sharing your sensitive experience with the beautiful language, and the further helpful reply.

Are Sanskrit and Hindi pronunciation the same?
(Will it help to learn Hindi pronunciation to pronounce Sanskrit well?)

Omsat

quote:
Originally posted by kami

Hi Omsat,

I have the same experience with Sanskrit. Somehow those words convey much more than what is gotten by translation. I find that the resonance and power of Sanskrit mantras cannot be compared to any other. I don't have formal training in it, but having grown up with it, I can understand it to an extent...

Wrt to your second question - some Indian languages are derived from Sanskrit and some are not (for example Tamil, which is considered a Dravidian language). There are many common words across the 20+ official Indian languages. Hindi has many more words derived from Sanskrit than most and the script is the same (Devanagari), although the grammar is drastically different. If you learn Sanskrit, you may be able to understand those common words.

Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 19 2013 :  10:24:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply

Hi Anima Deorum,

Thank you for sharing your felt-through experience with Sanskrit.

Do you know Sanskrit through mantras/scriptures only, or also as a language that you are learning?

Omsat

quote:
Originally posted by Anima Deorum

Yes, Omsat. It is the finest language to ever have graced my ears. Its resonance is potent, and its content profound. It sings through the air as blood runs through the heart.

Edited by - Omsat on Dec 19 2013 10:35:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Dec 21 2013 :  10:05:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Namaste, Omsat. Yes, I have been studying it, slowly.
Go to Top of Page

Omsat

Belgium
267 Posts

Posted - Dec 26 2013 :  10:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
quote:
Originally posted by Anima Deorum

Namaste, Omsat. Yes, I have been studying it, slowly.

Hi Anima D,

Nice to hear that you've been studying Sanskrit. For how long already? How did you get started and your current ability?

Thanks, just being curious.. Also, do you speak Hindi or another language closely derived from Sanskrit?

Omsat
Go to Top of Page

Anima

484 Posts

Posted - Dec 30 2013 :  9:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote  Get a Link to this Reply
Ive studied it in my spare time for like 6 months or so. I can only read a little. I really would like more friends, to be honest.

But I do sing verses to the Lord. Im very blessed for that.

Have a great New Year

Love
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
AYP Public Forum © Contributing Authors (opinions and advice belong to the respective authors) Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000